View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #61
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
So your view is that "criticism" is the only purpose for a discussion forum? Or do you mean that "Opinion=Criticism?"

I wouldn't agree with either - forums can be for sharing information instead of opinions, recipes, general BSery, etc.

And one can have opinions that aren't criticism: "Azaleas make great garden plants." "Chocolate Milk tastes good." "Gary Cooper is good in 'High Noon'."
I misunderstood the original quote. I replaced criticism with opinion. I could speak up whenever I see something I like and I sometimes do, but if my photos were being critiqued I'd rather hear everything thats wrong with the photo rather than a dozen people saying "nice shot." A bunch of people saying they like my shot won't help me improve.

Quote:
My comment is not about the other person's reaction - it's about the person stating an opinion.

If you insist on the right to insult me and criticize my work, I shall insist on my right to consider you a jerk and ignore you. "I can be relentlessy critical, negative and abrasive, and you have to let me hang around" is not a true statement.
If someone can say only positive things, why can't I say negative things? If the members here truly don't want me here they can ignore me (which obviously isn't happening) or the admins can ban me, again.

Quote:
There is far more to right and wrong than law enforcement. It's not illegal to be a jerk, but it's pretty much always the wrong thing to do. But that has little to do with the subject at hand.
I disagree. I think people these days are far too soft and afraid of offending anyone.

Quote:
In all honesty, I'd be willing to bet that, several hundred posts ago, you were dead wrong. Now? I've never seen any evidence that anyone wants to "see you fail." I'm not even sure what "failure" means in this context. In this thread I see people giving you a chance, but worst case, most people don't care one way or another.
By fail I simply meant that my photos turn out to be no good. I didn't mean fail at life in which case people here shouldn't really care. Get that Ween?

Quote:
There's an old saying that the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. I stand by what I said earlier - if you change your behaviour, I think people would let bygones be bygones.

But if you continue to insist that insulting a person equates to critiquing that person's photos, or insisting that there are "rules" all railfans are required to foll (that you can't even articulate) . . . then yes, people will continue to laugh at you, ignore you, exclude you. But not because anyone wants to "see you fail" - it's because, if someone is always abrasive and negative and never nice or positive, why would I want anything to do with that person? Why wouldn't I ignore him?
Rarely do I ever actually insult someone. I may insult their photo, but not them as a person. In a case like Travis in this thread I think an insult towards him is appropriate because he should know better and it was just plain stupid of him to try to get that photo in the DB.

I can articulate my rules which really just come down to one thing: accurate documentation. If it's a doctored photo it's invalid in my eyes.

I can be nice and positive, but you have to give me something to be nice and positive about.