Thread: Bad Angle?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
Warton GR4

Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to expand your comments Joe. I think the sun had just set or was very close to and being February it's a bit weak by that time of the day, which is why it's a little flat and golden. You quote the rule about going away shots. I'm not a rail photographer by profession, what is wrong with a going away shot anyway? The rules do however state "going away shots are generally not accepted unless they are composed in a creative/artistic manner", which I've tried to do unsuccessfully.

GIZMO I did take a burst of photos but found when the train runs further along the bridge it's obstructed by the angled support cable you can see just in front of the lead loco which I felt was too distracting. I wanted to get the full hight of the bridge in and I felt this was nicely balanced with the full reflection of the bridge and exhaust.
This was my second attempt at this location as the previous day I'd shot from the same angle at about the same time of day but I took it as a close in landscape photo and the shot just didn't work because it just highlighted the the fact that part of the loco is obscured and you couldn't see enough of the bridge to see the relationship between the obscuring railings and the uprights. Also the thing that struck me the previous day was the reflection...

Thanks for the comments, though I'm just more confused about what to try next as everything I try at the moment just gets rejected. The rules of the site state that 3/4 head on shots should be avoided, yet the database is full of them and whenever I try to push the boundaries a little to avoid posting them it's knocked straight back. I'll just give up with that bridge from that angle. If the bridge and the reflection don't add anything to the shot it's clearly a lost cause.
Cheers,
Mark
Warton GR4 is offline   Reply With Quote