View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
TedG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
Actually, I'm embarrassed - I totally forgot that I had this in the database!
Yeah, turns out RP has this search function right on the home page, and it works pretty well as long as photographers have entered valid data. [If only I had only used it before uploading my “marginal”, or as Bob put it “crummy” photo!] Choosing “B&O” in the “Select Railroad” dropdown, and “caboose” as a keyword in the “locomotive” field, returns 29 photos, only two of which are wagon-tops: Doug’s C-2478 Class I-12 at the Museum, and one of C-2504 (Class I-5b) on the road.

I consider the C-2478 an important piece for the Museum, considering it was designed in-house, and built in-house by the B&O. Unfortunately, the Museum does not, apparently, agree with my assessment.

A word of caution to all, however, regarding the Museum’s online rolling stock roster—take the information with a grain of salt. Using the C-2478 as an example
http://www.borail.org/C2478.aspx
  1. They list a build date of “1941”. The correct build date for C-2478 is 01/1942. (At least they have the piece itself stenciled correctly.)
  2. “The B&O shops in Keyser, West Virginia constructed the C-2478 along with 100 sister cabooses in 1941.” Wrong. Must be that "new math". The B&O shops in Keyser, West Virginia constructed the C-2478 along with 99 sister cabooses in late 1941/early 1942.
  3. “Although a successful design, few were built during the Second World War because of steel shortages.” Wrong. Not sure just when they think WWII occurred, but in fact all 100 of the initial batch (C-2400 to C-2499) were built during WWII (although the U.S. was not initially involved). Steel shortages did prevent the construction of the second batch (C-2800 to C-2824) of I-12s until August-October 1945.
/Ted
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote