View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #9
Amtrakdavis22

With the shutter speed you have go judge it based off the conditions you have. Sometimes you can get away with a 1/320th exposure when the train is moving very slowly or stopped. That especially helps when you have low light conditions. But if your shooting an Amtrak Capitol Corridor train in East Davis, you going to need to go 1/800th or above so you capture a crisp image of a train going 80mph. So base your shutter speed off of your lighting conditions and also how fast the train is moving. With the f stop, I usually like to get a large of f stop as I can w/o going over ISO200. ISO400 can sometimes come out grainy so I avoid that one most days. But ISO200 will work well. So usually I got as big as I can because I'm trying to shoot the scene and it would be nice if it wasn't all blurred out. But again sometimes I have to go lower because of bad lighting conditions and or I'm trying to go with a different affect. But usually when I'm shooting I'll stay somewhere around 1/800th, f8.0, ISO200. That's different than some people but it seems to have worked decently well for me in the past so I'm going to stick with it.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote