Thread: Help on rejects
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_bullfrog View Post
I understand the importance of post processing and have done a lot of work in darkrooms developing B&W film, and try to stick to the tools that were available to me in the darkroom. Developing time, changing filters, dodging, burning, as well as chopping your print are all things that can be emulated in Photoshop with brightness/contrast and cropping, but when you exceed those capabilities I think it blurs the line between photography and digital art. Just my opinion on the subject, and I do appreciate good Digital Art, but it's not where I'm trying to come from when I photograph trains. I do post-process my pictures, but I prefer to stay away from my definition of Digital Art.
We are closer together in viewpoint than it first appeared.

So, in a spirit of full collegiality, let me nit-pick about the rest.

I might respectfully point out that to "stick to the tools available to me in the darkroom" is a wholly arbitrary standard, as well as being at odds with the notion of progress. For one, the use of, say, 800 ISO sensors, whether fillm or digital, has allowed for combinations of light, aperture, and shutter speed, and thus artistic content, wholly unknown to the originators. So I personally don't believe in sticking to a particular restriction that arises solely from history, without a justification. But hey, we all get to choose how we want to enjoy photography! I suspect you know more about photography as a whole than I do, anyway; I do not want to imply that you are making an uninformed choice. Merely arbitrary.

But for RP this discussion does not matter, because RP does not go very far down the road toward "digital art" in terms of what can only be achieved, or much more readily achieved, with the newer technology. It is not a very "artsy" venue in that regard.

Sharpening, however, has nothing to do with any of this. Instead, it is a technical issue - not nearly so an artistic issue, although anything that affects the image has an artistic dimension, I suppose. Rather, sharpening is part of the process of getting to a final image, as indispensable as a properly-timed application of fixer was in the old days. It is not something analogous to a darkroom technique (although there are related issues of contrast) so there is no dimension of avocational "purity" in technique. It is needed as part of the technological chain that goes from light/scene to final image. It is not a dimension of digital art.

(Now, if you choose to crank up the sharpening parameters beyond all reasonable levels, then you do get to a form of digital art!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote