RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Similar to Previous Photo (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18078)

Daniel MINACA 03-25-2018 08:29 PM

Similar to Previous Photo

Hi all,

Here an hires picture of Sotteville yards where more than 300 locomotives are waiting death...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...44&key=6066176
Rejected with "Similar to Previous Photo" reason.
Sotteville yards already have few pictures of these locomotives but with others points of views, mine and Jean-Marc Frybourg pictures.
Already made an appeal...
What your point of view ?
Thanks for yours comments.

[EDIT] As usual, appeal rejected without comments !

amtrak07t 03-25-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel MINACA (Post 193747)
Hi all,

Here an hires picture of Sotteville yards where more than 300 locomotives are waiting death...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...44&key=6066176
Rejected with "Similar to Previous Photo" reason.
Sotteville yards already have few pictures of these locomotives but with others points of views, mine and Jean-Marc Frybourg pictures.
Already made an appeal...
What your point of view ?
Thanks for yours comments.

It appears that this image was published over a year ago, [photoid=605485]
I couldn't imagine the screeners have that good of a memory unless the older image got a top shot. I'd say it is worth an appeal. Nice shot.

Joseph Cermak 03-25-2018 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel MINACA (Post 193747)

Not sure what you gave as grounds for appeal, but when I have gotten this rejection I have made sure to justify the amount of similar images (if any) and why mine is different. Being clear and concise in an appeal is critical.

In my opinion, the one rejected is much better composed/cropped than the one accepted previously.

troy12n 03-26-2018 01:43 AM

France's version of Larry's Truck and Electric... cool :rolleyes:

Chris Kilroy 03-26-2018 03:02 AM

Looks like the same picture, cropped differently, to me. I'm not really sure on what grounds you'd appeal anything.

wds 03-26-2018 04:57 AM

Looks to me as if you moved 20 feet to the right and recomposed, but yeah, I like this version better also.

amtrak07t 03-26-2018 05:13 AM

I see that both images were taken on the same day. Still, they were submitted over a year apart, and I think it's worthwhile to have a second look at a different angle. I still think that both have merit, and I enjoyed looking at both of them. Perhaps, I'm in the minority judging by the previous comments. I like it, though.

bigbassloyd 03-26-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 193754)

I was thinking the same thing :D

Loyd L.

KevinM 03-26-2018 03:04 PM

It is definitely frustrating when you find yourself posting photos that are similar to those of other RP contributors. Those of us who are frequent charter patrons find ourselves in that position quite a lot. Frankly, I think that the RP Screeners have been pretty gracious lately, in allowing a TON of stuff (including some of mine) that I would definitely classify as "similar to previous." Just do a search on "Southern Railway" and enjoy.

Heck, by the time I got home from a recent charter, one guy had basically posted nearly all of the scenes from the event from his hotel room, so if the "similar to previous" had been strictly enforced, that one guy would have basically shut everyone else off from the opportunity to post anything they'd shot. Hopefully, that was not his intent, but it certainly seems to fit in with the recent trends, such as linking campaigns, that just have a "me first and to heck with the rest of you" feel. It certainly dampens my enthusiasm when it comes to deciding how I should spend my evenings. Should I spend one more minute processing another photo from a really tapped-out charter.....or work on my tax return? :lol:

bigbassloyd 03-26-2018 04:05 PM

If you would 'lower' yourself to chasing diesel power in some hard to reach places, you'd have no problem getting unique photos for here. :D

Loyd L.

KevinM 03-26-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 193764)
If you would 'lower' yourself to chasing diesel power in some hard to reach places, you'd have no problem getting unique photos for here. :D

Loyd L.

Hi Loyd,

Yes, if I could just manage to interest myself in those machines, I could do as you suggest. It's really the history, the engineering and the "character" of steam engines that's the draw. That and the fact that these days, each surviving steam engine is pretty unique, as opposed to being a clone of many others.....which is why we don't call them "units." :)

Unfortunately, to see steam looking like it did back in the day, you pretty much need to charter the train. Nobody runs freights these days with steam and vintage rolling stock, unless you pay them large volumes of cash. The key is finding small charters that don't include 60 people.

I really enjoy history. I would much rather spend a day in a nice museum, or exploring the yard in Chama, NM or attending a Civil War re-enactment, than sit on a park bench messing with my cell phone. Mine is off most of the time. No kidding!

bigbassloyd 03-26-2018 05:13 PM

History is great! However I'm more of a 'create it' person over a 're-live it' one.

And one day those Alcos digging through the woods of Upshur and Randolph County, WV will be historical. I can only hope the person(s) who end up with my collection shares them more than I do. :D

Loyd L.

chris crook 03-26-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy (Post 193757)
Looks like the same picture, cropped differently, to me. I'm not really sure on what grounds you'd appeal anything.

