RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Help with Composition (and anything else) (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17847)

GoDogGo 12-21-2016 07:52 PM

Help with Composition (and anything else)

3 Attachment(s)
The first two pics (Trolley & Trolley 2.0) were rejected for composition; I changed the composition to move the trolley more to the left in the second picture (2.0) but received the same rejection. For reference, I have attached the full picture as well. Any thoughts on fixing the composition and whether this photo has any realistic hope of acceptance would be greatly appreciated.

JimThias 12-21-2016 08:51 PM

Not a bad scene, and your exposure is very good, but I think you're doomed with the foreground obstructions. The Toyota on the right and the short yellow poles (?) near the back of the trolley aren't doing you any favors. With a clearer view of the trolley, this might have been a winner.

miningcamper1 12-21-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoDogGo (Post 190135)
The first two pics (Trolley & Trolley 2.0) were rejected for composition; I changed the composition to move the trolley more to the left in the second picture (2.0) but received the same rejection. For reference, I have attached the full picture as well. Any thoughts on fixing the composition and whether this photo has any realistic hope of acceptance would be greatly appreciated.

It's a nice scene, but I think the obstructing taxi will be a problem no matter how you crop it. Any chance of re-shooting this?

GoDogGo 12-21-2016 09:02 PM

Ah, I hoped for a different answer, but y'all told me what I had started to figure out in my slow way--the poles are what I saw as primarily being the problem. I probably can shoot it next time we go to a game, but I certainly don't have anything else from this series that will work. I suspect getting an unobstructed photo due to traffic and people crossing probably will be difficult at any time, but next time I'll have a chance to prepare for it more so maybe I can make it work then. Too bad, though--the train crossing above it made for a nice shot, which is why I was motivated to do what I could with the photo. Thanks for the comments regarding what did work about the shot, too--that helps me a lot.

JimThias 12-21-2016 09:27 PM

Ha! I hadn't even noticed the train. Now that you mention it, it does add a nice subtle touch. Damn it for taxis and poles!

GoDogGo 12-21-2016 09:31 PM

You know, Jim, that's funny because I didn't notice the train when I took the shot and actually didn't notice it until later in the processing. Now, it frustrates me that I've missed the shot I didn't know I had. Arggghhh!

RobJor 12-21-2016 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I remember one from ??, so much stuff you could only see parts of the the Trolley, it was really a street scene with street car parts somewhere.

Obstruction can work pretty well, not sure of yours, but

[photoid=548438]

Bob

Guess I am not so observant, had to look for the yellow poles??? what I don't like are random parts of autos in photo

JRMDC 12-22-2016 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobJor (Post 190144)
I remember one from ??, so much stuff you could only see parts of the the Trolley, it was really a street scene with street car parts somewhere.

Obstruction can work pretty well, not sure of yours, but

[photoid=548438]

Bob

Guess I am not so observant, had to look for the yellow poles??? what I don't like are random parts of autos in photo

Belmont's shot is a composition - note the diagonal lineup of 4 commuting vehicles, two bikes, a car, and a trolley, all facing the camera in a pleasing diagonal line, a street scene with structure. By contrast the shot in question is more of a grab shot.

GoDogGo 12-22-2016 10:14 AM

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments and points. I will move on from this one. :(