RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   First attempt at time exposures (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11086)

nikos1 10-28-2009 02:28 AM

First attempt at time exposures

Hi guys,
I usually dont get out trackside much at night (living in Atlanta it wouldnt be a good idea anyways) so till now i havnt had a chance to try time exposures save for a few streak shots at Folkston. I had thought these two had come out pretty good but they got hit for being too dark. These were shot just before dawn so is it that this is just too close to daylight for them to work? I thought the predawn colors made for some interesting shots.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=745358&key=0

This one i tried panning the units and i think it came out good.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=848751686

Would the darkness problem be with my post processing? Still having a hard time judging things on this laptop. For those of you who edit with a laptop, how do you tilt your screen. For me i tilt it so i can make out distinctions between blacks and dark greys but i wonder if thats making me think that dark pictures are actually lighter.

Chase55671 10-28-2009 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos1 (Post 102007)
This one i tried panning the units and i think it came out good.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=848751686

No, it didn't come out good. Pans/paces require more light than what you had there. Panning something at night is nearly impossible unless you're using a very low aperture and have a very decent ambient light source.

As for the link to your first rejection, it didn't work.

Chase

LSRC Railfan 10-28-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

Pans/paces require more light than what you had there.
Wrong! You can do any pan/pace shots in any kind of light (or lack of light), you just have to be really good, really creative, and really lucky.

It was a decent attempt nikos, but your pan shot just doesn't quite work. Sorry. Your first photo is too dark (underexposed). For that shot to work, it would have to be darker out, and the exposure would have had to be longer.

Decent tries, but neither work. I can relate to the not having the opportunity to shoot at night, too. There's no trains to photograph up here at night.

cblaz 10-28-2009 06:58 AM

Agree with Jim about panning. (Pacing is done from an object moving the same speed as the train.) Pans can be done in any light, you just have to be good at it. Imagine the pans Mitch will get when Lerro Productions perfects their night runby lighting setup. :roll:

Moving on, adding to the issues Chase and Jim raised, the first photo is soft and the second shows an overuse of the Shadow/Highlight tool.

- Chris

dejv 10-28-2009 08:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LSRC Railfan (Post 102021)
Wrong! You can do any pan/pace shots in any kind of light (or lack of light), you just have to be really good, really creative, and really lucky.

My pan training with cell phone - first one is model railroad in pub, second and third ones are streetcars in sodium light. I guess that Mitch with his experience would make excellent shots from these scenes.

Joe the Photog 10-28-2009 05:50 PM

Well, without stating the obvious, but actually stating the obvious, a low light shot still has to meet certain requirements not only for inclusion to RP, but just to be asthetically pleasing. It has to have enough light, it has to be in focus and without a lot of noise and grain. Dusk and dawn shots are the hardest for me to get right. Try actual night time first, which should be easier this time of year.

travsirocz 10-28-2009 06:53 PM

Just some proof.
[photoid=175414]

nikos1 10-29-2009 06:51 AM

Alright well i guess ill keep that advice in mind next time, as Joe said it will be all too easy to get night shots in the upcoming days, looking forward to those 4:30 sunsets.........
As for the pan shot, I resort to pans when there is not enough light for any other sort of shot. Ive tried in daylight, doesnt work for me even if i expose all the way down, i guess you need a ND filter for that.
Is there anyway the first shot (or rather the general lighting of the situation) is salvegable? I have a couple other takes of the scene that i may rework later if im in the mood. Also how does one avoid headlight glare on long exposures, just the low beam in this shot was getting out of hand at 5 seconds.

travsirocz 10-29-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos1 (Post 102125)
As for the pan shot, I resort to pans when there is not enough light for any other sort of shot. Ive tried in daylight, doesnt work for me even if i expose all the way down, i guess you need a ND filter for that.

Full day light, direct sun, you may need a filter. iso 100 1/30th f22 I can usually pull that off in full light.

trainboysd40 10-29-2009 04:48 PM

Andrew, that shot is grainy as all hell and even more cool. It made it to my very short list of favorite photos.

travsirocz 10-29-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainboysd40 (Post 102153)
Andrew, that shot is grainy as all hell and even more cool. It made it to my very short list of favorite photos.

Andrew is not here.

Chase55671 10-29-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travsirocz (Post 102154)
Andrew is not here.

:lol:

Chase

milwman 10-29-2009 09:14 PM

Have to start with something and its a start, You can only get better by trying!

trainboysd40 10-30-2009 05:37 AM

You made me think for a second I got my Blaszczyks mixed up!
He will be here.
He always is.

Dan Tracy 10-31-2009 06:04 AM

Patience

Practice, practice, and practice. You don't achieve instant knowledge and experience overnight. Be patient and practice, it will come to you. Been there done that. Dan