RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Unlevel Horizon (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16168)

Holloran Grade 02-22-2013 07:28 PM

Unlevel Horizon

1 Attachment(s)
Reason(s) for Rejection: - Horizon Unlevel: Try leveling the image in your photo editing software.

Any ideas?

Attachment 7888

There really is no rhyme or reason to this leveling stuff.

For instance, look at the version of this one that was finally accepted.:roll:

[photoid=425813]

Joe the Photog 02-22-2013 07:58 PM

Very slight CW rotation in the rejection. Maybe .25% if thgat. Noticeable haloing around the trees though. As for the accepted version, nothing about it screams unlevel to me. Looks to be on a curved track and the grain hoppers back there at least appear level!

Holloran Grade 02-22-2013 09:06 PM

Eye Roll vs. Egg Roll

Look at the towers for the power lines in the background across the freeway.:lol:

AND - As pointed out by the critics (see comments).

magicman_841 02-22-2013 09:23 PM

The caption on the Cajon shot doesn't seem to fit the image. :confused:

And, yeah it looks like it's leaning to the left... that highway has a steady grade in it, and it's perfectly straight in the photo!

bigbassloyd 02-22-2013 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
.5 degrees and some vertical distortion correction
http://forums.railpictures.net/attac...1&d=1361568341

Loyd L.

Holloran Grade 02-23-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 164193)
.5 degrees and some vertical distortion correction...Loyd L.

Ya, that looks good.

JimThias 02-23-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 164186)
For instance, look at the version of this one that was finally accepted.:roll:

[photoid=425813]

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicman_841 (Post 164192)
The caption on the Cajon shot doesn't seem to fit the image. :confused:

Quote:

The Turn at Alray - An eastbound stack train headed from Los Angeles to Clovis New Mexico waits out the light at Fullerton Junction during a power failure that left the station and many of the surrounding businesses in the dark for approximately 20 minutes.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...aughing002.gif

Holloran Grade 02-23-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 164197)

How odd, that is the explanation for the night shot.

I wonder how that happened?

I will fix it, thanks for pointing it out!

Holloran Grade 02-26-2013 07:12 PM

Accepted

I rotated the image counter clockwise to get the side of the engine hood parallel with the left side, and then used the distortion tool to "pull" the upper right hand corner out until the light pole was parallel with the right side.

Then I adjusted the borders and slightly degrained the sky.

[photoid=426541]

Normally I would have shot this at 200 ISO with a longer exposure time, but there were people walking all around and I wanted the foreground to be clear.

The result is the exposure is only about 7 seconds and the ISO was about 10000 which makes it noisy.

Mitch-

It is common for eastbound freights to stop on the center track at this point to await Amtrak trains coming up from San Diego, or other trains that are being run around it.

However, I have never seen a power outage before at this location.

Additionally, the outage was rather localized since the lights for the parking lot at the other end and the bridge are still on, as are the parking lot lights by the Spaghetti Factory restaurant.

View from the opposite direction:

Spaghetti Factory restaurant is just off to the left side of the frame.

[photoid=420839]

ddavies 03-05-2013 06:39 PM

The problem is not an un-level image. You are probably using a wide-angle lens, which when tilted up a little bit, makes the sides of the image tend to bow in. Screeners have to look at both sides of the image to make sure that one side in not the opposite angle as the other. A slight amount of perspective adjustment will make the building on the right vertical, along with the fence on the left.

Perspective distortion is normal, unless you are using a view camera, and should not be a reason for rejection. :-(

Holloran Grade 03-05-2013 11:39 PM

I was using a Canon 16-35 mm L lens which while being a wide angle, is constructed to limit the amount of distortion at the low end - especially when compared to the 17-40mm L.

There was some twisting with the light pole and when I plumbed the engine hood sides the way they like it, that light pole was pretty crooked.

So, I just pulled it and the others back up by distorting the image on the top right side.

JimThias 03-05-2013 11:45 PM

I'm a little surprised they accepted that with the intense haloing going on around the trees.

Holloran Grade 03-06-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 164456)
I'm a little surprised they accepted that with the intense haloing going on around the trees.

Not sure what is going on there with that, except the air was damp and there is no foreground lighting.

JimThias 03-06-2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 164466)
Not sure what is going on there with that, except the air was damp and there is no foreground lighting.

:lol:

(it's called "bad processing")