View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #11
KevinM

Hi Daniel,

I'm thinking that this is not the kind of shot that would have me digging my heels in with RP. Like you, I do lots of charters and there's always SOMEBODY who is fortunate enough to have positioned him/herself to get the best composition of anybody on the charter. Most of the time, that somebody is not me. My best shots actually occur when I'm not shoulder-to-shoulder with others.

In the case of JMF's shot, he's got the composition and the action. In an image like this, action is pretty important. I might have asked one of the crew to "pose" as if he was moving the levers, even though it might not have been possible to actually perform the action. That would have given you a similar shot to JMF's. RP has been awfully lenient lately about STP (Similar to Previous). I see them all the time now. I suspect they would have taken yours, and if not, Lloyd's advice would apply. Wait until everyone forgets.

As the Kenny Rogers tune once said: "You've got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em."

I used to be obsessed with how many charter shots I could post. That is no longer the case. I post far more stuff on Flickr than I do here. The audience here seems to get sick of a subject really quickly. If you post more than 5-8 from a charter, you've burned it out and you've lost your audience, so pick the best of the best and post the rest of the collection on Flickr or some other site that you control.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote