View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
KevinM

Hi Daniel,

I'm glad you posted. I see your pictures all the time and I thought your name was Simon.

First, let me say that in general, I think your steam shots have some of the best color on RP. These are perhaps not the most colorful examples, but you post nice stuff.

I can't measure the cropping ratio on this monitor, but I don't think that's the issue. Yes, RP seems to prefer a 3:2 ratio, but narrower and squarer (is that word? ) pictures do get in. A panorama or a true square will probably get rejected.

Very honestly, I don't think the first or third crops are too far off.

The first one could probably lose a bit on the top and on the right. It could probably use a tad more room on the bottom and the left. Others may disagree, but I don't think it is terrible as is.

The second one definitely has the train too centered. I know you are trying to show off that nice plume, but several good photographers here have been banged lately for plume shots with the train either too centered or way off in a far corner. In the case of this one, a little off the left and off the top would probably be a good start. That sky isn't doing you any favors, so getting rid of some of it can only help the shot.

I'm really not sure what to do with the third one. Perhaps give a little more room on the Engineman's left and chop a little off the right. The Screener may think he's outside the left third. Also, that steam looks a tad bright, but that could easily be the laptop I'm currently on. It makes every shot look a bit overexposed.

Good luck!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 11-05-2009 at 01:49 PM.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote