RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Woe is freaking me. (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12189)

ken45 05-10-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Ryan (Post 114317)
Choose carefully. Do you know how many rejections I've had in the last year and a half? Hint ... it starts with "Z".

A zadrillion?

Hey Ben, I think you need to take a step back and stop getting caught up in the numbers game. There have been countless photographers on here who complain about rejections, low upload limits, and so on, and you are amongst them. The difference between you and the others is that you at least show potential and have proven you can take some nice shots. Most of the others, despite the infinite patience of many on these forums, were hopeless cases and didn't have a prayer of ever being consistent in taking even the most basic pictures at an RP level. Eventually, they went away into oblivion.

The baffling thing about you is, despite having several nice photos in the database and proving you can regularly go out and obtain nice shots, you get stuck on below average shots that for whatever reason you want in the database. The only reason I could come up with is that you're just wanting to pad your numbers and build your portfolio through numbers rather than quality. Then there's the constant complaining about the low number upload slots you have, and really it seems that RP is just about the numbers for you.

I would challenge you to pace your uploads. I upload, on average, 1 shot per WEEK, and the only time I upload more is if I fall behind that pace. In the past, I would put up everything RP worthy into the database as soon as I could. Later I transitioned to only uploading shots that were above average RP shots. Finally, after taking an RP holiday, I went on my current 1 upload per week pace. It really makes you think about what you're uploading, and how you want your portfolio to look. As a bonus, if you have a good weekend, you get shots in the backlog so if you go on a stretch where you don't get a lot of nice photos, you can just pull up a blast from the past.

But don't quit. That's just ridiculous.

Joe the Photog 05-10-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mSummers (Post 114326)
Defining the criteria would certainly help, but it would be even better if they would show you what your current "status" is. Without knowing where you stand vs. the criteria at any given time wouldn't be all that usefull.

It would be nice if somewhere in the Members Area, there was a place to tell you how many shots you've had accepte versus how many you've had rejected. It would be even nicer if there was some way they could break down the numbers over a two week period, one month, one year and maybe all time.

That way, if you're perfect like John Ryan or less so like me, you would know, hey, I'm batting worse than the Atlanta Braves. Maybe I'll hold off on that three points of light through the fog shot and uplod this perfect wedgie instead.

Wait a minute. I think that last sentence actually is an arguement aginst this method.

cblaz 05-10-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM (Post 114309)
  • I'm not a fan of volume uploads... The only time I really care about my upload limit is after a charter, when everyone is racing to post all of the best angles. In that situation, a few days delay can mean the difference between an SCA and an STP.

Thank you, Kevin, for a perfect example of why a 2-a-day upload limit is a good thing. If there's ~10 RP photographers on a 50-person charter, like there was on the N&W 382 charter earlier this year, the limit will stop one person for flooding the site with every angle of every runby done that charter, like has happened before.

They will be forced to add their best two shots the first day, then another two shots the next day, leaving other photographers plenty of other angles to submit. Then, even if charter participants have to travel a long distance and won't be home for a few days, there still may be angles that haven't been added yet when they are finally able to submit.

- Chris

coborn35 05-10-2010 05:07 PM

I liked his photo anyway.

Chase55671 05-10-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coborn35 (Post 114270)
Well you don't follow your own advice.
One cannot have 494 "best" photos. Tenish maybe, but not 494 photos that are your best.

I stated that someone "recently" told me and I never claimed my 494 images I currently have are my best. I have a few better photos, but I definitely agree that my near 500 images are not of my best work. If I thought that, I'd definitely need an ego check. In the future, I do plan on only submitting my best work and considered several times of pulling my less artistic images from the database.

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 114300)
Actually it would, we would have a lot more shots of St. Albans each day per average

:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by asis80 (Post 114314)
And that's exactly it Joe, it's going to run people off. Including me. Why am I a bad little boy for trying to get a shot on that is shot down only 3 times? 4 out of the now 10 rejections have been fixed and put in the DB. I'm not looking for a pity party or anything but I'm pretty close to pulling my shots and account from the site. I know I should man up, stop being a little cry baby about it, but this is just insane. I can see doing this to someone who's just starting out, uploads wedge after wedge, cloudy after cloudy, blurry after blurry. I'm actually trying here, trying to improve over all and this only hampers it because lord only freaking knows what little flaw a screener is going to find in a shot that I don't see. After that one rejection, I'M DONE! I'm done for that day. And that's supposed to help? Uh uh, I don't think so.

