Thread: Top 10 of '12
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
Bob Pickering

Good day and Happy New Year!!!

Myself and Maryann had all sorts of railfan adventures in 2012. Some planned some were not.

So with that said, here are my top 10 based on views from least to most:

Number 10
FEC 714 leading a special in New Smyrna Beach.
Image © Bob Pickering (BP)
PhotoID: 395210
Photograph © Bob Pickering (BP)

Number 9
FEC's Toy's for Tots special looms through the fog in St. Augustine.
PhotoID: 417238

Number 8
Amtrak's annual Safety Patrol Special slides through Sanford. Kinda surprised me this is a highly viewed picture, but there it is.
PhotoID: 387249

Number 7
A trip to Bone Valley was way overdue and one of things I wanted to catch was CSX crossing the diamond in the grade crossing. And we did.
PhotoID: 389704

Number 6
A trip to California for Maryann to see her daughter's family revealed all sorts of railfanning opportunities along the southern California coast. Here Maryann after getting her pictures waves at the crew of the Coaster and whenever she is in my viewfinder for some reason, the hits go up.
PhotoID: 403837

Number 5
FEC 714 was in my camera again, this time at the famous bridge in St. Augustine.
PhotoID: 387507

Number 4
This was San Clemente California one of my most favorite places to watch trains.
PhotoID: 404454

Number 3
Another lucky catch, after dropping off Maryann at the airport for her job training in Vegas I railfanned the A line in Orlando and caught a rock train passing Auto Train in Sanford.
PhotoID: 392559

Number 2
This was actually taken Dec 31st of 2011 but I included it as it was posted right at the end of the old year and start of the new. We had found out 156 was leading 91 we had planned to go to Seville but clouds chased us south. We got him at Deland but decided chase south to Orlando. Here Maryann is seen waving at Matt and crew on 91 in Orlando.
PhotoID: 385480

Number 1,
This was last March we went over to Seville to catch Auto Train and 91 which we do sometimes and this ground fog had just set up but was low enough to allow the sun into teh scene. To our surprise the sun had lit the scene up just right as train time approached. As 53 came into view this pick up truck was pacing the train a bit ahead of it. I was worried that it would get in the way, but fortunately 79 mph won out and 53 overtook the truck at the right time. This is my highest viewed shot of 2012.
PhotoID: 392392

Now the "catch of the year" for me goes to that one catch that will likely never be repeated that was so luck to be there to catch.

The FEC 2000 had long been in storage and then in ill repair and then doomed to work yards. It was not supposed to be leading any trains. It was not supposed to be on the mainline leading a freight. It was not supposed to get into St. Augustine before daylight either. But the train gods decreed that it lead 224 this morning that I just happened to be off work and just happened to get up early and get on line to discover it was leading. And it just happened to have mechanical problems delaying the arrival until after sunrise.... This makes this shot the catch of the year.
PhotoID: 410577

Now my partner Maryann Norvik has taken it upon herself to join the ranks of rp.net and threw herself into the hobby after a lifelong love of trains. Maryann always always is my railfan partner on all our travels.

Here are her shots top 10

Number 10
One of her favorite places to watch trains is Del Mar Ca.
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 406882
Photograph © MaryAnn Norvik

Number 9
San Clemente California
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 405293

Number 8
Her first Heritage unit
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 394027

Number 7
FEC 101 near home.
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 390567

Number 6
Del Mar Ca.
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 407251

Number 5
A trip to San Diego allowed her to catch some BNSF action as well
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 407349

Number 4
She also caught 714 in New Smyrna Beach
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 396433

Number 3
Maryann had job training at Las Vegas allowed her to catch some UP stuff.
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 398468

Number 2
Her first shot ever accepted in the database was a rare catch standard cabs on NS.
Image © MaryAnn
PhotoID: 389420
Photograph © MaryAnn

Number 1
This is her top shot and one of her favorites Metrolink in San Clemente.
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 406759

We both agree on the 2000 being the catch of the year....And her view of the 2000.
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 410618

Last edited by Bob Pickering; 01-01-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote