Thread: Canon Lens
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Go rent it.

I have the 100-400 mm zoom too, and I really like it. I also have a 24-105 mm lens.

Yes, I had to get acquainted with the push / pull zoom but it is faster than a turn zoom and yes it is heavy, but like a deer rifle, you get used to the weight.

The only thing I dislike about the lens is the f-stop range of 4.4 - 5.6 - wish it was lower, but that is the difference between a $2,000.00 lens and an $8,000.00 lens.

There is only one advantage I can see to the lens that you are looking at and that is that you would be able to not switch lens between a close shot and a long shot.

I have to switch, however I have some overlap in the middle between the two lenses.

That is why most professionals shoot with a minimum of two camera bodies, that way they just switch cameras and don't have to fiddle with a lens change.

It would be nice to devote that type of capital to my "hobby."

Only problem I see about the lens you are looking at is that optically, the low end of the lens at 28mm will not produce as wide a field as a shorter barreled lens and the high end at 300mm may not be as clear due to aberrations in the elements of the lens.

I would suggest you go rent one of these lenses before you buy and take it for a test drive so to speak.

Nothing sucks more than dropping some serious coin on a piece of glass and it turning out to be not what you want.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 04-29-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote