View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
That the train has to be the main subject of the photo at RP.net is not what I would call a far fetched assumption....
I agree that it's not far-fetched, but that doesn't necessarily make it accurate. You know what happens when you assume . . . As Joe noted, there are plenty of railroad-related subjects that can be the main subject of a photo besides a train. The photos in the post above are some good examples. In particular, I would point out Chase's photo:

Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 386103
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

I would argue that in this case the landscape and the railroad's relationship to it are the main focus. The streak serves to highlight that in a way that a similar photograph showing the train clearly wouldn't do. The result was good enough to garner a PCA and the following relevant comments.

"Interesting to see the mountainous terrain of WV from above where all the peaks seem to level out into a broad desert plain. Initially, not my idea of a railroad(y) shot but upon second viewing there's definitely a story being told here. Great timing catching two trains working the route and thanks for sparing us the more common streak shot." - Mitch Goldman

"Wow. That's amazing Chase. I don't know what to say..." - Mr. Pick

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote