RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photo Processing Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Good compact tripod? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15394)

nikos1 05-12-2012 10:42 PM

Good compact tripod?
 
Can anyone here recommend a good compact tripod that I can carry in a average backpack? I will be in Europe this summer and my current tripod will not fit in my bag making it rather cumbersome to take along when not travelling by car.
Thanks,
-Nikos

lalam 05-14-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos1 (Post 155598)
Can anyone here recommend a good compact tripod that I can carry in a average backpack?
-Nikos

I sometimes use one as shown in this link.
But I am afraid it is just suitable for my camera below 1Kg. weight.

Mgoldman 05-14-2012 06:30 PM

Here's an idea - a bean bag "tripod". Haven't tried it myself, though it's gotta beat using a jacket:
http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Adjusta...7016351&sr=8-2

I picked up a Tiltall Traveler - seemed ideal for what you are looking for. I thought they were phasing them out at $99.99 but seems they are back at 159.95. Only issue - the lock on the neck stripped the 2nd time I used it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tiltall-Sectio...7016516&sr=1-9

/Mitch

nikos1 05-15-2012 04:22 AM

Bean bag tripod....that seems like a expensive way to improvise!
I've had to balance the camera on a bag, wallet, various things before, rather annoying and you look like an idiot doing that in the middle of a station lol.
The second one looks good but way out of my pricerange, had a bit of a change of plans so now about 600 dollars of my budget is going to towards driving trains at Wolsyztn...8)
I plan on getting one of those small flexi tripods to attach the video camera to door windows and such for shooting video from inside trains, this is the only thing I've found in my pricerange that looks decent.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VCT-R640-...859096&sr=1-43

JimThias 05-15-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos1 (Post 155662)
I've had to balance the camera on a bag, wallet, various things before, rather annoying and you look like an idiot doing that in the middle of a station lol.

I plan on getting one of those small flexi tripods to attach the video camera to door windows and such for shooting video from inside trains,

Have you considered a Gorillapod? I don't have one yet, but these are pretty awesome:

http://professionalsnapshots.com/blo...pod-family.jpg

http://www.smashandpeas.com/wp-conte...llapod-014.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/prod...a_pod_slr2.jpg

Mr. Pick 05-16-2012 03:02 AM

I have this little table top guy and have been very happy with it. Very well made, sturdy, and very stable with my 60D and most any lens. The ball head is well made.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...op_Tripod.html

Mgoldman 05-16-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 155649)
I picked up a Tiltall Traveler - seemed ideal for what you are looking for. I thought they were phasing them out at $99.99 but seems they are back at 159.95. Only issue - the lock on the neck stripped the 2nd time I used it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tiltall-Sectio...7016516&sr=1-9

/Mitch

Fixed the tripod today! Cut the insert which allowed the neck to slide lower on the thread where it was still good. : )
(I could've sworn this was an edit to my original post and not a new comment....).
/Mitch

nikos1 05-16-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 155665)

Yup, Im planning on getting one of those for shooting video from inside trains and such but need something a little more substantial for most other occasions.

Mgoldman 05-16-2012 06:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 155665)
Have you considered a Gorillapod? I don't have one yet, but these are pretty awesome:

http://professionalsnapshots.com/blo...pod-family.jpg

Ever have the feeling you are being watched?
Attachment 7461

/Mitch

Mgoldman 05-16-2012 06:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Jim Thias - this one's for you!

Lol!!!!!

Attachment 7462

/Mitch

Mgoldman 05-16-2012 06:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow - just like RP, it's harder to get a dog on, but possible...

Attachment 7463

Attachment 7464

/Mitch

Mgoldman 05-16-2012 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jackpot!!!!

POTW material here! How can I make this eligible for a PC?

Attachment 7465

/Mitch

JimThias 05-16-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 155704)
Hey Jim Thias - this one's for you!

Lol!!!!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...es/roflmao.gif

Mgoldman 05-17-2012 06:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 155712)

Welcome to the Dark Side:
(I kid you not - no cut and paste here)

Attachment 7471

/Mitch

JimThias 05-17-2012 01:19 PM

NO WAY! :lol:

milwman 05-25-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos1 (Post 155598)
Can anyone here recommend a good compact tripod that I can carry in a average backpack? I will be in Europe this summer and my current tripod will not fit in my bag making it rather cumbersome to take along when not travelling by car.
Thanks,
-Nikos

How long of one will fit inside 20" 22" ? or less

Dennis A. Livesey 05-25-2012 08:46 PM

Currently it seems to me the best travel tripods are carbon fiber and fold over themselves, i.e. the legs fold over the head so they can fold as small as possible. Find the best combination of this at the price you can afford.

3 Legged Thing tripods do this really well but mucho dinero.

The Sirui T-025 folds to just 11.8", the max height goes to 54" and it weighs just 1.8 lb. For what it does, it's not too expensive.

Manfrotto, Smith-Victor, Vanguard and all good companies for tripods as well.

Mark Gayman 05-25-2012 10:48 PM

Here's one that boasts a super lightweight design and 5-seconds to set up:

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/folding-tripod/

I do not have one of these so I cannot provide a first-person review.

That page says it is also known as the Zipshot made by Tamrac.

Mgoldman 05-26-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gayman (Post 156013)
Here's one that boasts a super lightweight design and 5-seconds to set up:

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/folding-tripod/

I do not have one of these so I cannot provide a first-person review.

That page says it is also known as the Zipshot made by Tamrac.

Does it come with a whisk and dust pan to pick up the broken pieces of glass after you use it?

I don't know that I'd trust a DSLR - maybe a pocket camera.

/Mitch

Mark Gayman 05-26-2012 04:06 AM

Good point. A Tamrac video says it's good for up to three pounds. Perhaps lightweight is a double entendre ;-)

milwman 05-27-2012 11:23 AM

This maybe the best tripod ever. For your $490 you will likely never need to buy a new one or out grow it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...on_Carbon.html

Dennis A. Livesey 05-27-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milwman (Post 156057)
This maybe the best tripod ever. For your $490 you will likely never need to buy a new one or out grow it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...on_Carbon.html

That's the one I was thinking of too.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.