RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   UP 1943, rejected a few months back (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18196)

spacetrain1983 12-22-2018 05:23 PM

UP 1943, rejected a few months back

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9680
Back in September, I got this shot of UP 1943 leading a westbound OCS. I submitted it to RP within hours, and it was rejected for bad composition. Any recommendations? I do have a shot that has 1943 closer, however it cut off most of the rest of the train so I decided not to try it.

spacetrain1983 12-22-2018 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9681
For reference, here's the other shot I mentioned.

miningcamper1 12-22-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 (Post 195089)
Attachment 9680
Back in September, I got this shot of UP 1943 leading a westbound OCS. I submitted it to RP within hours, and it was rejected for bad composition. Any recommendations? I do have a shot that has 1943 closer, however it cut off most of the rest of the train so I decided not to try it.

Ummm...too tall (blank sky), too warm, overall image quality lacking. :(

Good that you got the whole train, though.

Joseph Cermak 12-22-2018 06:25 PM

I agree, too tall. Good candidate for 16x10 or 16x9. It might be a hair tight on the left, but I don't think it's so tight that it's an issue. However, it's still just a 3/4 wedge shot at a generic location.

RobJor 12-22-2018 06:36 PM

Interesting I was looking for an example of how it might look and then I found this one, so if you can get the quality up a little, maybe. Remember you want to crop to standard size or even a little less height and final step is to resize. Cropping and sizing in wrong order will kill quality. But there is still an additional problem/difference?

Bob

[photoid=638312]

KevinM 12-22-2018 06:41 PM

I think everyone has the right idea with respect to the aspect ratio. This needs a more panoramic crop. Tighter top and bottom, looser on the ends. RP does have limits, but I have found that I can regularly get 3:5 crops accepted here (roughly 1200x719 pixel dimension.)

With this image, I also think the train needs just a tick more "breathing space" on both the left and the right. The crop on the train is just a bit tight for my taste.

The other suggestion I'd make is to work on tonality just a bit. I think the train could be a bit brighter, and I think you could bring out some additional detail in that sky. It appears as if you had some clouds, so why not make them as pretty as you can. If this is a raw image, I think it can be made to have a fair bit more "pop" than it currently has.

Just out of curiosity, what are you using for a camera? I know that a while back you were using a P&S camera that really didn't produce the image quality to help you get the most out of your efforts.

Decapod401 12-22-2018 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a two-minute in Lightroom on my laptop, which may not be exact, but it should be better. More often than not, I find that 4x6 works as an aspect ratio.

Attachment 9685

As Kevin mentioned, if you haven't upgraded your camera it's something that you really need to do. About this time last year, I suggested that you ask for an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription for Christmas. It's not too late to ask for it this year.

miningcamper1 12-22-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 195095)
Here is a two-minute in Lightroom on my laptop, which may not be exact, but it should be better. More often than not, I find that 4x6 works as an aspect ratio.

As Kevin mentioned, if you haven't upgraded your camera it's something that you really need to do. About this time last year, I suggested that you ask for an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription for Christmas. It's not too late to ask for it this year.

Oops? That attachment is exactly the same as Spacetrain's original. :)

***8:51 update- Now it's diifferent! A bit too dark now?***

Decapod401 12-23-2018 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 195096)
Oops? That attachment is exactly the same as Spacetrain's original. :)

Two minutes to edit and fifteen to figure out that my jpeg exports from LR were exactly the same as the unedited image. Still don't know why, but I exported as a tiff, reimported, and exported as a jpeg. May be a little off due to editing in a laptop, but this should give the general idea.

miningcamper1 12-23-2018 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 195097)
Two minutes to edit and fifteen to figure out that my jpeg exports from LR were exactly the same as the unedited image. Still don't know why, but I exported as a tiff, reimported, and exported as a jpeg. May be a little off due to editing in a laptop, but this should give the general idea.

Here's Windows 8.1's one-click opinion:
[BTW I absolutely love the 8.1 editor- saves me loads of time by getting photos into the ballpark with only minor tweaks remaining.]

Decapod401 12-23-2018 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 195096)

***8:51 update- Now it's diifferent! A bit too dark now?***

See my comment about editing on my laptop.

spacetrain1983 12-23-2018 03:38 AM

At some point, Adobe Photoshop Express wound up on my computer, and it does a good job with sharpening and light settings as far as I've found - the version I posted in this thread was already lightened from the original, and I tried using "auto" mode in the editor, but that resulted in quite drastic overexposure. I'll try matching the results found here.

Also, yes, my camera desperately needs replacement, since the zoom motor vibrates wildly at times, and the image stabilization completely conked out back in early September (as in, having it turned on results in the sensor randomly shifting from left to right and occasionally ruining an image).

miningcamper1 12-23-2018 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 (Post 195101)
At some point, Adobe Photoshop Express wound up on my computer, and it does a good job with sharpening and light settings as far as I've found - the version I posted in this thread was already lightened from the original, and I tried using "auto" mode in the editor, but that resulted in quite drastic overexposure. I'll try matching the results found here.

I've suggested this before (I think): Make a page of random accepted RP thumbs placed edge-to-edge. Place your photo right in the middle to see whether it harmonizes or clashes with the accepted ones.

JimThias 01-02-2019 02:13 PM

A standard wedgie like this works well with a 3:2 ratio. Give it a crop and make the image pop and you should get it accepted.