View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackInCT View Post
Me Here: Operation Lifesaver, apparently, is ONLY a partial solution to these never ending stories re young people being where they should not be. Blaming the parents will accomplish NOTHING, nor will shrugging it off as some kind of Darwin event. These are nothing less than a waste of human life, i. e., human potential. If the typical reader of RailPictures forums, can't devise better, more effective strategies (via these forums)to respond to these events, you can bet that our politicians and public safety officials won't be able to come up with them on their own. The members of this forums need to make their collectives voices heard since a good many are parents themselves; they are the real experts.
One comment, negative, sorry, on this well-intentioned post. Where are these so-called real experts? Does the subset of RP forum readers that are parents really have any special expertise on keeping young people out of trouble, just because we like to go trackside and take pictures? I don't think so. Like Joe said, or rather implied, there will always be senseless deaths. I, as an RP forum participant and parent, have absolutely no strategies to offer, sorry. What ideas I might possess, down the road (as my kids get older!), have the usual outlets to express them; in my view this forum is not the place to discuss safety of our youth.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote