RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rejected Comment (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16932)

Freericks 02-17-2014 05:41 AM

Rejected Comment

The following photo comment has been rejected and will not be added to the
public database:

Photo: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=467735
Comment: Great looking image. Really a scene from our past.

Please note our comment submission guidelines which stipulate that comments
containing any of
the following will be rejected:

- Comment not in English
- Numerous misspellings
- Text in either all caps or all lower case
- Excessive punctuation
- Pose a direct question to the photographer which would be better suited to a
private e-mail

Best regards,
The RailPictures.Net Staff

CSX1702 02-17-2014 06:22 AM

Wrong button?

Freericks 02-17-2014 06:27 AM

Yes, my assumption.

JimThias 02-17-2014 12:09 PM

Appeal it!! :lol:

bigbassloyd 02-17-2014 02:26 PM

Start a facebook page and raise unholy hell.

Loyd L.

Freericks 02-17-2014 03:37 PM

I shall! I shall!

Honestly just got a bit of a laugh from it - thought I would share. 99.99% sure it was just a mistake (even if the second sentence is problematic).

Holloran Grade 02-17-2014 07:11 PM

Poor sentace structure.

coborn35 02-17-2014 11:56 PM

Considering all the stupids comments they let in...

Freericks 02-18-2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 175564)
Poor sentace structure.

I'm sure what a "sentace" is.

I like how your comment on a comment missing a subject and verb is also missing a subject and a verb.

Holloran Grade 02-18-2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 175590)
I'm sure what a "sentace" is.

I like how your comment on a comment missing a subject and verb is also missing a subject and a verb.

It took a lot of thought to stricture an interesting, as well as hamorous reply to something so simplastic and mundane.

I am glad that you recognize, and appriciate my efforets.

Freericks 02-18-2014 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 175591)
It took a lot of thought to stricture an interesting, as well as hamorous reply to something so simplastic and mundane.

I am glad that you recognize, and appriciate my efforets.

You're efforets make me giddy.

Freericks 02-18-2014 12:46 AM

Stay calm, Thias!!!!!

Stay calm - it is all in fun and games.

troy12n 02-18-2014 12:53 AM

Maybe post it in some other language so they can legitimately reject it? Must be a slow news day

Holloran Grade 02-18-2014 12:57 AM

I notice they reject comments with 2 many sentences and 2 much punctuation.

I suspect this is an automated function, however someone posted the "shit" word on one of my photos in a comment, so who knows.

Joe the Photog 02-18-2014 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coborn35 (Post 175588)

Ask Frank Orona about that.

Freericks 02-18-2014 01:40 AM

I've got at least a dozen comments that are direct questions to me like, "Is that spot easy to get to?"

JimThias 02-18-2014 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 175596)
Stay calm, Thias!!!!!

Stay calm - it is all in fun and games.

Funny thing is, I "got" (and appreciated) Billy Bob's intentional mistake, but you didn't. What the heck, man?

:D

sd9 02-18-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coborn35 (Post 175588)

Here's another one, I was just pointing out the obvious, I don't see it any different than the other comments accepted:rolleyes:

The following photo comment has been rejected and will not be added to the public database:

Photo: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=470250
Comment: Maybe he was giving it to you as a kind gesture as in you were suppose to catch the water bottle

Please note our comment submission guidelines which stipulate that comments containing any of

- Comment not in English
- Numerous misspellings
- Excessive punctuation
- Pose a direct question to the photographer which would be better suited to a private e-mail

Best regards,

Freericks 02-18-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 175618)
Funny thing is, I "got" (and appreciated) Billy Bob's intentional mistake, but you didn't. What the heck, man?

:D

Um - no I did - evident by my response praising him.

Funny that, huh?

CSX1702 02-18-2014 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 175598)
....the "shit" word...

Now that's funny.

Holloran Grade 02-18-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd9 (Post 175626)
Comment: Maybe he was giving it to you as a kind gesture as in you were suppose to catch the water bottle

Dude is too close if an engineer could hit him with a water bottle.

Doesn't matter if you are at a grade crossing, standing too close while the crossing is occupied by a train is illegal.

Hatchetman 02-18-2014 06:15 PM

funny, some engineers stick their head out and wave, others flip you the finger.

wds 02-18-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd9 (Post 175626)
Here's another one, I was just pointing out the obvious, I don't see it any different than the other comments accepted:rolleyes:

The following photo comment has been rejected and will not be added to the public database:

Please note our comment submission guidelines which stipulate that comments containing any of

- Comment not in English
- Numerous misspellings
- Excessive punctuation
- Pose a direct question to the photographer which would be better suited to a private e-mail

Best regards,

Not numerous, but glaring! Close, but no cigar. The word you were struggling for is supposed. Surprised Jim didn't beat me to it!:twisted:
BTW, in these parts it is not unheard of for an engineer (or conductor) to toss a bottle of cold water to a railfan. Only thing is they generally do it in the middle of summer when the temperature is 100 degrees in the shade!

Freericks 02-18-2014 07:22 PM

Looking at the photo, I agree... he was way too close to the tracks (and standing way inside the closed gates there). Now, I know that spot well and there is a wide area on the south side of the crossing, but even still - how close to the train do you need to get?

Holloran Grade 02-18-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 175640)
Looking at the photo, I agree... he was way too close to the tracks (and standing way inside the closed gates there). Now, I know that spot well and there is a wide area on the south side of the crossing, but even still - how close to the train do you need to get?

I was thinking he could have used a telephoto for the shot, but getting hit by the bottle is dispositive of where he was.

It is not like someone in the cab can wind up and huck a bottle a significant distance like they could if they were outside on the landings.

Were I to be malicious from the cab, I would have opened it and sprayed the guy with water.:twisted:

JimThias 02-18-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 175642)
I was thinking he could have used a telephoto for the shot, but getting hit by the bottle is dispositive of were he was.

He could have, but he was pretty wide and pretty close for that shot.

sd9 02-18-2014 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wds (Post 175639)
Not numerous, but glaring! Close, but no cigar. The word you were struggling for is supposed. Surprised Jim didn't beat me to it!:twisted:
BTW, in these parts it is not unheard of for an engineer (or conductor) to toss a bottle of cold water to a railfan. Only thing is they generally do it in the middle of summer when the temperature is 100 degrees in the shade!

:shock: Ahh it was the grammar

BTW

Attachment 8452

sd9 02-19-2014 02:47 PM

Glad to see somebody was able to get my point across, based on the rest of the comments though you can tell these kids are full of drama..:rolleyes:

Posted by CSX8747 on February 18, 2014
Sorry you experienced such behavior! However, please consider two things when filing a complaint. First, the photo may be proof that you're trespassing on railroad property, which may result in legal action against you. Secondly, did the engineer throw the water with the intent to do harm, or did he do it as a gift. Some engineers are known for tossing railfans bottles of water as a friendly gesture. He probably was trying to make sure you caught the water instead of it hitting the ground and bursting.

Posted by jdayrail on February 18, 2014
I find the comment from "Runthat" to be crude and insensitive to the photographer who had the bottle thrown at him.

Posted by Thomas on February 18, 2014
That man should be ashamed of himself for his stupid and child like act. He doesn't belong in the big chair, that's for sure.

Posted by T. Babcock on February 18, 2014
Any chance you have a shot showing his arm or the water bottle coming up? That'd be best. Good luck. I've been verbally harassed by a conductor (while standing on a public sidewalk on a bridge with no access to his train!) but your experience sounds far worse. Unfortunately these employees assume the worst about us. WONDER WHY

Posted by EL ROCO Photography on February 18, 2014
I would speculate that if you got hit by a water bottle, you're too close so complain away. That might get you a trespassing ticket through your admission of standing where you did.

tytrain 02-19-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd9 (Post 175695)
Posted by T. Babcock on February 18, 2014
Any chance you have a shot showing his arm or the water bottle coming up? That'd be best. Good luck. I've been verbally harassed by a conductor (while standing on a public sidewalk on a bridge with no access to his train!) but your experience sounds far worse. Unfortunately these employees assume the worst about us. WONDER WHY

Because idiot railfans jump in front of trains, run across the tracks, and walk all over railroad property.