Ben

Ben, you're making this sound much more dramatic than it actually is. As Loyd stated, you'll get your uploads back eventually.

John covered your post pretty well, but I just have to add that you've been a RP contributor for a good while, you've had very nice images accepted and you should know what it takes you get an image accepted. That said, it surprises me that you'd push an overcast and overprocessed image several times after it was rejected. If it was overcast, I wouldn't of even taken the lens cap off.

And what good is removing your images from the database going to do? Because RP didn't go your way, you're going to bitch about it? Just be patient, only submit your better images (you have a lot already in the DB, many with PCA's, etc.) and eventually, I'd imagine you'll get your uploads back. This is just a "timeout" by the screeners.

Chase

Joe the Photog 05-10-2010 05:12 PM

Photo charters are only a small percentage of the shots that get uploaded to RP. I still think that if you only have two shots a day to RP, then you're going to upload the shots that have the best chance to get on instead of perhaps the better shot that may take a few tweaks. So at photo charters, you're more likely to still upload that standard wedgie of a train coming toward you.

Holloran Grade 05-10-2010 05:41 PM

If you are going to get mad.......
 
While I don't have an opinion about this topic either way (it is their Web Site and they can run it like they want) I do have an opinion about the drama queens that want to make a big deal about removing all their pictures and giving up on posting at RP.

Why the big hoo to do?

If someone is sick of all the grief and rejections that seem to be a regular part of the RP experience, then just quit uploading and go do something else.

Why the drama?

Your going to quit, ok, do it.

Why involve anyone else?

I think it is purely a matter of personal choice.

It is not like the the people who run this site are going to change things just to accommodate one or two bent out of shape prima donnas.

Seems the railfan world is overly populated by prima donnas, like the jack ass who told me two weeks ago that I had to be quiet at a grade crossing on a public street here in Orange County because he was shooting a video.

What a self-centered idiot.

Down to one upload? BFD, so am I.

Want to leave, do it - and do it now before you change your mind.;)




My rant is over, thank you.:razz:

JRMDC 05-10-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 114334)
Ben, you're making this sound much more dramatic than it actually is. As Loyd stated, you'll get your uploads back eventually.

That's a big hole in the argument. I follow these forums with some degree of regularity :) and I can assure you there has never been any indication whatsoever of how the process works, or if it is even a process at all, or just a shoot from the hip whatever comes to mind today sort of thing. I have no idea, neither does Loyd, and neither do you.

It is quite odd. In general I don't think RP is necessarily uber-responsive as websites go, or uber-transparent, but in general it is reasonable, especially for what is a small operation, to a significant extent a one person operation, as far as I can tell. So I have no complaints about the occasional non- or delayed-responsiveness. Chris is pretty good usually as far as I can observe. But this dimension in general seems to be a complete black hole.

J

KevinM 05-10-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblaz (Post 114331)
[/list] Thank you, Kevin, for a perfect example of why a 2-a-day upload limit is a good thing. If there's ~10 RP photographers on a 50-person charter, like there was on the N&W 382 charter earlier this year, the limit will stop one person for flooding the site with every angle of every runby done that charter, like has happened before.

They will be forced to add their best two shots the first day, then another two shots the next day, leaving other photographers plenty of other angles to submit. Then, even if charter participants have to travel a long distance and won't be home for a few days, there still may be angles that haven't been added yet when they are finally able to submit.

- Chris

It's an excellent suggestion, Chris. It would definitely encourage quality over quantity and it would give everyone a fairer chance to put their best foot forward.

I don't know how many individual submitters typically upload on a given day, but I'm sure CK and CS have at least a rough idea. With no more than 2 per day from everyone, the screening workload would absolutely have to be more manageable.

Chris Kilroy 05-10-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asis80 (Post 114314)
And that's exactly it Joe, it's going to run people off. Including me. Why am I a bad little boy for trying to get a shot on that is shot down only 3 times? 4 out of the now 10 rejections have been fixed and put in the DB. I'm not looking for a pity party or anything but I'm pretty close to pulling my shots and account from the site. I know I should man up, stop being a little cry baby about it, but this is just insane. I can see doing this to someone who's just starting out, uploads wedge after wedge, cloudy after cloudy, blurry after blurry. I'm actually trying here, trying to improve over all and this only hampers it because lord only freaking knows what little flaw a screener is going to find in a shot that I don't see. After that one rejection, I'M DONE! I'm done for that day. And that's supposed to help? Uh uh, I don't think so.

