RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A Bad Motive to Ponder (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4495)

Slopes09 11-18-2006 12:39 AM

A Bad Motive to Ponder
Ok, I need thoughts on this bad motive, i.e., more specifically as to why it is one. I was once again trying to capture the more human side of railroading, and the appearance of this worker seemed like a perfect photo op. Where did I go wrong?

Bill 11-18-2006 01:18 AM

Couple thoughts...the train is really hidden on this one, can't make out any train detail other than the bright light, plus the worker isn't really doing anything railroad-related. I'd also crop tighter...you have a lot of sky...I'd crop from the top & from the right (to near that 65/60 sign).

Good luck.

JRMDC 11-18-2006 01:25 AM

Well, I will try not to be too harsh, but basically, you didn't capture that much of a moment in my view. The worker is very small, and the action being depicted, crossing the tracks, is rather common and not unique to railroad work. The train in the background is essentially nonexistent; I did not notice it until I read the remark. There is a lot of open space in the picture - not just the sky, which takes 1/3 of the total, but other empty spaces. It doesn't help that the worker is heading left, as one's eye looks toward where he is going it is drawn away from the other elements in the scene.

You could try cropping on the worker and milepost/signal box, but to my tastes it still would not say "railroad" that strongly.

Looks like a nice location, rich with possibilities.

Hope this is helpful, that is my intent.

JRMDC 11-18-2006 01:26 AM

I appear to be channeling Bill (I didn't see his post before writing mine). :)

Switched out 11-18-2006 01:41 AM

Your shot just depicts someone walking across the tracks It's a bit hard to tell that he is actually a railway worker. Have a look at the following shots from the database.
One of my all time favorite worker shots and this one below

In both photos it is easy to work out that they are railway workers engaged in doing there job. Keep this in mind the next time you are out with the camera and see what you can come up with.

photogeek88 11-18-2006 03:03 PM

I agree, it really is all about timing. I've always found that going in close on the workers seems to make these types of shots work, rather than staying zoomed far out and letting them get lost in the larger railroad world. And definitely go for them doing an action one doesn't often see. Don't just catch them walking around. Another example:
Thank you for the comment Christine!

Slopes09 11-19-2006 12:37 AM

<P>Alright, thanks guys. I understand why it got the bad motive rejection now. "It all makes sense now..." :lol:</P><P>Also, just a note, I wasn't trying to make the train the subject in the work at all, but was just supposed to be something interesting to add to the photo.</P>