RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Railfanning is........ (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=863)

Aaron 08-05-2004 06:58 PM

Railfanning is........

What does railfanning mean to you? How do you railfan, do you sit in a lawn chair by the tracks, or chase them down at a 100MPH on the highway? What do you bring with you when railfanning? Simply asked, "RAILFANNING IS...(you fill in the blank)

oltmannd 08-06-2004 06:15 PM

It's going a bit out of my way on errands to see if the signal at Gloster has been cleared. (and then hanging around for a while to watch the train go by)

Aaron 08-06-2004 11:01 PM

Today I was out at CN Newtonville and railfanning was quite relaxing. Grabbed the scanner the camera the lawnchair and sat on the double wood bridge (CP & CN run beside each other in newtonville and on nichols rd there is a double bridge, one for each railraod). Railfanning was just a quite time outside. Then a group of railfans came and railfanning was a social event for them, I'd have to say it was a good time with these new found rail friends.

cmherndon 08-07-2004 03:31 AM

To a few central Kentucky railfans, including myself, railfanning is a....

Deathmarch - An expedition which sometimes exceeds 24 hours, with no sleep and little food, all in the pursuit of early morning and late night photos that the GERF's, buffs and WGRF's are too lame to get, and usually leads to the phrase "This is stupid" more than once during a trip.

Aaron 08-07-2004 03:46 AM

Hey Caleb,

Watch what you say, I think I fall under the WGRF catagory! :lol:

Ween 08-07-2004 05:45 AM

Quote:

RAILFANNING IS...
Relaxing.

It's nice to get trackside and just enjoy being outside. The quiet is nice, but too much quiet is bad (read: no trains going by). I usually have a bottle of water, yellow foam hearing protection, and a set of extra batteries. If it's super hot, I'll stay in my car and listen to talk radio. Or AC/DC. Either way, it's all good!

Warren 08-07-2004 08:25 PM

I love the smell of creosote in the morning, it smells like victory! :D
It really is a nice relaxing hobby. During my endeavors to get a shot I get to see all kinds of wildlife and and enjoy plenty of quiet R&R. I like the chair and ear protection idea! erm what did you say? :lol:

iheartfreights 08-07-2004 09:17 PM

cmherndon 08-08-2004 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron
Hey Caleb,

Watch what you say, I think I fall under the WGRF catagory! :lol:

Well, I don't know you so I can't be the judge of that. We did run into a few WGRF's today. Guys who shot into the sun (no joke) and then whined about their photos being rejected off of here. Go figure. I'd say as long as you don't act like a know-it-all type person, you wouldn't fall under that category.

Aaron 08-08-2004 08:40 AM

Caleb,

Well I fall under the WGRF to an extent. I will take a shot into the sun depending on the power. If I see a "bluebird" on CP I am going to be taking that photo, and I am not too worried about how it turns out. My little rule of thumb is to take pictures for myself, and screw what other people think. If a picture is good then I am going to send it to RP. I always take roster shots, since I am into getting photos of all the units. So my pictures are for me, and if they turn out nice then send them away for RP. Some rejections I have been disapointed about but you know what, who cares ( a hard lesson learnt ) but honestly, I am taking the photos for my own purposes. I am a WGRF and damn proud of it! Also just like to mention, I love night shots. I personally think that they are the best photos (except for scenic shots during the fall and winter months)

E.M. Bell 08-08-2004 02:48 PM

Railfanning is...

Spending the day on the CNO&TP with so many trains you dont have time to stop for 5 hours, bagging lots of EMD's, then lunch and a hot fudge sunday at a local dairy pimp....followed by a nap in the truck under a shade tree while waiting for the next round to start.....

E.M. Bell 08-08-2004 02:59 PM

oh yea..i almost forget...

"and spending the rest of the day trapped in the truck with Caleb AFTER said Double bacon cheesburger fries and hot fudge sunday lunch...somehting your sinus will never forget"

:roll:

cmherndon 08-08-2004 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kd4jsl
oh yea..i almost forget...

"and spending the rest of the day trapped in the truck with Caleb AFTER said Double bacon cheesburger fries and hot fudge sunday lunch...somehting your sinus will never forget"

:roll:

Or being trapped in the truck with you after lunch at the Krystal in Danville. That's a little worse than the local Dairy Pimp. :lol:

Aaron 08-08-2004 09:20 PM

railfanning is sitting out watching CP and getting this...
http://www.viatrain.net/1019.jpg
You dont often see these on CP and I know this picture is not RP quality (hence why it got rejected) but I still say it is pretty cool!

cmherndon 08-10-2004 05:04 AM

A new one...

Railfanning is going out early in the morning to shoot an officer's special, only to find out that it's not running that day, so four hours are spent watching MoW replace ties (A very interesting operation though).

StL-rail 08-10-2004 08:14 AM

Railfanning is . . .

Relaxing, and exciting. I love to go out and find new spots to shoot from, I am always meeting new people, and having loads of fun. I just have to remember to be home in time for dinner. :(

Aaron 08-10-2004 03:50 PM

Or at least bring dinner with you!

canadianrailfan 08-15-2005 09:13 AM

All I can say is, if I didn't have Railfanning, I would go completely Insane. :D

4kV 08-15-2005 11:32 AM

Railfanning is............... expensive as hell nowadays with gas being so high.

ssw9662 08-15-2005 01:25 PM

For me railfanning is going out to my local railfan spot with a camera, scanner, tripod, and film, and letting the trains come to me (Though sometimes I will chase trains). :)

trainmonster 08-16-2005 09:43 PM

Railfanning is... (because I like to drive about as much as having a case of dysentary and it SUCKS in Pa.) ...trying to control the urge to jump out of the car and choke the living shit out of some asshole that desperately needs it. Not to mention that the towns must be in a conspiracy with the local front-end shop.

The rewards come after I see the pics on the computer. But, no, the physical act of getting those pics... not really fun.

Rich

mtrails 08-17-2005 12:54 AM

Watch the language!

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainmonster
Railfanning is... (because I like to drive about as much as having a case of dysentary and it SUCKS in Pa.) ...trying to control the urge to jump out of the car and choke the daylights out of some jerk that desperately needs it. Not to mention that the towns must be in a conspiracy with the local front-end shop.

The rewards come after I see the pics on the computer. But, no, the physical act of getting those pics... not really fun.

Rich

See corrected words in above quote. Remember, there are teens on this site.

BNSF_SD40-2B 08-17-2005 01:04 AM

Quote:

See corrected words in above quote. Remember, there are teens on this site.
So you're saying "we teens" can't handle the language....... :wink:

Pat Lorenz 08-17-2005 03:05 AM

Too me its just getting out and enjoying the elements that make the area i live in wonderful. Great desert landscapes, open land, great sunsets and a rail line that is full of potental. I love going out early in the morning with my camera stuff, triopd and scanner and making a trip where ever i feel going. Getting there and just letting the trains come to me, if its good, sure i will chase it to the next good spot. Railfanning is just relaxing time.

John J. Poshepny 08-18-2005 04:41 AM

Railfanning is relaxing, Getting out of the house.