RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Some Pictures of Mine (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10116)

Gear 06-30-2009 08:31 AM

Some Pictures of Mine

Here are some shots I've taken recently. These aren't railroad related, though I thought I'd share them on the OD board.

Nothing professional, but they weren't intended to be.

Feel free to give advice, comments, or nothing at all.

JRMDC 06-30-2009 01:37 PM

Gear, having read your original post and now this, I am not sure if your expectations match up here. RP is about rail photography. One only occasionally sees significant discussions of non-photo rail topics (look in the US and International forums) and even those are sporadic. One doesn't generally see discussions of non-rail photography. It is a pretty narrow focus here, with the occasional deviation.

So I wonder if your interests would be better served in a general photography forum, maybe fredmiranda. Maybe even certain forums in DPreview. Probably bunches of others; I am not familiar with the range of photography forums on the 'net. And maybe some general discussion rail forums.

Now, given that, a forum becomes what its participants make of it. Up to you what you do and up to others what they do. I'm not policing, I am just pointing out, in a friendly way I hope, something you may not have figured out yet.

trainboysd40 06-30-2009 05:15 PM

Do you want constructive criticism on those photos?

Gear 06-30-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 93375)
One doesn't generally see discussions of non-rail photography. It is a pretty narrow focus here, with the occasional deviation.

Oh, I've misunderstood. I was under the assumption that non-rail associated photos could be put up on Open Discussion board (after all, it is "off topic"). No worries, and no offense taken. I do intend on getting some railroad pictures up at some point (where I now live, it's a bit more of an excursion than it used to be in my old home town).

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainboysd40
Do you want constructive criticism on those photos?

Well, that is how one builds.

JRMDC 06-30-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gear (Post 93407)
Oh, I've misunderstood. I was under the assumption that non-rail associated photos could be put up on Open Discussion board (after all, it is "off topic"). No worries, and no offense taken. I do intend on getting some railroad pictures up at some point (where I now live, it's a bit more of an excursion than it used to be in my old home town).

I'd say you haven't misunderstood, rather you have misread. :) I didn't say anything about what you can or can't do. I've only said something about what might transpire, and what other options are to get what you might be looking for. I was sharing experience. Make whatever posts you want.

trainboysd40 07-01-2009 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gear (Post 93407)

Well, that is how one builds.

I'm always happy to give a good critiquing if someone asks. though I might come across as a bit harsh...
Your first picture isn't overly interesting subject or composition wise, it's too top heavy to start out with. It's also pretty blurry. Good idea trying to get an interesting angle on it, though.
Second and third are overdone to the point where you can't tell what it's a photo of.
Third...it's a grainy cat.
Anyways, GET OUT AND SHOOT! You need to take pictures of interesting things ;)

Gear 07-16-2009 11:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by trainboysd40
I'm always happy to give a good critiquing if someone asks. though I might come across as a bit harsh...

'Constructive criticism', what I think of--among other things--as 'critiquing', has yet to offend me as there's a difference between it and a deliberate insult.

Okay, unconventional around this forum, but here are a few more...

EMTRailfan 07-17-2009 12:47 AM

I like 1 and 3. 2 doesn't do much for me.

Criticising:
1-Oops, cut the top of the gas pump.

2-see above

3-I like it, but the tilt is odd.

4-PLEASE use smaller photos or use the RP attachment option. I agree with Jim T. that having to pan the screen to see your whole photo(s) is a PITA.

Gear 07-17-2009 01:19 AM

Thanks, for the positive and negative.

I feel the same about #2. I like the colors and dimensions of the clouds, but there isn't much of a hook to it. I liked it enough to post it, but I did so mostly to add some variation from my (so far) all B&W collection.

#1 wasn't cropped, that happened 'in the field'. Though it doesn't bother me, plus you get more of the weeds sprouting up from the abandoned shop drive.

After I saw #3, I uselessly debated with myself whether or not I should've leveled the shot a little more but not too much or else it would've been boring. I like the different angles it has, especially with the wires.

jdirelan87 07-17-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 93375)
Gear, having read your original post and now this, I am not sure if your expectations match up here. RP is about rail photography. One only occasionally sees significant discussions of non-photo rail topics (look in the US and International forums) and even those are sporadic. One doesn't generally see discussions of non-rail photography. It is a pretty narrow focus here, with the occasional deviation.

So I wonder if your interests would be better served in a general photography forum, maybe fredmiranda. Maybe even certain forums in DPreview. Probably bunches of others; I am not familiar with the range of photography forums on the 'net. And maybe some general discussion rail forums.

Now, given that, a forum becomes what its participants make of it. Up to you what you do and up to others what they do. I'm not policing, I am just pointing out, in a friendly way I hope, something you may not have figured out yet.

(mandatory 10 character minimum)

Gear 09-22-2009 11:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
"What else could I say? All my words are ghey"

chuckman 10-02-2009 10:28 PM

Best of luck getting some railroad photos! Also some advice regarding photogrphy of plants-shoot them backlit so detail casts interesting shadows. this is how all of my best flower pics come out! Good photos...the one with the tele wires and the sky kinda bugs me though...a step would be to get rid of the stuff in the bottom of the picture and do a B+W conversion. I must say though that if you want real advice a forum for railroad photographers isn't the best place but I hope that you won't be continually hounded about this with all that has been said.