RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   top bottom left right anything but middle (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16697)

JRMDC 10-09-2013 02:03 AM

top bottom left right anything but middle

can't crop the middle, after all!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...60&key=7278099

I have some thoughts but don't trust them. I like it as it is, actually - surprise, surprise, wouldn't have uploaded it otherwise - but looking for fresh perspective.

troy12n 10-09-2013 02:25 AM

You are not going to like my suggestion, but to "get it on", do a vertical crop.

Barring that, I would take some off the right and bottom.

Mgoldman 10-09-2013 02:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 170871)
can't crop the middle, after all!

I disagree - I'm not a fan of the freight car nor the ugly white building.

I would do just that - crop the middle.

Attachment 8244

/Mitch

Mgoldman 10-09-2013 02:29 AM

If you're not into that - I'd crop the top - the sky isn't your friend and the crop is a bit "tall". Vertical, better yet.

/Mitch

troy12n 10-09-2013 02:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go, I added a couple other "fixes" while I was at it.

http://forums.railpictures.net/attac...1&d=1381282545

JRMDC 10-09-2013 02:53 AM

Harrumph, I say! :) But I do see the value of the vertical approach, thanks.

KevinM 10-09-2013 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like Mitch, I am not in love with some of the elements (notably the dump truck) in this shot. Troy's suggestion of doing a vertical crop is one possibility. Another is going 4:5 and cropping down if you have the MPs.

bigbassloyd 10-09-2013 01:48 PM

I'd reshoot on a better weather day.. :D

Loyd L.

JRMDC 10-09-2013 02:19 PM

Kevin, I'm a fan of verticals more than most but I don't care for the ones proposed here. Too ordinary, just engine and trees, cloudy/common to me. So I much prefer your approach, because it keeps more of the scene, and I will work on that.

As for the "elements", pretty is pretty and this isn't it, and that doesn't bother me so much - because, regrettably, I seem to run into it all the time. :) But I understand the issue with respect to its general appeal.

Loyd, ha ha. Actually, it is an interesting question of what sort of weather is best for shooting a northbound train that runs only at 11:30am, so no beginning/end of day side light. I happened to get stuck with dark overcast, maybe light overcast? I'd say a snowy day with light overcast. Not much possibility of that, and frankly this location isn't so wonderful that I am going to seek out other opportunities.

Hatchetman 10-09-2013 03:23 PM

That is a tough one. The MOW(?) car is a problem.

JRMDC 10-09-2013 05:01 PM

Hatch, I thought it was just a covered hopper, but it has some railings on top that don't look right, so I have no idea what it is for.

To me the bigger problem than the car - what's the problem, freight cars are along side the tracks in lots of places! - is that large plain gray wall on the left side.

Should I photoshop some graffiti on it? :) :) A WM fireball herald?

bigbassloyd 10-09-2013 06:22 PM

I honestly think that if the composition or look of the image isn't extremely striking at first glance, the eyes find something to hate about it.

The hopper is the offender in this instance. I didn't notice the wall until you pointed it out.

Just cheapen yourself and go vertical. :)

Loyd L.

JRMDC 10-09-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 170903)
Just cheapen yourself and go vertical. :)

Loyd L.

Or stick to principles and bury it on flickr for 15 views max!

But I just don't see why the hopper is so offensive. If I had time/inclination I'd look around and see if there are (at least somewhat) comparable shots on RP.

JimThias 10-09-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 170905)

You definitely need to network more. ;)

ken45 10-09-2013 10:01 PM

I'd let this one go. It looks like a cloudy day grab shot, and there really isn't much going for this scene. There's just too much distracting clutter and the light stinks. Even if you did manage to get it on, it really wouldn't add anything to your collection of photos on RP.

JRMDC 10-09-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 170906)
You definitely need to network more. ;)

Beginning networking now! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrm_dc/10177258223/

jac_murphy 10-11-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 170905)

Not since Flickr started screwing with the ways views get counted. :lol:

I now get about four times more views on a daily basis than I did three or four months ago (and I haven't uploaded anything in quite some time.)

-Jacques

Holloran Grade 10-11-2013 05:21 AM

Is the building on the hill in the upper left hand corner important?

JRMDC 10-11-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 170981)
Is the building on the hill in the upper left hand corner important?

In life? no idea :)

In the photo? Well, I do like showing that the city is not just flat. I suppose I could crop below the building but still above the row of houses on the hillside.

Anyway, I've set this one aside. The vert does not interest me much, and I decided it was time to let this one go.

Holloran Grade 10-11-2013 04:16 PM

^^ It just seemed that it was an element that you wanted to show, so before I suggested a crop where it disappeared, I thought I would ask.;)

My personal take - this is not a really photogenic spot even with the city, a much closer crop would be the direction "I" would go, and in this instance, I would have opted for a ground level shot.

JRMDC 10-11-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 171003)
in this instance, I would have opted for a ground level shot.

The shot was not planned; I didn't even know of the spot. I had left the spot where I got the station departure shot and was taking a shortcut with intentions of heading on down the line when I ran across railfans on the bridge. To my surprise the train had not yet gotten to this point - they apparently did a second boarding for the rear cars on the train - so I had time to park and get back to this spot on the bridge. Got to see a very nice steam departure, although not a photogenic one.

JMC 10-11-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 171003)
My personal take - this is not a really photogenic spot even with the city, a much closer crop would be the direction "I" would go, and in this instance, I would have opted for a ground level shot.

That and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee, since your shots are complete shit :-P

Holloran Grade 10-11-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 171004)
The shot was not planned; .........

That too, seemed obvious based on your past work.:lol:

My close crop preference would be to get rid of as much as the background as possible.

Example:

[photoid=398332]

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMC (Post 171005)
That and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee, since your shots are complete shit :-P

Nope, one look at me and they charge double, even at Dennys.

JimThias 10-11-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 171007)
My close crop preference would be to get rid of as much as the background as possible.

Example:

[photoid=398332]

That's a roster shot. J shot a scene.

Joe the Photog 10-12-2013 12:07 AM

Any reason the steamer is so far back in the frame, J? If you shot it when it was closer to you, it might get rid of the distractions everyone keeps bringing up.