RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Quality Problems (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16732)

CSX1702 10-24-2013 11:12 PM

Quality Problems
 
I've noticed a couple of my shots seem to lack in quality a little bit. An example:

[photoid=383456]

And a quick search of the same type of engine finds this:
[photoid=454238]

To me, it looks like it has more of "real" feeling too it.
But in another picture I've taken:

[photoid=392864]
The quality's fine and everything. (Except wayyy down the tracks, but that's expected.)



My question is, what is causing this? I have a couple of theories:

1. I've been told it's not Megapixels, so stop telling me it's not megapixels. Lol.

2. I don't know how to use a camera.
Well I'm a pretty smart guy, so I doubt this. :lol: But seriously, I don't have the time to get out and practice a lot. And when I do, I live in Ohio so it's cloudy. Always.

3. I'm crazy and I'm being too critical of myself.
Again, doubtful. I guess you can never be too critical of yourself. Lol.


All of this is just me wanting to become a better photographer. And that's a problem because as stated above, I just don't have the time. Lol.

EDIT: I also don't shoot raw. Never had the time to try it, really.

JRMDC 10-24-2013 11:32 PM

You only show two pictures of your own. The second is fine. The first, maybe a bit sharper, tis all. Not enough to see the pattern. And I see neither "weird" nor "drawn," so hard to opine on that.

1. > 14.2 makes no difference in RP-sized shots, none at all. Yeah, but you are right, my 15.0 trounces your 14.2, I'm in a different league. :)

2. The second shot suggests you are fine.

3. Translate too critical to inaccurately critical, and you may be going somewhere. But again, one can't tell with only one bad shot! And it's not particularly bad! Poorly posed question! :)

Raw helps with exposure latitude and color balance, but not in sharpness, composition, depth of field, or any of a bunch of other dimensions.

CSX1702 10-24-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 171445)
You only show two pictures of your own. The second is fine. The first, maybe a bit sharper, tis all. Not enough to see the pattern. And I see neither "weird" nor "drawn," so hard to opine on that.

Yeah, having a rather small sample size doesn't help anything. Maybe won day I'll win the lottery and will be able to get out more. Lol.

I do have quite a few shots of things other trains too. And they're pretty good I guess. :lol:

troy12n 10-25-2013 12:37 AM

1. are you shooting raw?
2. if so, how are you doing jpeg conversions?

I had an issue once where I accidentally changed the jpeg quality slider in photoshop from "max" to "7" (out of 10) and it caused issues. Luckily I save in .psd and went back, re-converted and everything was fine.

CSX1702 10-25-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 171447)
1. are you shooting raw?
2. if so, how are you doing jpeg conversions?

I had an issue once where I accidentally changed the jpeg quality slider in photoshop from "max" to "7" (out of 10) and it caused issues. Luckily I save in .psd and went back, re-converted and everything was fine.

1. No.
2. See #1. Lol.

I need to get the time to mess around with it.

jdirelan87 10-25-2013 02:02 AM

Which lenses are you using?

I'm going to assume by the quality, settings and time of day of the second shot you are using a kit lens. Shooting a kit lens at f/5.6 in low light conditions combined with alot of post editing to "save it" can often result in the what you're talking about.

The first photo looks fine to my eye, maybe a little over sharpened, but barely. It was also shot in great light at f/9, so I would expect it to be good even with a kit lens.

If you are infact using kit lenses, or similar low end lenses, always keep in mind their limitations. Shoot at f/8 or there abouts as much as possible and understand that as the lighting conditions start to deteriorate and you go wide open, quality is going to drop. I also recommend shooting RAW, you can get away with significantly more while post processing.

PS: as a side note, I highly recommend not looking at pictures very long once you're done processing them. The more you look, the more wrong you will find with them. I know plenty of photographers (myself included) who have almost walked away from the hobby because they couldn't get the color tone perfect or things were never sharp enough.

CSX1702 10-25-2013 02:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdirelan87 (Post 171449)
Which lenses are you using?

I'm going to assume by the quality, settings and time of day of the second shot you are using a kit lens. Shooting a kit lens at f/5.6 in low light conditions combined with alot of post editing to "save it" can often result in the what you're talking about.

The first photo looks fine to my eye, maybe a little over sharpened, but barely. It was also shot in great light at f/9, so I would expect it to be good even with a kit lens.

If you are infact using kit lenses, or similar low end lenses, always keep in mind their limitations. Shoot at f/8 or there abouts as much as possible and understand that as the lighting conditions start to deteriorate and you go wide open, quality is going to drop. I also recommend shooting RAW, you can get away with significantly more while post processing.

PS: as a side note, I highly recommend not looking at pictures very long once you're done processing them. The more you look, the more wrong you will find with them. I know plenty of photographers (myself included) who have almost walked away from the hobby because they couldn't get the color tone perfect or things were never sharp enough.


Yeah, most of my pictures are taken with the 18-55 mm kit lens that came with the camera. I think all of my RP pics might be anyways.

I also have a 55-200 mm lens. I mainly use it for my scenery shots or "farther away" shots.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ni...200mm_400w.gif

We have a couple hummingbird feeders. Whenever I try to catch the birds I use it so I can get farther away.

Attachment 8276

CSX1702 10-25-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdirelan87 (Post 171449)
PS: as a side note, I highly recommend not looking at pictures very long once you're done processing them. The more you look, the more wrong you will find with them. I know plenty of photographers (myself included) who have almost walked away from the hobby because they couldn't get the color tone perfect or things were never sharp enough.

Now that you mention it, I do look way too long at them.

Cjbdiesel 10-25-2013 02:57 AM

Your pictures look fine to me. 14.2 MP is not bad at all. My last camera (Fujifilm) only had 14 MP and it was my first RP cam, too. I just think you're staring at your shots and comparing them for too long. There's some guys on here who've done it their whole lives or people like me who's done it for 4 years or so. Nothing to worry about. As long as RP accepts the picture, you're good.

[photoid=384363]

Holloran Grade 10-25-2013 03:58 AM

At least half the pictures I have on RP were shot with a 10.1 MP Canon Rebel XTi.

I do suggest shooting in RAW format and you should have your file size set to maximum.

Further, select a single focus point rather than auto and shooting in manual mode will produce better shots once you get comfortable with the camera.

Shooting in auto mode is a crap shoot, and unreliable.

CSX1702 10-25-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 171460)
Further, select a single focus point rather than auto and shooting in manual mode will produce better shots once you get comfortable with the camera.

Shooting in auto mode is a crap shoot, and unreliable.

I'll check what focus mode I'm on, I have no idea. And I already shoot in manual. I've shot in auto and got good shots, but like what you said, it is a crap shoot.

Holloran Grade 10-25-2013 06:34 PM

10.1 MP Rebel with a kit 200mm telephoto zoom lens.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3661/3...4488258d_m.jpg
The Raven Knows by El Roco Photography, on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3563/3...0ef5b697_m.jpg
Cooper's Hawk by El Roco Photography, on Flickr


Same Rebel with a Canon 100-400 L Series zoom.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4082/4...f6386495_m.jpg
Afternoon Feeding by El Roco Photography, on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3519/3...324e2cd1_m.jpg
Humming Bird by El Roco Photography, on Flickr




It helps to know how to use the camera.

Holloran Grade 10-25-2013 06:37 PM

Same 100-400mm lens and a 22.1 MP body.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7201/6...7914951f_z.jpg
The Ravens of Ludlow by El Roco Photography, on Flickr

Holloran Grade 10-25-2013 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX1702 (Post 171465)
I'll check what focus mode I'm on, I have no idea. .

You want to only select the center point, or a single point depending on where your subject is located in the frame.

Attachment 8277

Do not shoot with the camera selecting multiple points, because you will have limited control over where the camera focuses.

With a single focus point, you know where it is going to focus.

CSX1702 10-25-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 171468)
You want to only select the center point, or a single point depending on where your subject is located in the frame.

Attachment 8277

Do not shoot with the camera selecting multiple points, because you will have limited control over where the camera focuses.

With a single focus point, you know where it is going to focus.

I may have turned off single point when I was shooting the bird (the last picture I've taken) because I had no idea where it would be at. Lol.

troy12n 10-25-2013 07:16 PM

You need to shoot raw then...

JimThias 10-25-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 171468)
You want to only select the center point, or a single point depending on where your subject is located in the frame.

This. And then move the focus control to the * button.

troy12n 10-26-2013 12:17 AM

Center focus point is the only one worth a damn on most older Canon cameras IMHO.

Dennis A. Livesey 10-26-2013 01:52 AM

Nikon or Canon are the only DSLRs that pros use. So nothing wrong there.

14 MP not enough? As Janusz says, it does not matter here.

10MP has been good for me. This fine detail shot for example.

[photoid=372676]

Using a single AF point with a button as Bill and Jim suggest is "right on" as we said in the hippie 60's.

I have upgraded to L grade lenses. Please do the same in Nikkor when you can.

If you get deeper into photography, you will shoot RAW. And then you will say why didn't I do it sooner.

I dove into RAW the moment I had a camera that could do it. I have been blessed ever since.

This shot was saved because of RAW.

[photoid=242973]

CSX1702 10-26-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey (Post 171476)
If you get deeper into photography, you will shoot RAW. And then you will say why didn't I do it sooner.

I would say I'm "deep" in photography now. I'm really interested in it, but I have almost zero time to get out and hone my skills any. And like I said above, I live in Ohio so when I do get out, its cloudy. So almost all RP-style shots go out the window. :lol:

I did have a months vacation from June to July and I got some good scenery shots. I'm not on Flickr or anything else though, so I have nowhere to share them.

JimThias 10-26-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX1702 (Post 171478)
And like I said above, I live in Ohio so when I do get out, its cloudy. So almost all RP-style shots go out the window. :lol:

There is an endless supply of sunny day shots from Ohio on RP and Flickr. Are you living in a strange portion of of Ohio where the sun doesn't shine much?

WMHeilman 10-26-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 171481)
There is an endless supply of sunny day shots from Ohio on RP and Flickr. Are you living in a strange portion of of Ohio where the sun doesn't shine much?

Cincy is pretty strange...

Holloran Grade 10-26-2013 04:06 PM

Flickr is free.

CSX1702 10-26-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 171481)
There is an endless supply of sunny day shots from Ohio on RP and Flickr. Are you living in a strange portion of of Ohio where the sun doesn't shine much?

You clearly have never lived in Ohio. Lol. Ohio has some of the worst weather ever. That and like I said a couple times above now, I can't get out often, and when I do, they just happen to be on cloudy days.

CSX1702 10-26-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 171486)
Flickr is free.

Yeah, I know. Just never got the urge to make one.

kszok 10-26-2013 05:02 PM

Canon 10D 6 MP
[photoid=136549]

[photoid=136807]

MagnumForce 10-26-2013 05:39 PM

We have the worst weather ever? News to me! I just get out on weekends and shoot plenty of Sunny shots, shoot some cloudy ones too. You just have to work differently when it is cloudy. What is your point?

I would be willing to bet that more photos on here are taken at less than 14 MP than more than 14 MP too. I know plenty of people, myself included that have 10 and 8 MP cameras and get plenty of shots on here. Unless you are cropping heavily or blowing up something to the size of a barn it doesn't matter.

CSX1702 10-26-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 171492)
We have the worst weather ever? News to me! I just get out on weekends and shoot plenty of Sunny shots, shoot some cloudy ones too. You just have to work differently when it is cloudy. What is your point?

My point is that where I live, there's nothing unique around here that would get a cloudy day shot on. And I'm glad you've had great weather because it's been cloudy down here for a week or more.

That's not even the point I was making though. I'll say it for 50th time, I don't have time to get out and when I do, it just happens to be a cloudy day.

WMHeilman 10-26-2013 06:12 PM

There's nothing unique in Cincy? Wow, you must be extremely sheltered.

MagnumForce 10-26-2013 06:26 PM

Nothing unique at all in Northwest Ohio, just a lot of trains. The Cinci area has some of the most unique stuff in the country so no issue there. I still see plenty of cloudy shots from myself and my group of friends that gets on up here. Doesn't have to be unique to get a cloudy shot on RP, just good. This idea that only sunny shots are accepted is totally absurd.

Shoot good stuff and you won't have an issue. Quit making excuses. You don't even need the best equipment to do that. There are groups in Flickr devoted to shots take with an IPhone for god's sake, and the shots are all amazing.

CSX1702 10-26-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMHeilman (Post 171494)
There's nothing unique in Cincy? Wow, you must be extremely sheltered.

Easy there. My thing says Cincy but I actually live about 35 miles north. I just picked the closest city for that.

This is a shot from Cincy I would like to redo when I get the chance to go back down there.

[photoid=394663]

I'd like to get more of the skyline in it.

CSX1702 10-26-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 171495)
Doesn't have to be unique to get a cloudy shot on RP, just good. This idea that only sunny shots are accepted is totally absurd.

Shoot good stuff and you won't have an issue. Quit making excuses. You don't even need the best equipment to do that. There are groups in Flickr devoted to shots take with an IPhone for god's sake, and the shots are all amazing.

I'm not making excuses. Why would I? It's just that in the small town I live in, there's nothing really that would make me want to take a cloudy day picture of a train. There would be nothing "special" about it. A cloudy day wedgie, who wants to see that?

WMHeilman 10-26-2013 07:13 PM

You could choose to not make it a wedgie? Come on, there are a million ways to shoot a train. You're holding yourself back.

[photoid=441514]

[photoid=419676]

[photoid=411130]

And just as proof that even cloudy day wedgies can be interesting.

[photoid=412778]

It's autumn right now. Fall colors pop on cloudy days. Go find some color.

MagnumForce 10-26-2013 07:27 PM

Who says you have to shoot wedgies? Come on dood, heck a broadside with a tree can be interesting if you do it right.

Are you a kid? Do you not have the ability to travel even a few miles away from home?

CSX1702 10-26-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 171499)

Are you a kid? Do you not have the ability to travel even a few miles away from home?

For the 100th time now.....time.

WMHeilman 10-26-2013 08:04 PM

Then don't complain about getting good shots. Take what you can get when you can get it.

CSX1702 10-26-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMHeilman (Post 171502)
Then don't complain about getting good shots. Take what you can get when you can get it.

Now with all that complaining I just did about cloudy days, when I took this there was "filtered sunlight" thing going on. I'm honestly amazed it got on.


[photoid=453057]

MagnumForce 10-26-2013 09:30 PM

I have neither time or money but am still able to easily go 10 miles east or west and catch a train in an hour. You live 30 miles north of Cinci, ok. On what line, the New Castle District? The Toledo Sub? Hamilton itself? What town do you live in?

30 miles north of Cinci is around Hamilton, and the area in an around Hamilton is one of the most varied and interesting locations in a state that has a lot of varied and interesting locations. Your arguments are still invalid.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=23704

Wedges, wedges, more wedges, think outside the wedge box! You are only holding YOURSELF back.

Ween 10-26-2013 10:03 PM

You "only" have 14.2MP? Not an issue:

2MP Nikon Coolpix 2100 point-n-shoot:
[photoid=96234]

7.1MP Canon SD1000 point-n-shoot:
[photoid=285340]

Granted, the first one was back in RP's olden days, but still...megapixels and camera type aren't lim-facs. Half the battle is capturing the image, the other half is processing...if you're no good at one of them, the end result will suffer.

CSX1702 10-26-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 171507)
30 miles north of Cinci is around Hamilton, and the area in an around Hamilton is one of the most varied and interesting locations in a state that has a lot of varied and interesting locations. Your arguments are still invalid.

Wedges, wedges, more wedges, think outside the wedge box! You are only holding YOURSELF back.

Yeah, when I am able to get out, its usually to Hamilton. The town I live in has the Toledo Sub and the NS Dayton District going through it.

I know I'm taking a lot of wedgies but it's hard to not take them when I can't practice thinking out of the wedge box.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.