Thread: Top 10 of '12
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

A few years ago I did az year byyear analysis of my RP contributions and now I can't seem to find it. If we put my ten years being a RP member on a list, 2012 would not be one of my best. True, I got 81 images (taken in 2012) accepted, but they were in hindsight by and large quanity shots, not quality. Money and medical issues kept me close to home. All of my shots were taken in the Carolinas. A few highlights for me was finally shooting the Air Force train down in Sumter.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This is moy most viewed shot of teh year which tells you a lot about my year.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I liked this next shot for a couple of reasons. 1.) It's the circus train. 2.) I like this location here in Columbia, but it's hard to get a train here in good light. 3.) It's a Norfolk Southern with CSX power. 4.) And I was very lucky to catch it. I was working on my old TV job then and I had somewhere to be, but I decided to test my luck and at least see if I could see the train. Only thing is if they were heading out in typical fashion, the train would have been backlit. So I was very surprised to see they were shoving the train around the wye and doing it slow enough to let me navigate traffic and get this shot.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I always love shooting off the bridge in Cayce that overlooks CMC Steel especially on those two or three times a month they use the Alco RS-1.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

And I managed to catch the NS transfer to CSX from nearly the same spot on a day they weren't using a GE wide nose but were using three old Southern high hoods!

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I still find it fun to chronicle my hometown railroad even with all of the changes they have gone through. This was the first time I caught an L&C train with no blue engines.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I like shhoting shortlines and branch lines and this was the first time I had shot this line in six years.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

More branch lineage.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

And my first acceted pan. Next time I want to slow it down and get more blur. But I was pleased with it and feel I really lucky up with the placement of the cars and the road down below.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

And, of course, my favorite from Foam Fest.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©