RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Camera Question (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14627)

Greg P 11-24-2011 09:45 PM

Camera Question

I have noticed something odd with my camera. It does not seem to understand lighting very well.

I notice that on bright sunny days, it will auto select very low exposures, sometimes 1/160 on a bright sunny day at usually a F stop like F/6 or F/8 and ISO 100.

It was pointed out I am missing an opportunity for sharper photos by not using a faster exposure.

So I went out and set it to TV Mode and did 1/1000. The camera decided to go up to ISO 320 and F/5.

I am curious if I have a setting not set right like the metering; but it seems weird the camera always seems to think there is so much less light than there is.

I have an Cannon EOS 7D. Any thoughts?

CN Railfan 11-24-2011 09:48 PM

Could it be that you have your exposure compensation bumped up a couple steps? That would force the camera to use somewhat slower shutter speeds.

Hatchetman 11-24-2011 09:49 PM

My only thought is to set it to manual and choose the settings yourself.

JimThias 11-24-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg P (Post 145846)

You have a 7D and you're not shooting manual? A camera like that shouldn't even have any auto settings on it. :lol:

milwman 11-24-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg P (Post 145846)
I have noticed something odd with my camera. It does not seem to understand lighting very well.

I notice that on bright sunny days, it will auto select very low exposures, sometimes 1/160 on a bright sunny day at usually a F stop like F/6 or F/8 and ISO 100.

It was pointed out I am missing an opportunity for sharper photos by not using a faster exposure.

So I went out and set it to TV Mode and did 1/1000. The camera decided to go up to ISO 320 and F/5.

I am curious if I have a setting not set right like the metering; but it seems weird the camera always seems to think there is so much less light than there is.

Your on P I bet, Camera Makers didn't have rail Fanning in mind with camera set up Set to M and pick what works best for the shot your after.

Joe the Photog 11-24-2011 10:50 PM

Why in the world would you get a 7D and then not shoot manual?

JRMDC 11-24-2011 11:46 PM

Manual shooting is good, but I have never been in the camp of those who insist on it. I do a mix of Av and Manual shooting, more of the former but not that much more, call it 60/40. Call me lazy. But full manual is hardly necessary.

My first question is, whether the shots are correctly exposed and you are unhappy with what combination of settings the camera is choosing to get there, or are the shots incorrectly exposed. 1/1000 and f/5 and ISO 320 may be the right combination. Your language is a bit confusing.

I never shoot on any sort of variable ISO, I don't even know if that is possible (I have a Canon 50D). So I commit to an ISO first.

Actually, I'm not sure there is a second question until the first is answered. :)

JimThias 11-24-2011 11:49 PM

I wish Canon would make a high end DSLR with only manual controls and no bells and whistles, just like an old school 35mm camera.
95% of the features on my 5D are useless to me.

JRMDC 11-24-2011 11:51 PM

Jim, are you unable to avoid choosing the non-manual modes? Do you need the camera maker to hold your hand, to take away choices? :) :)

Mr. Pick 11-25-2011 12:11 AM

For trains in sunlight I generally use Tv and set the shutter speed between 1/320 and 1/500, depending on the speed and direction of the train. I then set ISO at a level that will give me ~ f8, which is usually around 160 iso.

I generally use center weighted average metering. Canon's evaluative metering doesn't seem to work that well for me. Could be I'm just used to center weighted from my old 35mm cameras.

JimThias 11-25-2011 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 145862)
Jim, are you unable to avoid choosing the non-manual modes? Do you need the camera maker to hold your hand, to take away choices? :) :)

I want them to take away the choices so they can produce a high end camera at a better cost.

Greg P 11-25-2011 03:15 AM

I have done some with full manual; but it's nice to have the camera handle some of the settings.

I think I will try the different metering setting as well.

I used to do full auto; but now I've been trying TV, which I actually have used before in the past.

It'll be a nice day tomorrow so I can try it out. :)

Indecline 11-25-2011 06:23 AM

I've beeen shooting full manual since 1968. I do like autofocus, so I use that. Why would you let the camera choose the exposure when you have three very strong light sources in the frame?

classiclights 11-25-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indecline (Post 145880)
Why would you let the camera choose the exposure when you have three very strong light sources in the frame?

