RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I'd Love Your Opinions... (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13593)

stevenmwelch 03-02-2011 08:07 AM

I'd Love Your Opinions...

... on this shot. Not sure really what I was thinking with such a slow shutter, but, I like it. I might be able to reshoot it one day, but, for now, is the blur the killer or is it just soft? I can't tell, because I've been up all day working and have a migraine.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=605063951

Gracias!

Joe the Photog 03-02-2011 11:22 AM

You have been up too long. This is a snap shot that people post on Flickr, then have their friends tell them the reflction is really "kewl" and they should "post that pic to RP." To say it doesn't belong under your name on this web site actually gives it more credit than it's due. Steven, you're way better than this. I'm going to strike this submission up to you having a Charlie Sheen moment and mopve on.

Basically, not enough blur to look purposefully. Looks more out of focus. Reflective tape looks point and shootererish. Lots of noise in the clouds and looks PIQ to me in the ground. Engine cut off at the very back.

trainboysd40 03-02-2011 02:29 PM

Jesus Christ Welch, what are you THINKING?
First thought as it loaded: Wow, that's noisy.
Second thought: Oh no, REALLY?
It's a poorly executed poor idea. What WERE you thinking?

Holloran Grade 03-02-2011 03:27 PM

Just submit it if you want.

I like it, in that it doesn't look like <u>everything</u> else on this Web Site.

However, you have these problems:

(1) It is really grainy;

(2) It would have been better to get to the right of the signal so that you could get some of the sun in the sunset;

(3) Need to get less dead space in foreground on the road.

Also, if I have something that I like but I think might be too avaunt-guard for RP I just submit it and see what happens.

Such as:

[photoid=324322]

If they take it great.

If not, no biggie.

JimThias 03-02-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenmwelch (Post 132399)
I can't tell, because I've been up all day working and have a migraine.

Steven, this photo is almost the equivalent of that reporter who was suffering from a migraine. :twisted:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 132406)
I like it, in that it doesn't look like <u>everything</u> else on this Web Site.

I'd rather have it look like everything else on this web site than everything else on rrarchives. :lol:

Joe the Photog 03-02-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 132410)
Steven, this photo is almost the equivalent of that reporter who was suffering from a migraine. :twisted:

Best and most precise comment on this thread. At least until this one --
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 132410)
I'd rather have it look like everything else on this web site than everything else on rrarchives. :lol:

This is the type of shot that people who have no clue on photography post comments to saying it's "kewl," not using capital letters while over using exclamation points.

coborn35 03-02-2011 04:46 PM

I bet Chase would've gotten it on...:twisted:

Chase55671 03-02-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainboysd40 (Post 132404)

:lol: I agree with Hicks! You're way too drunk and/or tired. Get some sleep and re-edit during your four day weekend!

Quote:

Originally Posted by coborn35 (Post 132424)
I bet Chase would've gotten it on...:twisted:

No, because I wouldn't have submitted that garbage in the first place. :)

Chase

stevenmwelch 03-02-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 132429)
:lol: I agree with Hicks! You're way too drunk and/or tired. Get some sleep and re-edit during your four day weekend!

I was totally sober, but after 4 hours of being on the phone with BNSF mechanical since I can't read Spanish on my FerroMex DPU, a few brain farts (totally forgot to put the other DPU online, try pulling 1.6% with four motors that suck ass on a 16,882 ton coal train and you don't get very far.. At least my conductor lost 20 lbs walking the 6200 foot train twice... hehe) and then a broken rail.. Died on hours. So, there's my excuse. All caused the migraine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671
No, because I wouldn't have submitted that garbage in the first place. :)

I love how when I say that I get banned from the site...

stevenmwelch 03-02-2011 08:32 PM

Might I add, a 18 hour on duty day sure will pay nice, now I can afford that 70-200.. (Hits "Purchase" on B&H....)

stevenmwelch 03-02-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 132418)
This is the type of shot that people who have no clue on photography post comments to saying it's "kewl," not using capital letters while over using exclamation points.

Hey, I got a "SWEET!" from one of my favorite photographers of all time on Facebook about the shot... ;) He just so happens to have this weeks' POTW... :grin:

Chase55671 03-02-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenmwelch (Post 132433)
I love how when I say that I get banned from the site...

I say it with love.. :)

Chase

stevenmwelch 03-02-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 132437)
I say it with love.. :)

Chase

Thanks. Nightmares and throwing up for the next 20 years begins now.

troy12n 03-02-2011 09:38 PM

At least you dont have a huge rash or outbreak of some STD on your calf

Chase55671 03-02-2011 09:53 PM

:lol:

Chase

trainboysd40 03-02-2011 10:26 PM

Oh, you guys.

bigbassloyd 03-02-2011 11:06 PM

So what's worse?

A bad attempt at a different shot, or a parade of accepted boring wedgies?

Discuss :D

Loyd L.

Chase55671 03-02-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 132450)
So what's worse?

Loyd L.

A bad attempt at a different shot is obviously better. Just because I post wedgies doesn't mean I like it. I do like them, but try to only post them every now and then. I try to only display a unique portfolio.

I do what makes me happy, though. :)

Chase

AntD. 03-02-2011 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 132450)
So what's worse?

Loyd L.

I like boring since I'm "so good at it" :lol:

crazytiger 03-03-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 132451)
A bad attempt at a different shot is obviously better. Just because I post wedgies doesn't mean I like it. I do like them, but try to only post them every now and then. I try to only display a unique portfolio.

Chase

"Now and then" obviously accounts for the barrage I saw recently. :p No, its all good.

Watain 03-03-2011 12:48 AM

I like the sky, but thats about it. But then again, I only shoot wedgies, and telemash shot so my opinion is irrelevant. ;)

Joe the Photog 03-03-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

A bad attempt at a different shot is obviously better.

Except that we always have the posters who come here and start a thread titled "Tried something different" and then come to find out that it's just a bad shot. Train too far away, or a B&W conversion when it's obvious there was no sun. Any time anyone says they were being artsy fartsy, almost without fail I could critigue their shot without looking at it. Not enough light on the train, train is too centered, it's a boring wedgie dressed up as something else.

And by boring wedgie, I don't mean to imply that all wedgies are boring.

bigbassloyd 03-03-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Chase

I'm sad. I didn't even get a f-u text.. :D

You know I'm messing with you. I may upload some wedgies in tribute later..

Loyd L.

Ween 03-03-2011 01:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by trainboysd40 (Post 132404)

Apparently he was Hicks'ing. Remember this jewel you were curious about making the grade (see attachment):

JimThias 03-03-2011 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween (Post 132477)
Apparently he was Hicks'ing. Remember this jewel you were curious about making the grade (see attachment):

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ection/458.jpg