RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Seige of Harpers Ferry (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18291)

TedG 10-16-2019 04:05 PM

Seige of Harpers Ferry

Taking his cue from Jackson, and after a careful location scout (no doubt utilizing maps drawn by Jedediah Hotchkiss), Brig. Gen. Lilly chose Loudoun Heights for his artiller- uh, I mean, camera emplacement.

[photoid=712896]

I'm still wondering how he got his darkroom wagon up the hill in order to process the glass plates.
/Ted

Decapod401 10-23-2019 01:02 PM

Thanks for the props, Ted. I'm still surprised that more people haven't used that vantage point.

Of course I haven't returned myself.

bigbassloyd 10-23-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 195973)
I'm still surprised that more people haven't used that vantage point.

Long walk, no parking, foamers be lazy, you name it. :D

Loyd L.

Grewup on the CW 10-23-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 195973)
Thanks for the props, Ted. I'm still surprised that more people haven't used that vantage point.

Of course I haven't returned myself.

Until your pic, I didnt know such a view point was available. I suspect that after 36 years, the growth of trees and vegetation mostly like has this view quite obscured. Can you provide a pin drop to your pic location or how you got to it? I'll put it on my bucket list, cuz different than the norm is what I'm after. I have tons of shots at the depot but there are a million of them here on RP already.:grin:

bigbassloyd 10-23-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW (Post 195976)
Until your pic, I didnt know such a view point was available. I suspect that after 36 years, the growth of trees and vegetation mostly like has this view quite obscured. Can you provide a pin drop to your pic location or how you got to it? I'll put it on my bucket list, cuz different than the norm is what I'm after. I have tons of shots at the depot but there are a million of them here on RP already.:grin:

Search Loudoun Heights Trail. There's at least 4 vantage points along it that are still open today. You gotta put in some foot effort though.

Loyd L.

Grewup on the CW 10-23-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 195977)
Search Loudoun Heights Trail. There's at least 4 vantage points along it that are still open today. You gotta put in some foot effort though.

Loyd L.

Thanks. I will plan this out and hope that lady luck brings me a train )or 2 or 3 or....)when I do;)

TedG 10-24-2019 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW (Post 195978)
Thanks. I will plan this out and hope that lady luck brings me a train )or 2 or 3 or....)when I do;)

CW,

There's plenty of stuff available on the web, if you search as Loyd suggested. The trail is administered by Harpers Ferry NHP, so if you stop in the visitor center, they may have some materials also.

Do not take an axe with you. Tree removal for sight lines was okay in 1862, but it's highly frowned upon now.

/Ted

loomus78 11-18-2019 05:17 PM

The view today certainly is not as wide as it was back in the Civil War days or even when Doug took this shot. You can still find some good stuff around the Ferry.
Keep in mind, the eastern end of the trail that was used for many years is now closed due to encroachment on private property outside the park boundary. It may still be used with some careful guidance but it officially is no more.