That makes it a different picture.

bigbassloyd 03-26-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris crook (Post 193768)
That makes it a different picture.

Similar to previous.. not exactly like previous is how the rejection is worded. And while I'm not sure it's the same pictures as Chris stated, it's pretty damn similar.

What the photographer could do is remove the accepted photo, and upload the superior composition that was rejected for STP.

Loyd L.

miningcamper1 03-26-2018 09:30 PM

Submitting the new one in color would be different enough, IMO.

wds 03-27-2018 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 193754)

Exactly! And how many shots of Larry's that are similar or even identical to previous have graced these pages in the past (yes, that's a rhetorical question - don't bother answering)? But Larry's is not in France, so it's all good! :D

wds 03-27-2018 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193770)
Submitting the new one in color would be different enough, IMO.

You just might be on to something here! ;)

Decapod401 03-27-2018 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 193767)
History is great! However I'm more of a 'create it' person over a 're-live it' one.

I'm in that camp - although I would consider myself more of a "capture and document it" person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 193767)
And one day those Alcos digging through the woods of Upshur and Randolph County, WV will be historical. I can only hope the person(s) who end up with my collection shares them more than I do. :D

Loyd L.

Indeed they will be. When I was shooting much more in the '70's and '80's, not many people other than my friends saw my stuff. Now, thirty years later, I've looked at my shelves of slides to realize that others may have an appreciation for the history that they represent. There are so many things that are now long gone, and are history. Some photos from one favorite example, the Pittsburg & Shawmut:

[photoid=580994]

[photoid=606688]

[photoid=629434]

The line is now railbanked, and will likely never see rails again. The mine at Dora is gone with no trace. I hope the day comes when your "history" sees the light of day.

miningcamper1 03-27-2018 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 193774)
I'm in that camp - although I would consider myself more of a "capture and document it" person.

Indeed they will be. When I was shooting much more in the '70's and '80's, not many people other than my friends saw my stuff. Now, thirty years later, I've looked at my shelves of slides to realize that others may have an appreciation for the history that they represent. There are so many things that are now long gone, and are history. Some photos from one favorite example, the Pittsburg & Shawmut:

[photoid=580994]

[photoid=606688]

[photoid=629434]

The line is now railbanked, and will likely never see rails again. The mine at Dora is gone with no trace. I hope the day comes when your "history" sees the light of day.

You got better weather, but I got the original paint scheme! :twisted:

Great little railroad, but totally dependent on coal!

Daniel MINACA 03-27-2018 09:02 AM

Thanks at all for comments.
It's what I said to screeners in appeal message;
There is many, many US events with similar photos, materials and shot locations on RP database...
But as you know, there is difference regarding acceptation with non US pictures !
This one is with the new hires RP rules (@1600) and there is no yet hires picture of this location is the database...

Grewup on the CW 03-27-2018 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 193774)

[photoid=580994]

[photoid=606688]

[photoid=629434]

Doug,
Its people like yourself that was out there getting the shots, then it was as it it is now, just everyday stuff, recording history for today. As a kid, so much RR stuff was right in front of me but was it was the now and I took it for granted. Today and everyday I'm constantly searching for the past and trying to record and document what I dont have readily at my finger tips. I have tons of current stuff and I'm recording history in the making and one day someone will appreciate my now, then...
Doug, and others like Doug who have plowed the roads before "yester year" please keep sharing or start sharing the days of long along, regardless of picture quality, (for those who want to make that argument as technology was not then what it is now) people like me will appreciate it more than you will ever know.

troy12n 03-27-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wds (Post 193772)
Exactly! And how many shots of Larry's that are similar or even identical to previous have graced these pages in the past (yes, that's a rhetorical question - don't bother answering)? But Larry's is not in France, so it's all good! :D

Yeah, i think all but 1 of the Larry's pics can be safely removed from the database... how many pictures of rotting locomotives from the exact same angle does the site need?

RobJor 03-28-2018 10:15 PM

I am going to give Daniel his due here about perceived favoring of US.

[photoid=651553]

[photoid=653183]

Not sorry if I am offending anyone, but one of these was enough, not sure what they are seeing, Marley's ghost? It almost looks like a Lucy and Ethel skit and I was thinking maybe it is satire???? but don't think it is???

Bob

troy12n 03-29-2018 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobJor (Post 193802)
Not sorry if I am offending anyone, but one of these was enough, not sure what they are seeing, Marley's ghost? It almost looks like a Lucy and Ethel skit and I was thinking maybe it is satire???? but don't think it is???

Bob

I didn't realize shop workers used so much makeup

RobJor 03-29-2018 04:23 AM

As anything RR's and WWII there are Delano photos online. The women are like the stylized version of ads of the time and thinking more of it, could be viewed in the realm of advertising art so maybe I was too harsh in my comments. However the pose and look is????? As far as details, pierced ears?

Bob