View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #54
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
A couple of things, Mike:

1)
If you're not enjoying it, by definition it's no longer a hobby - it's become something else. The pursuit of excellence does not require turning your hobby into work - it's quite possible to be very good at both your work and your hobbies without turning either into humorless drudgery.
I can only enjoy railroad photography if I take it seriously and make getting the desired results the top priority. If I don't, it's just a waste of time since all I'm really doing is watching trains.

Quote:
2) Constantly criticizing others' results has nothing to do with your view of your hobby, and everything with your view of THEIR hobby.
This is a forum, I thought that's what we were supposed to do.

Quote:
3) If I know my opinion is going to lead to useless conflict ("your date is ugly"), my normal course of action is to keep my mouth shut. The possession of an opinion does not confer an obligation to share it, and opinions are valued far more when preceded by "What do you think?" than by "Here's what I think."
We're not dealing with 5 year olds here. No ones feelings should be getting hurt when someone doesn't like their photos.

Quote:
4) "I hope you're f*****g kidding" is not an "opinion," or a valid critique of a photo. It's an insult, intended to provoke a reaction. You know it, I know you know it, and the appropriate response is an apology. Stubbornly insisting that grits ain't groceries, eggs ain't poultry, and Mona Lisa was a man looks pretty stupid unless your name is Little Milton.
No way am I going to apologize for that. Travis was a moron for trying to get that on so I treated him like one.

Quote:
5) Your opinion is just that - your opinion. I have my opinions on social and political issues that spring from the values I developed growing up - but that doesn't make me "right." And my good friends, who developed differing opinions based on their own values, aren't automatically "wrong" because they disagree with me. People who equate their opinions with what's "right" and "wrong" tend to be perceived as self-righteous, because that's pretty much the definition of the word:
I'd hate to live in that world where there is no solid right or wrong. What's your view on law enforcement?

Quote:
If you want respect for your opinions (and that's something everyone wants), start by showing a little respect for the opinions of others, and get into the habit of waiting until you're asked. And try to find something nice to say, no matter how inconsequential, because if someone consistently hates my work, I'll stop asking.
I'm not seeking respect for my opinions. When I post I'm not hoping someone will say that they agree with me. If I want respect, I'm in the wrong forum. Also, if all you're hearing is negative things about your photos, then perhaps YOU are the problem. Unless the person you're talking to has no idea what he's talking about, but then that's your fault for going to him.

Quote:
I suspect there's a little more to it, though, and you tipped it with your "prepare to be disappointed" remark. It's as if you're expecting others to insult your photos (possibly because they have), so you get the first dig in as a defensive measure. That's actually a natural impulse, but if you suppress it you usually find people are nicer than that. And in fact, it's a good shot.

As for the rest, the ones who feel compelled to insult you? Tell 'em to come post here, and we'll fix 'em right up.

The 'prepare to be disappointed' was said to cover both possible outcomes. If you don't like my photos then it's obvious enough, but if you do like them then you could be disappointed that my photos are actually good. I say that because I think most people here would like to see me fail.

The only real complaint I get is that I'm too tough on my photos.