That's a hard call, but you might be more likely to do so if your shooting skills were .............................. "In Decline". :smile:

Indecline 11-25-2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classiclights (Post 145882)
That's a hard call, but you might be more likely to do so if your shooting skills were .............................. "In Dcline". :smile:

Somehow I don't think my skills are Indecline. Been shooting this stuff a bit longer than most of the posters and screeners. So tell me something I don't know about how to shoot re. exposure dickhead.

Indecline 11-25-2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

That's a hard call, but you might be more likely to do so if your shooting skills were .............................. "In Decline". :smile:

BTW "Classiclights" I went to the data base to see if you have anything on the site to demostrate your outstandstanding photographic skills regarding exposure and I could not find a damn thing posted under your name. :oops:

So, please direct me to something that tells me you have a clue as to what the heck you are talking about.

Mr Indecline. :twisted:

Indecline 11-25-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

BTW "Classiclights" I went to the data base to see if you have anything on the site to demostrate your outstandstanding photographic skills regarding exposure and I could not find a damn thing posted under your name. :oops:

So, please direct me to something that tells me you have a clue as to what the heck you are talking about.

milwman 11-25-2011 08:28 AM

I tried full Auto from time to time =P ,TV, AV like if sun is popping in and out and every time the clouds blow out. I like M never me fails unless I do.

bigbassloyd 11-25-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indecline (Post 145884)

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=5369

Loyd L.

milwman 11-25-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 145887)

And hardly a diesel in site! Kind has to kill the fun if no ones running one.

Dennis A. Livesey 11-25-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indecline (Post 145883)
Somehow I don't think my skills are Indecline. Been shooting this stuff a bit longer than most of the posters and screeners. So tell me something I don't know about how to shoot re. exposure dickhead.

Whoa. Easy there. It was just a joke. That's Bob's sense of humor. It's a little warped maybe but it is never malicious.

And with a handle like Indecline, and your excellent skills, it's obvious you have one too.

classiclights 11-25-2011 11:11 AM

Thanks Loyd & Dennis !!! I think someone was having a little difficulty recognizing a very simple joke here. I'd offer up an apology, but it's so obvious that none is needed.

My use of the phrase: ... "if your shooting skills were" ..., along with the :wink: should have been fairly good indicators I was making a joke of this very easy setup based on a user name.

There was absolutely no "Slam" to or of anyone here!

As far as my user statistics, you'll never see me close to the top when it comes to submissions especially when I rarely submit anything, but you will find my average/views per photo to be well above average; and in this particular case it's something like: 3139 / 915, or 3.43 to 1.

At 64 I will readily admit to my shooting skills being far less than what they once were.

As far as my being a "Dickhead", that would be correct. I have been known to be one on more than one occasion - a badge I wear proudly. This occasion however is not one of them.

Let's put this one to bed now - :wink:

Holloran Grade 11-25-2011 06:10 PM

O, Snap!

Wow, this thread when down the bowl quick and neither Troy or myself were involved.

Interesting.

troy12n 11-25-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 145906)
Wow, this thread when down the bowl quick and neither Troy or myself were involved.

Interesting.

I got into an argument with someone on another forum recently with a guy who called me a pussy in so many words for using autofocus.

The guy's argument was "why let the camera focus when I can". Making the same argument in regards to focus as most of us use when touting the advantages of shooting in manual exposure mode.

He seemed like the type of person you just could not convince that any way other than his own was correct, so I just gave up. I kind of felt this thread was headed that way.

Indecline 11-25-2011 11:21 PM

Got it. I appreciate your response. :smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by classiclights (Post 145894)
Thanks Loyd & Dennis !!! I think someone was having a little difficulty recognizing a very simple joke here. I'd offer up an apology, but it's so obvious that none is needed.

My use of the phrase: ... "if your shooting skills were" ..., along with the :wink: should have been fairly good indicators I was making a joke of this very easy setup based on a user name.

There was absolutely no "Slam" to or of anyone here!

As far as my user statistics, you'll never see me close to the top when it comes to submissions especially when I rarely submit anything, but you will find my average/views per photo to be well above average; and in this particular case it's something like: 3139 / 915, or 3.43 to 1.

At 64 I will readily admit to my shooting skills being far less than what they once were.

As far as my being a "Dickhead", that would be correct. I have been known to be one on more than one occasion - a badge I wear proudly. This occasion however is not one of them.

Let's put this one to bed now - :wink: