RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I'm curious (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10834)

sd9 09-28-2009 11:56 PM

I'm curious

I know curiosity kills cats, but I'm curious about the current "top past 24 hour shot", I'm not trying to be the train cop or trying to get a pic rejected but...... not long ago there were a few shots rejected of a derailment, because as stated by Mr. Kilroy,
"Whether you had permission to be there or not, the fact that both of these shots look like you were just about underneath (if not actually underneath) a rail car that's barely still on the rail is the reason they were rejected. This is not the sort of thing we want to encourage amongst our viewership."
and one more from Mr Kilroy;
Just to be clear, the tunnel shot was hit with PEQ because of the fact that you were standing on the tracks. In cases where a photographer was obviously trespassing, we'll use the PEQ rejection reason.

I agree, and with all the other posts about trespassing, not to mention FRA laws regarding this, so why is this one OK?? I like the idea but isn't this crossing the line?:shock:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=298636

Bill

milwman 09-28-2009 11:59 PM

Killroy wasn't screening ?

bigbassloyd 09-29-2009 12:14 AM

Nothing against Travis, but this type of shot should be the gold standard of PEQ for trespassing. I guess you could argue that the camera was 'thrown' onto the track, and retrieved with an attached string while standing off the companies property. :D

Loyd L.

Walter S 09-29-2009 12:29 AM

I like the idea, but I dont think it was done in the best of places. Its really doesnt do much for me.

I dont think that this image should have been accepted due to the same reasons as Bill stated above. He was obviously trespassing, unless he contracted a bear, deer or bird to do it.

WKUrailfan 09-29-2009 12:29 AM

If only one were allowed to cross the train tracks somehow. They should invent grade crossings so you could do this legally...what, they already did? Nevermind!

Joe the Photog 09-29-2009 01:12 AM

It could very well have been done at a grade crossing. Travis could have mentioned this one way or the other. But I have to wonder if there is any law, real or implied, about what you can do at a grade crossing. For example, you can obviously cross the tracks at a grade crossing. But you can't set up a picnic and stay a while. What Travis did was probably somewhere in the middle, legals, perhaps (or not) but probably not following the spirit of the law.

And that's *if* this was at a grade crossing. In the picture, you can see the flashing lights behind the train. That at least iplies that he was not technically at the crossing or that there was another crossing really, really close by.

bigbassloyd 09-29-2009 01:17 AM

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to place anything within the gauge, regardless of location. What if the engineer saw the black object in the gauge, and figured it to be something dangerous?

Here in WV, it's also illegal to use a railroad crossing for any purpose other than to directly cross the tracks without stopping (vehicle and person). I would venture to guess that's a law most states would want to have on the books.

This type of shot should be limited to tourist type lines, with the full cooperation of the employees / volunteers of that line.

Loyd L.

travsirocz 09-29-2009 01:37 AM

What if I had permission from someone that may not want to be mentioned?

I waited all day for this post to be started.

bigbassloyd 09-29-2009 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travsirocz (Post 99948)

May not want to be mentioned because they are not authorized to grant that type of permission? ;)

I'll give you permission to come onto my property and chop down the power poles on it. Think that'll turn out ok? :D

Loyd L.

trainmaster_1 09-29-2009 01:50 AM

Quote:

Your grabbing some unwanted attention from you know who, so I'd rather suggest you not say another word even if you did have permission Travis, just a word of warning. Excellent shot btw.

nikos1 09-29-2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Does it matter? I had permission to stand next to derailed cars but that doesn't change the fact that it "is not the sort of thing we want to encourage amongst our viewership" I saw this shot and thought the same thing as the OP but wasnt going to waste time making a thread, but since its here i might as well share my -0.02 cents.

sd9 09-29-2009 01:58 AM

Quote:

I think your missing the point,

bigbassloyd 09-29-2009 02:00 AM

let's hope some future Darwin award winner doesn't try this minus the release :D

Loyd L.

Walter S 09-29-2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 99953)
let's hope some future Darwin award winner doesn't try this minus the release :D

Loyd L.

Wait??? Your supposed to use a release, I was just going to lay down and pray. Thanks Loyd!

Freericks 09-29-2009 02:31 AM

1) It's a very cool picture.

2) Travis, you have officially forfeited your right to own a 40D. Please wrap said camera in bubble wrap immediately and ship to my home address for disposition.

Ween 09-29-2009 02:32 AM

Fire.

Fuel:
http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=353

jnohallman 09-29-2009 02:53 AM

At the risk of beating a dead horse (cue Jim Thias and his wonderful smily collection!), this is just another example of the frustrating inconsitency that we posters to this site have to deal with. You can now add "trespassing is wrong - except when it's not" to the list along with:

Backlit is bad except when it's not.
Cloudy day/common power is bad, except when it's not.
High sun is bad, except when it's not.
Digital manipulation is bad, except when it's not.

You get the picture. Now, I fully understand that the administrators of the site have the right to make whatever decisions they see fit as far as what does or doesn't end up in the DB. But with all due respect to them, and to Travis, who claims to have had permisssion, this image is just crying out to be copied by some idiot who won't pay attention to what's going on around them, and won't have permission. And, as Loyd mentioned, putting something in the gauge is asking for trouble without the other issues involved - who here really wants to be responsible for a train being put into emergency?

At the very least, if this photo was permitted because there was permission, there should be a very public disclaimer of that fact on the photo itself.

Jon

MDH 09-29-2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainmaster_1 (Post 99950)
Your grabbing some unwanted attention from you know who, so I'd rather suggest you not say another word even if you did have permission Travis, just a word of warning. Excellent shot btw.

Yeah... that person-whom-we-don't-mention-by-name-'round-here claims to have reported you to the BNSF authorities for trespassing, etc...

I'll be curious to know if anything comes of that.

jnohallman 09-29-2009 02:56 AM

And another thing. Travis said he used a cable release? Now we're talking about more than just placing the camera in the gauge. We're talking about taking the time to clear ballast or something to run the cable under the track so it wouldn't get severed. That's a lot of time to be fiddling around on the railroad's property . . . :shock:

Jon

JimThias 09-29-2009 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnohallman (Post 99958)
At the risk of beating a dead horse (cue Jim Thias and his wonderful smily collection!),

You rang?

http://bestsmileys.com/oneofakind/1.gif

:lol:

jnohallman 09-29-2009 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 99961)

Thanks for not disappointing me!!!! :-D

Jon

Joe the Photog 09-29-2009 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnohallman (Post 99960)
And another thing. Travis said he used a cable release?

I've been known to refer to my wireless remote as a cable release.

trainmaster_1 09-29-2009 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDH (Post 99959)
Yeah... that person-whom-we-don't-mention-by-name-'round-here claims to have reported you to the BNSF authorities for trespassing, etc...

I'll be curious to know if anything comes of that.

I don't care what he says, I'd be more worried about BNSF coming into the picture.

Diamond D 09-29-2009 03:48 AM

If permission is granted, then more power to you. I hope others would be very hesitant to do it without permission though... of course it would probably go just fine like this shot, but I wouldn't be comfortable leaving something in the gauge, and I would imagine the crew of an oncoming train might not be so excited to see something unusual in the middle of the tracks pointed up at them either.

As for this image specifically, light is a bit dull and the sides are a little empty for my taste, but perfectly timed! I am impressed!

mark woody 09-29-2009 04:19 AM

Seems like another nail in the coffin for rail photography over there justifying the chant of the leos.NO TRESPASSING OR PHOTOGRAPHING TRAINS.