RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Kodachrome (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10793)

Freericks 09-23-2009 04:15 AM

Kodachrome

I have one roll of Kodachrome left. What should I use it on?

milwman 09-23-2009 04:18 AM

Save it for your mantel, maybe worth saving as is.

Ween 09-23-2009 04:19 AM

I'd keep it as is. Nostalgia and all...

lock4244 09-23-2009 05:12 AM

I think I kept the few rolls I had left after going digital (buried somewhere). I think keeping them as mantle pieces is a good idea.

trainboysd40 09-23-2009 05:26 AM

Your very best photos.
That's what I'm doing with my first and last rolls.

Joe the Photog 09-23-2009 06:28 AM

Go find something older to shoot, a neat shortline with vintage power, even a branch line with some neat stuff, or a museum. You needn't keep a roll of film unused for nostalgia. Keep the neat vintage shots from that roll of film for nostalgia.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) 09-23-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 99655)
Go find something older to shoot, a neat shortline with vintage power, even a branch line with some neat stuff, or a museum. You needn't keep a roll of film unused for nostalgia. Keep the neat vintage shots from that roll of film for nostalgia.

When I first saw this I thought the very same thing. But then I said, "well, then it looks like a roll of Kodachrome from 19--." Why not shoot the NEWEST things you could find in perfect conditions of course. Gensets. Heritage schemes. New locomotives. New stations. This way it's Kodachrome from the 21st century OF the 21st century.

JimThias 09-23-2009 10:57 PM

Film? What's that? :lol:

chuckman 09-23-2009 11:15 PM

Just so long as you find a use for it before it expires...

Dennis A. Livesey 09-24-2009 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckman (Post 99693)
Just so long as you find a use for it before it expires...

Actually, film will be fine long after it's expiration date, frozen or not. It just wont be "perfect".

In this case, it will be more important to get the film to Dwayne's before they shut down the world's last Kodachrome processing machine by the end of 2010.

That machine ought to go to a museum or some collector. Someone out there might be just enough of a chemist to bring back the film. There is a group in Belgium resurrecting Polaroid, so why not?

I think Joe's AND Andrew have the right idea. I do just that with the seven rolls I've got left.

Since I love the Kodachrome's my Dad took of the family 50 year's ago, I will shoot family/friends too.

Joe the Photog 09-24-2009 04:27 AM

I like Andrews idea, too. Go vintage with the new stuff, too.

FAdams 09-24-2009 05:34 AM

My understanding that Dwayn's in Parson KS (the last lab anywhere to still process K se ise film) will not continue to process it past the end of 2010. Is this true?

trainboysd40 09-24-2009 07:00 AM

They didn't say that they wouldn't process it beyond that, what they said was that they were continuing to process it until the end of 2010...

Dennis A. Livesey 09-24-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainboysd40 (Post 99715)
They didn't say that they wouldn't process it beyond that, what they said was that they were continuing to process it until the end of 2010...

Yes, that is parsed correctly. :smile:

Since Dwayne's presently will process other obsolete film (get Grandma's Disc film out of the bottom drawer now!) they are leaving the door open for processing runs of Kodachrome on a as needed basis. In other words, if they get enough rolls to justify the cost of a run, I'm sure they would do so after the cut off date.

However, I simply can't imagine there would be enough film needing processing after 2010 to keep the machine in fresh chemicals every day. Indeed, I imagine toward the end of 2010, the runs will be on a minimum basis. (Except I'm sure they will get a huge number of rolls to process in December as everyone gets their last Christmas shots in!)

The big point of course is that Kodak has quit making the film, thus need for processing is finite.

travsirocz 09-24-2009 03:58 PM

I would get one of those baseball display cases and set your last roll right in it.