RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Grid (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6183)

Greg P 11-19-2007 12:18 AM

Grid

I was wondering if anyone knew if you can get a grid for a DSLR. I noticed when I turned the grid function on in my handheld, some of the pictures looked alot better. The grid would probally help me alot with getting level images when a tripod isn't practical.

JRMDC 11-19-2007 12:28 AM

You need to change the focusing screen/mirror. The problem is that most DSLRs don't have one that can be changed. The Canon 1-series cameras can. I think I read that the new 40D can. To my knowledge no other Canon's can be changed. Don't know about other brands.

Greg P 11-19-2007 05:49 AM

And I have a Rebel XT; damn. Funny thing is I almost bought a Nikon.

Is the 40D grid any good? I might be able to sell my camera on ebay.

JimThias 11-19-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC
You need to change the focusing screen/mirror. The problem is that most DSLRs don't have one that can be changed. The Canon 1-series cameras can. I think I read that the new 40D can. To my knowledge no other Canon's can be changed. Don't know about other brands.

Janusz, can you explain this focusing screen/mirror and how it can be changed? I'm not familiar with this feature. I could probably use a grid sometimes...for some reason I have a problem holding my zoom lens level. Even when I THINK it looks level, the picture still comes out slightly unlevel. Very odd.

Joe the Photog 11-19-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg P
And I have a Rebel XT; damn. Funny thing is I almost bought a Nikon.

Is the 40D grid any good? I might be able to sell my camera on ebay.

Just to note that new Rebel XTs are going for $430 on some sites I have found.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A0459535

Joe

JRMDC 11-19-2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias
Janusz, can you explain this focusing screen/mirror and how it can be changed? I'm not familiar with this feature. I could probably use a grid sometimes...for some reason I have a problem holding my zoom lens level. Even when I THINK it looks level, the picture still comes out slightly unlevel. Very odd.

Well, I'm no expert. Back in the film SLR days - manual focus - it was pretty common to have interchangeable screens, as, for example, some people liked a split-circle as a focusing aid and others preferred just a bare screen. So one could remove the screen/mirror and pop in a different one. For some cameras third-party screens could be purchased - the pro level stuff. I recall that some of those screens would include a grid.

My undertanding, which means something I read or I think I read, is that one can do this on a Canon 1-series camera.

I've just confirmed (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/page3.asp) that the 40D has interchangeable screens and one of the offered screens has a grid. As this feature is "new," I presume it can't be done for any earlier xxD camera and thus presumably for any earlier xxxD camera.

JimThias 11-19-2007 02:00 PM

Thanks. I jumped off the SLR boat back in high school due to my inability to grasp the concept of camera settings, which has now turned out to be one the biggest regrets of my life. But anyway...thanks for the simple explanation. And because of my very limited experience with SLR's, I didn't realize something like that was a feature.

JRMDC 11-19-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias
Thanks. I jumped off the SLR boat back in high school due to my inability to grasp the concept of camera settings, which has now turned out to be one the biggest regrets of my life.

It is unbelievable to me just how many shots I mucked up back in those days. :(

transit383 11-19-2007 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg P
I was wondering if anyone knew if you can get a grid for a DSLR. I noticed when I turned the grid function on in my handheld, some of the pictures looked alot better. The grid would probally help me alot with getting level images when a tripod isn't practical.

I love the grid function on my camera! It has helped so much with keeping my photos level (especially shots taken on the beach, where I can ensure that the ocean horizon is actually horizontal). Whenever I let others use my camera though, the first question is "Hey, what are those lines on the screen?" :)

BartY 11-19-2007 03:55 PM

Nikon D100, D70, D80, D200, D300 (not to mention film cameras) all have selectable grids available in camera. I keep the one in my D70 turned on all the time. Only on the higher end "pro" cameras are you forced to change the focusing screens to get the gridlines.

JRMDC 11-19-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BartY
Nikon D100, D70, D80, D200, D300 (not to mention film cameras) all have selectable grids available in camera. I keep the one in my D70 turned on all the time. Only on the higher end "pro" cameras are you forced to change the focusing screens to get the gridlines.

That sounds like a great feature! Canon, get to it!

BartY 11-20-2007 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC
That sounds like a great feature! Canon, get to it!

Heh heh...Nikon has been doing that for about 7-8 years now. :)

bigbassloyd 11-20-2007 05:46 PM

My Canon S3IS has a grid mode for both the LCD, and Viewfinder..

really helps me out, because I'm an unlevel kind of guy!

Loyd L.

UNDPilot 11-21-2007 05:16 PM

I have a Nikon D80 and yes the grid feature is nice, now that I start to do a lot more manual focusing I want a split focus screen and you can't change it in the D80. I have seen third-party ones for the D70 so you may want to look into that as well.