View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
KevinM

A slow death perhaps, but definitely not a quick one.

I own both types of cameras. I have Nikon D750, D850 and D4 DSLRs, and I recently purchased the new, mirrorless Z6. While I have very limited experience with the Z6, I can already see that it has some major advantages....and some serious drawbacks.

The good:

-The camera is lighter and smaller than any of my DSLRs.

-Build quality is excellent. The Z-series is very solid.

-Burst rate (12 fps) is better than my D4!

-DX0mark rating for high ISO performance is better than my D4!

-The 24-70mm f/4 S "kit" lens is a damn decent piece of glass.

-AF frame coverage is better than any DSLR I know of.

-Body stabilization provides "VR" for even unstabilized lenses and is very effective.

-The FTZ adapter works as advertised with all of my Nikkor "G" lenses.

-I can "chimp" photos at 100% with the EVF, so I no longer need an eye loupe.

-The EVF shows me the JPEG exposure I am going to get before I shoot it.

-The EVF also has optional horizon and histogram displays in the frame.

Now, the not-so-good:

-There is a small, but noticeable lag between reality and the EVF display. If you think you're going to single-finger the "moment", forget it.

-When you take the shot, there is a brief interruption in the EVF display. Not good for action, IMHO.

-This camera is not "instant-on" like a DSLR. You won't win any "quick draw" contests with a Z camera. If you think there's a shot coming, you need to leave the camera on.

-The native "S" lens has 24-70 mm focal lengths and a stowed position, which is very compact. But you have to twist the zoom ring to get it off the stowed position in order to shoot. Again, no "quick draw" from the stowed position.

-EVFs eat batteries. Especially if you like to "chimp" in between shots like I do. Better bring extra batteries.

-AF is pretty good, and the newest firmware has "Eye AF", which is great for portrait shooting. But AF is not as snappy as the D4. Not yet anyway. Good enough for trains in most situations, however. Haven't shot anything high speed yet.

As for the slow death prediction, the Nikon Rumors website is saying that the D7500, D750, D850 and D5 will be replaced with new DSLRs at some point. The rest of Nikon's DSLR line, including the low-end D3500, D5500 and enthusiast D500 "sports camera" will be replaced with mirrorless. So yeah, the mirrorless cameras are coming on fast, but they don't have the flexibility or features to handle some types of photography, just yet. At least in my humble opinion.

I will probably be taking the Z6 wherever I go from now on. It's an easy carry and makes great images.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 07-05-2019 at 02:18 AM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote