View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
DWHonan

Default Request for "digital rights" from Konrad Fuetter

Has anyone else received an email from Konrad Fuetter similar to this?

Quote:
Hi David,

I am interested in buying digital rights to some of your photos I saw on RailPictures.com. Could you please let me know if you sell them, what restrictions you have on use, and what the price would be.

Sincerely,

Konrad Fuetter
This seemed fishy, so I asked for more info:

Quote:
What I am interested in doing is printing photos of railroads combined with beautiful nature scenes for sale to railfans at rail memorabilia shows and on the internet. I am still working on the business plan but starting out their are four of your photos I am interested in ...
First, I'm flattered: Cool, somebody thinks my work is nice enough to want to print and sell at shows. Of course, the realities are:
  1. How can I reasonably trust my original files with someone I've never heard of? I have no problem arranging a licensing agreement with a company accustomed to dealing with usage restrictions on marketing materials, but how do I guarantee a level of trustworthiness with some random internet person?
  2. There is no verifiable means of recording sales.
  3. How to determine a "digital rights" fee so that I earn fair value for my work while the reseller earns fair markup for his efforts in production and distribution?
  4. I sell my own prints directly; how do I know I won't be undersold on my own work?
  5. No business plan to present to the photographers he wants to enlist.

Given these concerns, I declined to participate in his venture. I'm curious if anyone else has been contacted by Mr. Fuetter and what information has come forth from those discussions.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote