RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Image too Dark (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18274)

Sean Mathews 09-11-2019 02:18 PM

Image too Dark
 
So it was rejected once. I lightened it and it was rejected again.

The shot was challenging. Sun had gone below the horizon. I love the atmosphere and the break in the clouds.

Need some suggestions though. Do I just give up and write this off as a loss, as I don't think lightening anymore will help and will make it way too grainy...

Or, do I just go full dark and try to turn this into a silhouette shot?

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...44&key=9338030

Grewup on the CW 09-11-2019 02:50 PM

What does the original look like? Let us start there.

Joseph Cermak 09-11-2019 02:53 PM

I agree, I'd like to see what you have to work with in the original, as it's already getting on the noisy side in the link you posted.

As a side note, when you put the road number of the loco, include the reporting mark so it would be "BNSF 6727" not just 6727, as that is how the search is set up.

Sean Mathews 09-11-2019 03:01 PM

Ah, thanks for the tip about the reporting mark.

The first version I submitted is here and even that was lightened significantly. When I get back from the office I will post the unedited version as I am able.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...08&key=1361960

Mberry 09-11-2019 03:14 PM

Way too grainey, I would let this one go.

bigbassloyd 09-11-2019 05:07 PM

There's quite a few issues with the version as posted(noise, halos, artifacts, etc). While there may be some more effective editing to be done with the original file, there's no way to fix blurry number boards and the train itself. I wouldn't fiddle with it any further.



Loyd L.

RobJor 09-11-2019 06:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I been thinking the problem I have sometimes is not too dark but not dark enough. Struggling to increase the dynamic range to match what we see rather than just black it out for dramatic effect, actually decrease the dynamic range, seems to work a lot here.
I have attached a TIC 2 minute revision. I also attached a too dark that has been bugging me, plus one I think was just rejected for being a crappy photo. Hey, not too easy to get 4014 rejects?

Bob Jordan

Sean Mathews 09-11-2019 07:36 PM

Yep... as I feared and have thought... there is a lot to like, but not enough to overcome the challenges. It looks great on my iPhone though :) Some photos are railpic photos, some are share with my friends photos. This falls in to the former.

miningcamper1 09-11-2019 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The version I am saving. Faults? I will simply refrain from viewing it at 200%!

Sean Mathews 09-12-2019 04:21 PM

Yeah... I am scrapping this location. Sun is just in the wrong place. Tried again last night. "Nose too dark, Back lit" No kidding... its a silhouette shot (which RP seems to not like). I think today on my last day up here Ill shoot some pan shots across the river. Another photo for "Friends and family only"

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...08&key=9232275

Freericks 09-13-2019 01:49 AM

Don't include the sun, unless the train is directly against the sun. Show the entire train, and get the glint of the dropping sun off the side of the train.

Joseph Cermak 09-13-2019 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 195742)
The version I am saving. Faults? I will simply refrain from viewing it at 200%!

I do like where this edit went, but I don't think the original has the image quality to make this successful.

Sean Mathews 09-17-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak (Post 195745)
I do like where this edit went, but I don't think the original has the image quality to make this successful.

I have come to learn a lot of RP is trial and error. Sometimes things make it through, sometimes they don't. Depends on the screener, time of day, orientation of the planets among other things :)

Sean Mathews 09-17-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 195744)
Don't include the sun, unless the train is directly against the sun. Show the entire train, and get the glint of the dropping sun off the side of the train.

Ive got a few more from this series to include one with the in just peaking above the train and one with it obscured... Ill play around with them and see if one might work...

bigbassloyd 09-17-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Mathews (Post 195757)
I have come to learn a lot of RP is trial and error. Sometimes things make it through, sometimes they don't. Depends on the screener, time of day, orientation of the planets among other things :)

Use a drone and you're basically guaranteed acceptance. Use it even when there's zero benefit to doing so cough cough current TO24 showcasing that sweet unlevel radio tower. Drone your way into RP success and be the envy of all your railfan friends who don't already hate this place and left years ago. :D

Loyd L.

Sean Mathews 09-17-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 195759)
Use a drone and you're basically guaranteed acceptance. Use it even when there's zero benefit to doing so cough cough current TO24 showcasing that sweet unlevel radio tower. Drone your way into RP success and be the envy of all your railfan friends who don't already hate this place and left years ago. :D

Loyd L.

Lol... I was thinking that same thing this morning. That or a photo charter. Signed up for a 611 evening photo shoot. Guaranteed acceptance, lol.

bigbassloyd 09-18-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Mathews (Post 195760)
Signed up for a 611 evening photo shoot. Guaranteed acceptance, lol.

The only caveat is you have to beat the one guy who runs straight here and dumps his memory card. That one guy can vary from charter to charter but he is always there.

Loyd L.

Sean Mathews 09-18-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 195766)
The only caveat is you have to beat the one guy who runs straight here and dumps his memory card. That one guy can vary from charter to charter but he is always there.

Loyd L.

Or you bide your time and wait until he's done, for a few weeks, maybe a month and then BAM. lol


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.