RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Talked about many times but still the same,,"Come On Man"! (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17279)

bigiron 11-06-2014 12:01 PM

Talked about many times but still the same,,"Come On Man"!

Well, been a super busy growing season working 2 farms and would like to get out for the first time this since early spring. I was looking at a few recent shots to see what the foliage looks like and came across this photo and it just makes me wonder how many of us have rejected shots that don't get on and this junk gets accepted! Really shouldn't even have been uploaded but if the screeners are accepting them then shame on them.

[photoid=504351]

Stop claiming "The BEST railroad photos on the net" , it should be "Some of the best railroad photos on the net" if sloppy standards are going to continue on IMHO. This is not like this is a hard pic to reject if you even take the time to just open the thumbnail and maybe many pictures are accepted by doing just that....who knows? Didn't want pick on the photog but just tired of battling fluctuating standards.

Done venting for now :wink:, Rich

Mberry 11-06-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigiron (Post 182148)
Well, been a super busy growing season working 2 farms and would like to get out for the first time this since early spring. I was looking at a few recent shots to see what the foliage looks like and came across this photo and it just makes me wonder how many of us have rejected shots that don't get on and this junk gets accepted! Really shouldn't even have been uploaded but if the screeners are accepting them then shame on them.

[photoid=504351]

Stop claiming "The BEST railroad photos on the net" , it should be "Some of the best railroad photos on the net" if sloppy standards are going to continue on IMHO. This is not like this is a hard pic to reject if you even take the time to just open the thumbnail and maybe many pictures are accepted by doing just that....who knows? Didn't want pick on the photog but just tired of battling fluctuating standards.

When I saw that I was pretty surprised it was accepted. By rp standards it certainly shouldn't have been.

bigbassloyd 11-06-2014 01:07 PM

I see tons of shots everyday that I would have rejected. :)

Loyd L.

Kevin B. 11-06-2014 02:43 PM

[photoid=505295]

Another prime example. Should have never made it past a "Cloudy/Common" rejection.

bigbassloyd 11-06-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin B. (Post 182153)
[photoid=505295]

Another prime example. Should have never made it past a "Cloudy/Common" rejection.

It's hard to get photos of those 70aces in service, instead of in a ditch. ;)

Loyd L.

Kevin B. 11-06-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 182156)
It's hard to get photos of those 70aces in service, instead of in a ditch. ;)

Loyd L.

Lol! Touche!

Mberry 11-07-2014 03:35 AM

Quote:

[photoid=505295]

And now it's the #1 top shot. :confused::confused::confused:

miningcamper1 11-07-2014 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mberry (Post 182168)
And now it's the #1 top shot. :confused::confused::confused:

Can it be that the typical Railpictures.net viewer simply doesn't care that it was cloudy (or going away, or the nose wasn't lighted or whatever)?

Just a thought.

CSX1702 11-07-2014 07:03 AM

Neither of the 2 pictures really bother me that much. Especially the ACe shot. That's kinda cool.

Mberry 11-07-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 182171)
Can it be that the typical Railpictures.net viewer simply doesn't care that it was cloudy (or going away, or the nose wasn't lighted or whatever)?

Just a thought.

I just find it boring and lacking in the 'wtf factor' that leads to top shots.

JimThias 11-07-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

[photoid=504351]

Quote:

[photoid=505295]

There's already a thread for these two shots:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=16510

:grin:

Mgoldman 11-08-2014 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 182175)

Jim rejects this thread as it is similar to previous.

/Mitch

bigiron 11-08-2014 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 182175)

Well Jim, I took a chance that it wasn't covered and did a quick check for the days following the Oct 30 upload, just didn't look at the gazillion in the BEST thread. Sorry to clutter things and give you more reading....:smile:.

Freericks 11-08-2014 01:31 AM

And yet Jim accepts your using "previous" as a noun.

(Actually, it's totally acceptable - but looks funny.)

MagnumForce 11-08-2014 05:28 AM

Quote:

[photoid=505295]

Personally, I like that one.

Joe the Photog 11-09-2014 03:52 AM

Because I can't tell you how many times I see modern EMD power coupled with old ass Alcos! I mean, it's beyond common!

CSX1702 11-09-2014 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 182204)
Because I can't tell you how many times I see modern EMD power coupled with old ass Alcos! I mean, it's beyond common!

:lol::lol:

Freericks 11-09-2014 02:52 PM

Those old ass Alcos are younger than moi.

Mark Rosnick 11-11-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 182211)
Those old ass Alcos are younger than moi.

Same here...it's kind of nice to see an ACE with a 50 year old Alco

Ron Flanary 11-13-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Really shouldn't even have been uploaded but if the screeners are accepting them then shame on them.

[photoid=504351]

So, what's wrong with it? It's a bit on the warm side, but it otherwise looks okay to me.

"The BEST railroad photos on the net" is more of a marketing pitch than reality. If they held to that standard, the rejection rate would be over 90 percent. RP just has a base level standard---and it's really not a high bar. Sure, they accept (or reject) images every day that most of us would have disagreed with. However, I would have accepted this shot as well.

RF

Greg P 11-13-2014 08:40 PM

Isn't it cloudy day common power?

miningcamper1 11-13-2014 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Flanary (Post 182283)
So, what's wrong with it? It's a bit on the warm side, but it otherwise looks okay to me.

"The BEST railroad photos on the net" is more of a marketing pitch than reality.

Well, they don't say "ONLY the best railroad photos on the net", right?

What's wrong with it? That branch! Would be a ton of work to get rid of.

Ron Flanary 11-14-2014 06:56 PM

The power's not "common" to me--and the branch is reality. I like the shot quite a bit.

I must be a dumb ass know-nothing, eh? :)

By the way...there are plenty of crap shots on RP. In fact, a heavy percentage of them are mine! There's no way you can weed out all the dud shots, but they try.

I always go back to some guy who was so pissed about all his shots being constantly rejected by Rail Pictures, he did a YouTube video of them, set to music. I watched it, and my only thought: "Dude....you need to take up another hobby, because you'll never cut it as a railroad photographer..." It's like the adoring mother whose daughter never wins a beauty contest. That mother doesn't realize her daughter is so ugly they need to hang a pork chop around her neck just so the dog will play with her.

CSX1702 11-14-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Flanary (Post 182298)
...her daughter is so ugly they need to hang a pork chop around her neck just so the dog will play with her.

Jeez Ron, you can't say stuff like that while I'm taking a drink.

Extra 127 South 11-14-2014 08:48 PM

It has been a while since I have heard that one. It is good to know they also hang pork chops out in your end of the state.