That said, this appears to be a situation where both people are in the wrong.

JimThias 02-20-2014 01:04 AM

Quote:

Posted by David Hawkins on February 18, 2014
How can you determine the photographer is trespassing? I can't see it. Telephoto lense zoomed in. Unless [sic] your there and witness a trespass. Don't make a knee jerk accusation he was trespassing.
Telephoto? :lol:

Mr. David Hawkins needs to learn how to check EXIF data. And in case he happens to stumble upon this thread...

Quote:

Focal Length = 14251/1000 mm ===> 14.25 mm

CSX1702 02-20-2014 07:34 PM

Even without looking at the EXIF, you can tell that's a not a telephoto lens.

troy12n 02-20-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytrain (Post 175702)
Because idiot railfans jump in front of trains, run across the tracks, and walk all over railroad property.

Most dont.

Quote:

That said, this appears to be a situation where both people are in the wrong.
So tie goes to the runner?

tytrain 02-20-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 175751)
Most dont.

Fortunately. Unfortunately, lately every time I've been out and about there have been idiots making this hobby harder for the rest of us. So I've been a bit pessimistic about it lately.

troy12n 02-20-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytrain (Post 175753)
Fortunately. Unfortunately, lately every time I've been out and about there have been idiots making this hobby harder for the rest of us. So I've been a bit pessimistic about it lately.

You also live in a city where nobody acts responsibly. Actually the majority act the fool...

bigbassloyd 02-20-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 175710)
Telephoto? :lol:

Mr. David Hawkins needs to learn how to check EXIF data. And in case he happens to stumble upon this thread...

I wouldn't call it a telephoto shot, but 14.25mm on his camera is around 80mm equivalent. He had to be standing inside the crossing with the gates down, so he's still a trusspassah! :D

Loyd L.

Mgoldman 02-20-2014 11:41 PM

Meanwhile...

lol.

/Mitch

JimThias 02-21-2014 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 175756)
I wouldn't call it a telephoto shot, but 14.25mm on his camera is around 80mm equivalent.

:confused: Explain.

CSX1702 02-21-2014 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 175767)
:confused: Explain.

Quote:

The PowerShot SX150 IS features a powerful Genuine Canon 12x Zoom Lens that delivers outstanding optical performance and versatility. With precision engineering and decades of leadership in optical technologies, Canon has created a bright, wide-angle lens that provides an extraordinary 12x zoom range. The lens starts at 28mm wide-angle and extends to 336mm telephoto (35mm equivalent), giving you tremendous coverage and reach. The telephoto end lets you capture subjects from a considerable distance, while the 28mm wide-angle makes it easy to shoot sweeping landscapes, large groups of people and tall buildings. Moreover, this superlative lens incorporates innovative designs that enable it to fit the compact profile of the PowerShot SX150 IS and perform at high speed with low power consumption.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/canon-po...ngId=157184082

I read through that very quickly but maybe that will give you your answer.

JRMDC 02-21-2014 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX1702 (Post 175768)
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/canon-po...ngId=157184082

I read through that very quickly but maybe that will give you your answer.

It is buried, but there. In the "Tech Specs" it gives the true focal length of 5.0 - 60.0. With a multiplier of 5.6 that gets you to 28-336 for the FF equivalent. Exif picks up the actual focal length, just as it does for a crop sensor DSLR. 14.25mm x 5.6 = 79.8mm FF equivalent.

bigbassloyd 02-21-2014 04:42 AM

What they said. :)

I started out with a small sensor mega zoom with a 5.6 conversion.

Loyd L.