Thread: Top 10 of '12
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #24
cblaz

My Top 10 Best/Favorites of the 64 pictures (out of over 40,000 shots) I added in 2012, from 10 to 1:

10. Of course, the heritage gathering in Spencer, NC was one of the highlights of the year. Obviously, my favorite shot would be of all 20, but since mine's not on RP, here's another of my favorites, proving its worth sticking around to the very end of an event, to get peopleless shots of the two namesake railroads of NS.
Image © Christopher Blaszczyk
PhotoID: 402562
Photograph © Christopher Blaszczyk

9a & 9b. More heritage, this time out on the mainline. Even though I got all 20 NS heritage units at Spencer, and 5 of the 6 UP engines in North Platte a few years ago, I still want to get them leading trains. This year, I was able to check off one from each group, when I caught the PC unit in central PA after chasing the 765, and the Southern Pacific unit visited my backyard on a beautiful, but cold, November morning.
PhotoID: 406799

PhotoID: 415686

8. Moving to a new town in north Jersey has put me closer to a variety of new spots I never would have considered before, like downtown Newark. I was able to explore a little bit in 2012 and now I have a checklist of shots to get in the coming year.
PhotoID: 392139

7. Steam returned to a Class I mainline in Pennsylvania this year, with NKP 765 leading employee excursions out of Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. I was able to chase both the eastbound and westbound ferry moves between the two cities, getting shots of steam at some of my favorite Middle Division and West Slope locations.
PhotoID: 406798

6 & 5. Steam also returned in NJ, with the number of operational steam locomotives in the state doubling this year, to a total of 2, with the return of Black River & Western 2-8-0 60. We were able to catch her first movements out of the yard under her own power and on the last day of excursions in 2012.
PhotoID: 406075

PhotoID: 419087

4. This year, I got to enjoy one of the most ultimate photo charter experiences, 5 full days on the Cumbres & Toltec (after 2 days on the Durango & Silverton and 1 on the Rio Grande Scenic). I got a ton of good shots, which will hopefully make it on RP in due time, but here's one of my favorites.
PhotoID: 413157

3 & 2. Hurricane Sandy left a lasting impression on New Jersey, and luckily I was able to get out and document a little of the aftermath and recovery.
PhotoID: 413671

PhotoID: 415409

1. My favorite shot of the year was the ultimate right place, right time. After the heritage gathering in Spencer, we decided to overnight in Roanoke on the way home on Thursday. The next morning, while checking out all the hot spots before hitting the road, we caught NS shuttling the VMT's newly repainted bicentennial SD45 and three heritage units to the former station for a photo shoot with the NS photographer. On the way back to the museum for the weekend's display, the photo train rolled past the tower and some CPLs as a local pulled out of the yard, allowing for a shot of high-hood EMDs in 2012.
PhotoID: 402770

- Chris