RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How many different railroads do you have on RP? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13402)

jdirelan87 01-21-2011 05:24 AM

How many different railroads do you have on RP?

Just a question that came to mind while looking through photo stats. Obviously people who are more into shortlines are going to have a higher number. I'm not one for shooting steam or shots of ruins or what not, so I spilt them into two stats:

1) Current (or current at the time I shot them) operating railroads earning profit to include heavy commuter rail and and Amtrak.

2) everything else to include museum pieces (ie, all steam, tourist lines), non museum engines painted and numbered for railroads defunct at the time I shot them (ie, dead line shots), leasing companies and odd balls (to include light rail, industrial short lines, monorails).

Not counting museums/defunct railroads/leasing companies/odd balls: 43
Counting museums/defunct/leasing companies/odd balls: 58

On top of that, I would say I've shot another 20 or so roads that I haven't uploaded shots of.

KevinM 01-21-2011 12:26 PM

I'll probably be just the opposite of most people. Aside from a couple of odd-balls like Amtrak :-), I pretty much shoot only preserved steam engines. Diesels just don't have much appeal to me. Although there are a couple of park engines and restoration projects among the 556 photos, the vast majority are live, running steam engines.

I count 47 railroads among them. I am hoping to add several more this year.

Greg P 01-21-2011 02:56 PM

I was just thinking about this. I have 4/5 Class 1 railroads or 5/6 if you count Pan Am as a class 1. I've never been in Union Pacific territory long enough to get a good picture of them.

I mostly shoot class 1's and commuter.

stlgevo51 01-21-2011 03:17 PM

I counted 8 different operating railroads (including Ferromex).
I counted 14 preservation railroads, of which most are fallen flags, one is a leasing company, and one is Loram.
I'm not old enough to have any oldie shots, so that kind of hurts my number.

coborn35 01-21-2011 04:11 PM

Loram and LLPX are not railroads. Different paint schemes yes.

crazytiger 01-21-2011 04:30 PM

The RRs in my 30 shots.

Current Freight Class I's:
Norfolk Southern
BNSF Railway
CSX Transportation

Current Passenger Class I's:
Amtrak

Current Commuter:
Metra

Former Class I's (Seen at Museums):
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe
Louisville & Nashville

Other:
Johnson Railway Service

stlgevo51 01-21-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coborn35
Loram and LLPX are not railroads. Different paint schemes yes.

Well they fit in the railroads category more than the museum category, so I stuck them in.

coborn35 01-21-2011 05:15 PM

2) everything else to include museum pieces (ie, all steam, tourist lines), non museum engines painted and numbered for railroads defunct at the time I shot them (ie, dead line shots), leasing companies and odd balls (to include light rail, industrial short lines, monorails).

JRMDC 01-21-2011 05:39 PM

I would say categorize leasers according to the railroad they were leased to at the time. I guess as a practical matter, the railroad they were on when photographed.

Now, run-through power, that is another story. For example, my only UP shot on RP is from Maryland, how does that count? I count it below, CP same thing.

And how about old schemes? Is CR blue on NS a CR or a NS? I could as NS.

My (modest) counts:

Current operating: 27, I am very surprised there are so many. This uses RP categorization, so Amtrak California counts as a separate RR. I don't do much with NS but I am still surprised that my only shot is in CR paint.

Everything else: 3, counting all Strasburg as one (Strasburg, CP, and NW paint schemes), counting all Western Maryland Scenic as one (WMSR and a WM caboose).

EMTRailfan 01-21-2011 07:01 PM

Counting actual RR and not run through power:

17 RRs
a handful of museum pieces
1 new build roster shot, loco is unassigned to a RR

Watain 01-21-2011 07:30 PM

Just CSX, Norfolk Southern, BNSF. :cry:

bigbassloyd 01-21-2011 10:59 PM

1. - 5 (Amtrak, CSXT, Canadian National, Union Pacific, RJ Corman
2. - 3 (Harsco, Loram, N&W)

Loyd L.

John Ryan 01-22-2011 03:11 AM

117 railroads, both tourist and common carrier. If I were to upload some more shots, I could probably put that around 400.

Flowing 01-22-2011 03:52 AM

Class Is / Mainline Passenger Operations (incl. AMTK): 10

Shortlines / Regionals: 27

Fallen Flags / Tourist Roads / Museum Operations: 25

Leasing / Industrial / Other: 17

TOTAL = 79

Bob Pickering 01-22-2011 01:04 PM

Oh my I gotta think on this one...

I think I got all the class ones, outside of maybe CN
Quite a few of the FEC of course that is my local road, plus Florida Central.
UK Freght & Pax, - Got some EWS, Freightliner, Eurostar South Central Trains FGW and Midland
Pax Trains - Amtrak, Tri Rail, Metro Dade Trainsit Authority, TECO Trolley, MBTA, WDW Monorail, Washington Metro, Metro North, LIRR, CDOT, MARC,
I am sure there are a few others I missed.

Paolo Roffo 01-22-2011 02:12 PM

Counting oonly operating railroads, disregarding run-through power:

Class I - 3
Shortline/Regional - 25 (I like shortlines)
Tourist - 20 (didn't think there'd be quite that many)
Passenger - 4
Industrial/Other - 4

For a total of 56.