Insane?

Here's an idea: stop repeatedly re-submitting shots that have been rejected for an uncorrectable flaw!

As John Ryan so succinctly put it, you can't "fix" cloudy. I don't care if you photoshop the sky blue (first re-upload), turn it black and white (second), or turn the shot yellow and paste a big cartoon sun in the sky, it's still a cloudy day shot. You should have gotten that message loud and clear after the first resubmission, which was rejected with a very clearly worded message telling you not to do it again. But you did, I saw it, and now you're back at 1.

I give people who are genuinely trying to learn and do things the right way the benefit of the doubt 99 times out of 100, but I have very little patience with people who play games, and this isn't the first time you've been caught up in something like this.

Honestly, though, reducing your limit was nothing more than an attempt on my part to get your attention (a slap upside the head, if you will) and let you know that doing what you did was completely unacceptable. I left you a personal note in the rejection e-mail when I dropped your limit, telling you exactly why it was done. Had you bothered to come to me directly, instead of exploding on the forum, you would have had your limit back up that day.

Instead, you've got 5 of them back now.

You're a talented photographer, but your overzealousness gets you in trouble sometimes. I was simply trying to point that out and let you see it from our side as well.

asis80 05-10-2010 08:03 PM

Chris, with all due respect, I'm not playing any games. I genuinely thought that shot had a chance after some minor adjustments. Maybe I don't "get it" or am as good as you or anyone else thinks I am. I didn't see the personal note in the rejection email, I'm looking at it right now, I see no note what so ever. If I would have seen that note, I would have let this whole situation alone. So I'll man up and apologize, although I didn't see your personal "pull Ben to the side and tell him to watch it."

Ben

And thanks for putting me back up to 5.

Missabefan 05-10-2010 10:10 PM

10 characters

Photoshooter09 05-10-2010 11:31 PM

Cue the Michael Jackson avatar!!

Holloran Grade 05-11-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy (Post 114348)
Insane?

Here's an idea: stop repeatedly re-submitting shots that have been rejected for an uncorrectable flaw!

As John Ryan so succinctly put it, you can't "fix" cloudy. I don't care if you photoshop the sky blue (first re-upload), turn it black and white (second), or turn the shot yellow and paste a big cartoon sun in the sky, it's still a cloudy day shot. You should have gotten that message loud and clear after the first resubmission, which was rejected with a very clearly worded message telling you not to do it again. But you did, I saw it, and now you're back at 1.

I give people who are genuinely trying to learn and do things the right way the benefit of the doubt 99 times out of 100, but I have very little patience with people who play games, and this isn't the first time you've been caught up in something like this.

Honestly, though, reducing your limit was nothing more than an attempt on my part to get your attention (a slap upside the head, if you will) and let you know that doing what you did was completely unacceptable. I left you a personal note in the rejection e-mail when I dropped your limit, telling you exactly why it was done. Had you bothered to come to me directly, instead of exploding on the forum, you would have had your limit back up that day.

Instead, you've got 5 of them back now.

You're a talented photographer, but your overzealousness gets you in trouble sometimes. I was simply trying to point that out and let you see it from our side as well.


So could I have some upload spots back too?

I would be happy with three per day and I didn't even complain when they were taken away the first time.

Thanks.

JimThias 05-11-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM (Post 114309)
To me, the goal is interesting, high-quality pictures.

AKA, your "best." :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy (Post 114348)
I don't care if you photoshop the sky blue (first re-upload), turn it black and white (second), or turn the shot yellow and paste a big cartoon sun in the sky...

You mean like this?

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/album...k27-2-6056.jpg

:lol: That was one of my first rejects on RP. I photoshopped the cartoon sun in and seriously considered resubmitting it that way. :twisted:

Holloran Grade 05-11-2010 02:35 AM

Good Idea but....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 114357)
...[portion omitted]....:lol: That was one of my first rejects on RP. I photoshopped the cartoon sun in and seriously considered resubmitting it that way. :twisted:

It won't work because then you will get this notice:

Reason(s) for Rejection: - Poor lighting (Backlit): The image is backlit or doesn't feature enough light on the nose or visible sides of the subject.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 114357)
I photoshopped the cartoon sun in

Oh, and here I thought some yutz had put a sticker on my monitor.:p

If you do submit it, make sure you make it so Gumby is driving.

That will add a little color on the front end.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.