RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Horizon unlevel (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18091)

MassArt Images 04-27-2018 01:04 AM

Horizon unlevel
 
I am not seeing it. What is the screener referencing??

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...14&key=9217076

bbrant 04-27-2018 01:25 AM

It looks like the largest stack is leaning a tad bit to the right. I'm guessing that's what it's being dinged for.

Joseph Cermak 04-27-2018 04:19 AM

It looks to me like the stacks are leaning left if anything...hmm

SAR Connecta 04-27-2018 05:04 AM

Leaning right a bit. Maybe .5 CCW?

miningcamper1 04-27-2018 05:59 AM

:roll: No, yes, and no. Leaning ever-so-slightly nit-pickingly left.

miningcamper1 04-27-2018 06:01 AM

BTW, what ails the PC Heritage unit? Looks like the paint is coming off!

MassArt Images 04-27-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193966)
:roll: No, yes, and no. Leaning ever-so-slightly nit-pickingly left.

But,but that's not what the screener said. "Horizon Unlevel (Leaning Right): The horizon of the image is leaning to the right, and needs to be corrected with counterclockwise rotation." :confused:

Decapod401 04-27-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassArt Images (Post 193970)
But,but that's not what the screener said. "Horizon Unlevel (Leaning Right): The horizon of the image is leaning to the right, and needs to be corrected with counterclockwise rotation." :confused:

If you don't see it, cite the vertical references that you used and appeal. Did you do any vertical distortion correction?

bigbassloyd 04-27-2018 12:53 PM

Looks to me like it just needs some vertical distortion correction.

Loyd L.

MassArt Images 04-27-2018 08:40 PM

I gave it .25 CCW rotation and it made it in. "Precision railroading"

[photoid=656154]

jac_murphy 04-27-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193967)
BTW, what ails the PC Heritage unit? Looks like the paint is coming off!

Authenticity. :grin:

miningcamper1 04-27-2018 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MassArt Images (Post 193977)
I gave it .25 CCW rotation and it made it in. "Precision railroading"

[photoid=656154]

Rotating it the wrong way got it on? Oh,well. Whatever works, I suppose. :roll::lol:

MassArt Images 04-28-2018 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193979)
Rotating it the wrong way got it on? Oh,well. Whatever works, I suppose. :roll::lol:

The taller chimney has probably settled since it's been up over 50 yrs. The small one is only about 6 yrs old.

What can I say? Just following instructions......;-)

JimThias 04-30-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak (Post 193964)
It looks to me like the stacks are leaning left if anything...hmm

Definitely leaning to the right.

And there's a halo around the stack, too. :)

miningcamper1 04-30-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 193984)
Definitely leaning to the right.

I'm looking at the tall, close-to-the-center smokestack which is clearly leaning LEFT. What are you looking at? :confused:

Oh, and the shorter stack is also leaning left. See for yourself.

bigbassloyd 04-30-2018 05:57 PM

It needs distortion correction, but y'all keep arguing like you know what you're talking about.. :D

Loyd L.

miningcamper1 04-30-2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 193986)
It needs distortion correction, but y'all keep arguing like you know what you're talking about.. :D

Loyd L.

I've been playing with recently acquired distortion correction for a couple weeks now. Don't you need to level the image before doing distortion correction?

BTW, distortion correction is very cool and easy to do if the original crop isn't too tight! :)

Decapod401 05-01-2018 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193987)
I've been playing with recently acquired distortion correction for a couple weeks now. Don't you need to level the image before doing distortion correction?

For me, vertical distortion correction is part of the leveling process. If you have a reference vertical that is dead center in the frame, you can rotate the image until that reference is vertical, and then play with the vertical correction value until vertical references closer to the edge are also vertical.

If reference verticals are only available closer to the left and right edges, I rotate to level one, and then the other, and then find the rotation angle that splits the difference. From there apply vertical distortion correction, and you will be close. From there, it's an iterative process between rotation and VDC to get all of the references to be vertical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193987)
BTW, distortion correction is very cool and easy to do if the original crop isn't too tight! :)

I am glad that I always shot a little loose for that reason.

ShortlinesUSA 05-01-2018 01:34 PM

I'll admit I know next to nothing about the Photoshop 7.0 software I use (read: level, crop, control, brightness, saturation). I have seen a lot of advice given here that using vertical correction is simple, yet few bother to do it. I have looked around a bit (not an exhaustive search by any means) and don't see anything in 7.0 that jumps out at me to accomplish vertical correction. Do any of you happen to know if this software has that capability?

RobJor 05-01-2018 02:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA (Post 193989)
I'll admit I know next to nothing about the Photoshop 7.0 software I use (read: level, crop, control, brightness, saturation). I have seen a lot of advice given here that using vertical correction is simple, yet few bother to do it. I have looked around a bit (not an exhaustive search by any means) and don't see anything in 7.0 that jumps out at me to accomplish vertical correction. Do any of you happen to know if this software has that capability?

I think we are kinda talking about two things, one is simply rotating and the other is distortion like from a wide angle or shooting up. My worst case was shooting a fire escape capturing the medallion at the base and shooting up 14 stories while kneeling on the ground. there was both unlevel and distortion but the RAW converter in in PS did well.


This was done auto only in RAW converter in PS cloud.
Disclaimer!!! for demonstration purpose only. Original was grab shot out of car . Public alley.

Bob

ShortlinesUSA 05-02-2018 03:30 PM

Oh, indeed-- I do level my images (scanned from slides) when needed. What I am talking about is when I shoot below 35 mm and start getting distortion. So, say I shoot next to a grain elevator on 28 mm, and while the shot is level, the elevator "leans in" giving the photo an unlevel appearance. That's what I'm wondering if 7.0 can "fix" or if that is newer technology in other software.

RobJor 05-02-2018 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA (Post 193991)
Oh, indeed-- I do level my images (scanned from slides) when needed. What I am talking about is when I shoot below 35 mm and start getting distortion. So, say I shoot next to a grain elevator on 28 mm, and while the shot is level, the elevator "leans in" giving the photo an unlevel appearance. That's what I'm wondering if 7.0 can "fix" or if that is newer technology in other software.

You mean like this:
After:(before attached) -
[photoid=640413]

I would also note that as strict as they can be, manually leveling may still leave some very subtle distortion not readily noticed.

My favorite memory was an April 30th, 1971 slide I posted. Cleaned, scanned,
adjust, clean the sky, crop, gather info, now you can guess how much time?

Then comes the leaning left rejection so I correct 3 10th. Most of my things from that day still sit in a tray.

Bob Jordan

bigbassloyd 05-02-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193987)
I've been playing with recently acquired distortion correction for a couple weeks now. Don't you need to level the image before doing distortion correction?

BTW, distortion correction is very cool and easy to do if the original crop isn't too tight! :)

I liked the results when I used his original rejected image with 10-12 vertical correction. If fixing the accepted version, I removed the rotation he added and did the vertical correction. Looked adequate to me.

Loyd L.

JimThias 05-03-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193987)
Don't you need to level the image before doing distortion correction?

Yes. If the image is level, using the perspective correction feature should straighten the verticals evenly on both sides of the image.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.