RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Worth appealing? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13836)

daveedmo 04-22-2011 05:10 PM

Worth appealing?

The second one especially I feel should be in. It's not squint (look at the pantograph - the river goes over a waterfall at an angle), and any more sharpening would result in staircasing on the pantog wires.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=924507&key=0
Bad Cropping: Most often this means that the composition of the photo is poor as it relates the cropping of the image.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=924508&key=0
Horizon Unlevel: Try leveling the image in your photo editing software.
Undersharpened (Soft)

JRMDC 04-22-2011 05:25 PM

Re the first, always tricky to crop catenary. I don't much care for that piece of catenary structure in the upper left corner, and in general the top is too tight, given what is there. A little looser on the left would also help.

magicman_841 04-22-2011 05:46 PM

I pretty sure the second will get in once you rotate and sharpen it. Think it needs to turn CCW a little. And it is somewhat soft. But a great picture! Keep going at it!

daveedmo 04-22-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicman_841 (Post 135905)
I pretty sure the second will get in once you rotate and sharpen it. Think it needs to turn CCW a little.

That's my point - it's *not* squint. Use your mouse pointer arrow (if you're using windows) to test the vertical - the pantograph masts, the railings, the bridge supports, even the windows on the side of the engine. The weir on the river is not level; it's at an angle. Does no-one agree?

stevenmwelch 04-22-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveedmo (Post 135907)
That's my point - it's *not* squint. Use your mouse pointer arrow (if you're using windows) to test the vertical - the pantograph masts, the railings, the bridge supports, even the windows on the side of the engine. The weir on the river is not level; it's at an angle. Does no-one agree?

Its unlevel. Not sure what you're seeing but its about .4 degrees off.

Wizzo 04-22-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenmwelch (Post 135908)
Its unlevel. Not sure what you're seeing but its about .4 degrees off.

Make the viewing window smaller and then slide the catenery support over to the edge of the window - it aligns perfectly - the shot is level, but the angled weir gives the illusion its off.

However, whether you will get it past the screeners..........:)

troy12n 04-22-2011 07:43 PM

The first one is overexposed and/or lacks contrast/color depth.

stlgevo51 04-22-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzo (Post 135909)
Make the viewing window smaller and then slide the catenery support over to the edge of the window - it aligns perfectly - the shot is level, but the angled weir gives the illusion its off.

However, whether you will get it past the screeners..........:)

Funny, I zoomed in on the shot, and the catenery pole and bridge supports were definitely not level next to the side of the page. I can even tell, and I suck at leveling. It still could get on, just sharpen it and level it.

barnstormer 04-22-2011 08:46 PM

To answer your original question...don't appeal it just fix it and re-upload.

daveedmo 04-23-2011 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnstormer (Post 135920)
To answer your original question...don't appeal it just fix it and re-upload.

No, I'll bin it from this site. Don't see the point of uploading something I think is wrong just to get it published.

JRMDC 04-23-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveedmo (Post 135948)
No, I'll bin it from this site. Don't see the point of uploading something I think is wrong just to get it published.

Well, before you do that, I would at least open the shot up in software, rotate 0.4 or 0.3 degrees left, and look closely and see what you think. It is a small change, to be sure, but such "small" changes can make a big difference in the impression the shot conveys.

And, in this thread, now four of us see it as not level, one agrees with you. It is a *possibility* that in fact you are wrong. Consider the possibility...

I don't see the undersharpening. I would do the modest rotation and resubmit.

J

Joe the Photog 04-23-2011 09:39 PM

[quote=JRMDC;135956] And, in this thread, now four of us see it as not level...../QUOTE]
I'll jump on. Make that five. Not bad unlevel by any stretch, but unlevel. Good catch by the screener.

andy buckley 04-25-2011 11:40 AM

In the spirit of learning from those that seem to know, I thought I'd try what J suggested - so copied into PSP and ccw'd .4 degrees - and it does actually make a positive difference! Subtle but it's there.

btw, @Wizzo, the catenary poles may line up as parallel to a screen edge, but in my experience this is not necessarily a good gauge as the poles I've seen (and I live a few yards from the ECML) tend to lean outwards - I presume on purpose?

Try ligning up with the bridge supports and you'll see what I mean. I am of course assuming that they are vertical and not tapered....

Andy