View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 02:28 AM   #5
KevinM

I love the sharpness, lower distortion and lower weight of prime lenses. I own the Nikkor 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm f/1.8s. That said, most of my train photography is on private charters where I can't just be wherever I want to be. I also have to travel (by plane) to most of the charters, so I can't take everything I own. On most charters, I take two bodies, a D4 and a D750 w/grip, and the 16-35mm f/4 VR, 24-120mm f/4 VR (which gets more use than anything) and the 70-200mm f4 VR, which is just as sharp as it's 2.8 brother. That's a decent kit. The only thing lacking is a fast lens, which I like to have for night shoots. In those cases, I might substitute the 24-70mm f/2.8 for the 24-120. It is heavier and less flexible, but the extra stop comes in handy for night work. In a pinch, I might just stay with the 24-120 and bring a 35mm prime for the night shots....and just live with the fact that compositions may be more limited.

Surprised you are getting rid of your 80-400. I just picked that one up recently on sale, and have been amazed at how good the VR is. I plan on shooting the eclipse with it and the D7000....assuming the weather cooperates.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote