RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Angle, Going Away (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18286)

Sean Mathews 10-10-2019 01:13 PM

Angle, Going Away

It's hard ot be unique at a chartered event, so I always look for opportunities for something different. Thought this might fit the bill, but got slapped with the going away rejection. Interestingly it says exceptions are made for artistic or unique shots. I figured this would fall in to those categories. I guess not.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...48&key=8850468

bigbassloyd 10-10-2019 01:24 PM

The bar for going away shots has always been quite high here.

I'm going to guess that a reverse wedgie isn't going to be in their 'unique' exception list.

Did you go anything close in with the engineer looking out of the cab? a minimized composition using the cab and exhaust as elements might work out better for you.

Loyd L.

Sean Mathews 10-10-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 195887)
The bar for going away shots has always been quite high here.

I'm going to guess that a reverse wedgie isn't going to be in their 'unique' exception list.

Did you go anything close in with the engineer looking out of the cab? a minimized composition using the cab and exhaust as elements might work out better for you.

Loyd L.

I can try and crop tighter but unfortunately at this point it was about 7 and the light had pretty much faded. The fact I was able to get the driver with no blur was somewhat of an accomplishment, as you can see the shutter speed was slow... Oh well...

Grewup on the CW 10-10-2019 02:56 PM

Another going away was just accepted, taken 15 mins earlier than yours the day before and in color. The weather was better so that may have played into the lighting vs your pic. Is your shot completely overcast? The B&W is fitting considering the rolling stock and engine, it should have got the acceptance nod on those points.

Sean Mathews 10-10-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW (Post 195889)
Another going away was just accepted, taken 15 mins earlier than yours the day before and in color. The weather was better so that may have played into the lighting vs your pic. Is your shot completely overcast? The B&W is fitting considering the rolling stock and engine, it should have got the acceptance nod on those points.

Overcast and dark... which honestly I think adds to the atmosphere of the image. I might appeal... but we all know how that goes... :lol:

bigbassloyd 10-10-2019 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Mathews (Post 195890)
I might appeal... but we all know how that goes... :lol:

The rejection reason isn't really arguable though. The image is not exactly creative in composition or editing, and I feel confident that most charter photographers captured very similar shots over the course of the event for no other reason than digital film is cheap and there's nothing else to do. I've did a handful of charters and took many frames that have absolutely nothing going for them and will never be shown because of that.

The image that CW is referencing (Dennis' shot I believe) has the primary subject closer in, with a decent color and sky in the rear of the composition for support. At any rate a point and bark about another shot getting in argument isn't effective here. :)

Loyd L.

Sean Mathews 10-10-2019 06:31 PM

Either way, its not that big of a deal. I have plenty of more images, most a lot different than what others shot...

Grewup on the CW 10-10-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 195891)
The rejection reason isn't really arguable though. The image is not exactly creative in composition or editing, and I feel confident that most charter photographers captured very similar shots over the course of the event for no other reason than digital film is cheap and there's nothing else to do. I've did a handful of charters and took many frames that have absolutely nothing going for them and will never be shown because of that.

The image that CW is referencing (Dennis' shot I believe) has the primary subject closer in, with a decent color and sky in the rear of the composition for support. At any rate a point and bark about another shot getting in argument isn't effective here. :)

Loyd L.

I was referring to Dennis' shot as an example that going away can and does get on but I was trying to point out that even though both were shot within 15 minutes of each other and they were just one day apart, the weather was totally different and (I believe) played the deciding factor in getting the nod or in Sean case, not getting the nod.
Then again it could just be the screener.....and I know all to well about playing the "similar shot already go on" card does not work. My appeal record is just as win less as the 0-5 Snyder Deadskins ....:lol:

KevinM 10-10-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 195891)
Loyd L.

Sean's image is not really a going-away shot, but rather, a rear quarter shot of a stopped locomotive and consist. It is interesting in that it depicts a mixed train with an N&W "Mollie" on point, which is not exactly common. That said, it doesn't depict any particular action (train is not backing up), and at least I personally am not a fan of making it a B&W. B&W's work best when they are extra contrasty, and I don't find this image in that category. Still, I am a bit surprised it got the boot. A lot of slack is typically cut for steam photos (hey, they let ME post :)), and charters in particular.

WRT Dennis' image, I think Loyd is referring to this one:
[photoid=712465]

Whereas Sean's image is documentary in nature, Dennis' definitely crosses into the "arty" realm, taking full advantage of post-sunset lighting, deep shadows, silhouettes....and the crew doing some classic things, such as watering their locomotive. It HAS to be rear-quarter to depict the actions and the lighting that it does. It has a lot of elements and the composition is excellent. If I'd been screening, I probably would have given it an SC, although that would have been very unlikely with the RP Staff given that there already is an SC/PoTW from the same charter.

BTW, Dennis' shot was taken Saturday evening, when the weather was significantly better than it was the following evening. Dennis was not on the train Saturday, but rather, waiting at the station. Those of us on the train never had an opportunity to capture that scene, because the 611 train was blocking the main, while our 475 train was waiting just outside the yard.

Sean Mathews 10-10-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM (Post 195894)
Sean's image is not really a going-away shot, but rather, a rear quarter shot of a stopped locomotive and consist. It is interesting in that it depicts a mixed train with an N&W "Mollie" on point, which is not exactly common. That said, it doesn't depict any particular action (train is not backing up), and at least I personally am not a fan of making it a B&W. B&W's work best when they are extra contrasty, and I don't find this image in that category. Still, I am a bit surprised it got the boot. A lot of slack is typically cut for steam photos (hey, they let ME post :)), and charters in particular.

[photoid=712465]

Whereas Sean's image is documentary in nature, Dennis' definitely crosses into the "arty" realm, taking full advantage of post-sunset lighting, deep shadows, silhouettes....and the crew doing some classic things, such as watering their locomotive. It HAS to be rear-quarter to depict the actions and the lighting that it does. It has a lot of elements and the composition is excellent. If I'd been screening, I probably would have given it an SC, although that would have been very unlikely with the RP Staff given that there already is an SC/PoTW from the same charter.

BTW, Dennis' shot was taken Saturday evening, when the weather was significantly better than it was the following evening. Dennis was not on the train Saturday, but rather, waiting at the station. Those of us on the train never had an opportunity to capture that scene, because the 611 train was blocking the main, while our 475 train was waiting just outside the yard.

Oh, Dennis's is hands down better, for sure. He had the weather on his side, and again, actual rail ops in action.

Had I been able to get a cleaner shot closer to the driver looking back, it might have been a different situation. I might try to crop tighthr and go color, but again... I've got plenty of others, and considering one of my double header pan shots made it into the T24, I'm happier than I should be...

TedG 10-11-2019 12:25 AM

Sean,
I think you just pissed the screener off by referring to the engineer as a "driver".:wink:
/Ted

miningcamper1 10-11-2019 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM (Post 195894)

[photoid=712465]

Passionate disliker of large signatures and watermarks here. Did Dennis really need to place his signature atop the equipment where the viewer can't help but find it a distraction?

KevinM 10-11-2019 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 195897)
Passionate disliker of large signatures and watermarks here. Did Dennis really need to place his signature atop the equipment where the viewer can't help but find it a distraction?

Concur on that. If I were posting this particular image, I would have at least put the watermark on the opposite side, where there is dead-space. I typically pick the dead side for mine.

Decapod401 10-11-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedG (Post 195896)
Sean,
I think you just pissed the screener off by referring to the engineer as a "driver".:wink:
/Ted

European shots do have a lower acceptance rate. :lol:

bigbassloyd 10-11-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

I think this makes the second time we've agreed on something! I loathe watermarks and signatures on any photo.

Loyd L.

bigbassloyd 10-11-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Sean,
/Ted

That was a good one! Thanks for the laugh. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 195899)
European shots do have a lower acceptance rate. :lol:

Drivers and controllers and bank engines oh my!

Loyd L.

Sean Mathews 10-11-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Sean,
/Ted

Ahhhhh. I knew it was something. My love for British trains and the three years I lived there as a child in the 80s has come back to haunt me.

Dennis A. Livesey 10-13-2019 04:21 AM

Quote:

I don't like watermarks either. I am going to have to fire my assistant. :-)

I have been here since 2004 and as ever, the screeners and their process is inscrutable.

I re-uploaded non-water marked images. All were rejected.

I am clueless why.

I am afraid you all will suffer my watermark for the time being. :-)

vcode455 10-13-2019 10:36 PM

Actually I think I like Sean's shot better, even though both are good. Has a Phil Hastings feel to it. I would have approved it in a heartbeat.

Decapod401 10-18-2019 03:46 AM

Quote:

Sean,
/Ted

I'm surprised that Sean didn't piss off the screener by saying that a steam locomotive was "idling".

They don't even say that in the UK! :D

[photoid=713274]

Sean Mathews 10-18-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 195939)
I'm surprised that Sean didn't piss off the screener by saying that a steam locomotive was "idling".

They don't even say that in the UK! :D

[photoid=713274]

I don't rail speak that well... I just take pictures and watch them go by... :lol:

bigbassloyd 10-18-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Mathews (Post 195941)
I don't rail speak that well... I just take pictures and watch them go by... :lol:

Same here! I usually have to do a search to determine what locomotive I shot before uploading here.

Loyd L.

RobJor 10-18-2019 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I never use watermark but maybe someone knows, is there some default? if you don't change the positions for each submit.
Here is good photographer with three from SD which I happened to interested in esp this ghost town. He has two others with the copyright only off to the side and this one with the Railpics logo and the copyright right in the middle essentially ruining the image aesthetically.

[photoid=713410]

Bob

This what rest of town looks like.