Thread: Top 10 of '12
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
jnohallman

I've only got 16 shots to choose from, but then again, that's the most I've put on RP in one year. So, does Top 10 mean the 10 with the most views, or my 10 favorites? I guess it'll have to be a bit of each.

My two most successful photos of the year in terms of views were largely the result of happenstance. I was in Roanoke with my family on the way back from "Foamfest" in Spencer, and we were about to head out of town when I decided to drive along the tracks a bit to see what was going on. It just so happened that the Virginia Museum of Transportation and NS were in the process of shuffling some equipment, which allowed me to catch a couple pics that seem to have interested people some. (They also gave me my first ever To24s).

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 402890
Photograph © Jonathan Hallman

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 402716

Third in number of views for me was a shot that originally got rejected for foreground clutter, and was accepted on appeal. Others have shot the location before as well, but I was pleased with the result I got. The view is taken from the Great Shiplock Park in Richmond.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 391125

Fourth in views was a shot from "Foamfest" - but not a shot of one or more of the NS heritage units. The AMTRAK I grew up with was the AMTRAK of the F40PH, so I was happy to get a decent shot of this end of the 40th anniversary train.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 402731

Now that we reach number five in terms of views, we start to get into my personal favorites as far as the photos are concerned. I grew up little more than an hour away from Strasburg, and may have ridden the trains at Strasburg more even than I've ridden Amtrak. I liked the lighting and the juxtaposition of power in this photo.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 404484

I don't get to shoot nearly as much steam as I would like. Living in Virginia doesn't help - the state barely has a tourist railroad (theoretically, there's one on the Eastern Shore, but they're trying to sell their passenger equipment). However, the NS 21st Century Steam program gave me the opportunity to ride as well as to shoot some steam power in VA. This shot came after the trip from Winston-Salem to Roanoke.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 401926

Yes, I was at "Foamfest" in Spencer along with hoards of others, and yes I shot all of the NS Heritage units. But I've only got one shot from that collection of stuff on RP.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 407089

Another shot from Strasburg didn't pull in huge views, but I liked the lighting, and I've always been a fan of the SRC's classic Baldwin decapod.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 411802

I was also very pleased with the results of this shot from "The Center of the Universe" even if it didn't draw lots of RP attention.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 400409

Finally, my favorite shot of the year came from my first trip to the Potomac Eagle (or South Branch Valley Railroad, if you prefer), where after a pleasant ride I was able to capture this image. It just so happens that the "young railfan" in the caption is my own little boy.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 410025

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote