View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #44
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Hmm...I swear I read somewhere that he had used a neutral density filter. I guess I was just imagining that.
Hi Jim,

I can certainly understand why you would imagine that. A 2-stop Grad-ND would have absolutely made more sense than a polarizer. I have a Grad-ND as well, but it is really only useful when you have a well-defined horizon. I have tried to use it in other situations and the results just look strange.

I would love to have a crack at the scenes depicted in those two PCA photos. Even though I'm not a diesel guy, those are pretty scenes and would be a nice challenge to see if I could balance the exposure and then get something reasonable in post without requiring too much selective editing. I am finding that a well-exposed raw file is amazingly resilient.

With regard to the photographer's comment about not doing any "Photoshopping", I believe that he simply meant that he didn't do any digital "manipulation", and I don't think anyone is alleging that. I do think it is obvious to everyone that the file has been heavily "edited", and I think we all understand the distinction between the two terms.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote