RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A new rejection reason (for me at least) (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16912)

Oskar 02-09-2014 02:27 AM

A new rejection reason (for me at least)

I had not seen this one before: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...42&key=2085014

I thought it might be an interesting picture, guess I was wrong. I don't know what other angle it can be shot anyway.

jnohallman 02-09-2014 02:54 AM

You weren't wrong. I think it is an interesting picture. Pity the screener didn't think it belongs on the site. I'm wondering if he hit the wrong rejection reason, though. It looks just slightly unlevel - I think it needs to come counter-clockwise a smidge. Just out of curiosity, do you have a frame with the engineer actually grabbing the hoop with the orders?

Jon

Kyle Yunker 02-09-2014 02:58 AM

I think that's great shot. You can tell you're moving and there's an interesting human element. Needs some CCW rotation but other than that it's a winner in my book.

Oskar 02-09-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnohallman (Post 175213)
You weren't wrong. I think it is an interesting picture. Pity the screener didn't think it belongs on the site. I'm wondering if he hit the wrong rejection reason, though. It looks just slightly unlevel - I think it needs to come counter-clockwise a smidge. Just out of curiosity, do you have a frame with the engineer actually grabbing the hoop with the orders?

Jon

Thanks Jon.
I levelled it by the grab iron, and it was shot at 18mm. on a crop sensor, so there could be some distortion. I will rotate it the way both of you suggest.
Yes, I have several frames, I just found this one more interesting.

Oskar 02-09-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Yunker (Post 175215)
I think that's great shot. You can tell you're moving and there's an interesting human element. Needs some CCW rotation but other than that it's a winner in my book.

Thank you Kyle.
One thing I don't like is the cutted building on the right (a bathroom) but you can't compose a flawless picture on a moving train.

Thanks the both of you for the comments.

Hatchetman 02-09-2014 02:32 PM

Interesting. Much more so than a lot of photos here.

Oskar 02-09-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatchetman (Post 175239)
Interesting. Much more so than a lot of photos here.

Thanks.

I thought it isn't a common operation in most countires and some people might find it interesting. That of course doesn't make it a good picture necessarily, so I think it belongs to Flickr.

Next time I will try it on a steam engine!

MagnumForce 02-09-2014 08:32 PM

I'd appeal, that deserves to be on.

Mark Rosnick 02-09-2014 08:58 PM

I agree...it show motion and it's not the everyday run of the mill 'wedgie'. I'd appeal.

Oskar 02-09-2014 10:11 PM

Thank you, guys.

I'm used to work on a rejection, but I don't know how to cope with this one. It sounds like PEQ to me, it seems the screener didn't like the picture at all.
I wouldn't even know on what basis to appeal and if it's worth it.
I'm glad you like it, that's enough for me.

MagnumForce 02-09-2014 10:18 PM

Appeal on the basis that is is an image that deserves inclusion because of the uniqueness. Is 100% not a PEQ.

troy12n 02-10-2014 12:38 AM

Image quality could be a little better, but I don't get the PEQ rejection...

Oskar 02-10-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 175263)
Appeal on the basis that is is an image that deserves inclusion because of the uniqueness. Is 100% not a PEQ.

Ok, I guess I can give it another try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 175277)
Image quality could be a little better, but I don't get the PEQ rejection...

But take a look at the condition of the track; that, along with the slow shutter speed, caused a lot of shaking. I think it turned out pretty well in that regard.

Oskar 02-11-2014 10:25 PM

Well, I appealed and it was rejected again, so it's over.
I'm fine with it, your opinions matter to me too, it wasn't a waste of time if some people got what I wanted to do.
Thanks everybody!

troy12n 02-11-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oskar (Post 175291)
But take a look at the condition of the track; that, along with the slow shutter speed, caused a lot of shaking. I think it turned out pretty well in that regard.

I hate to side with the establishment, but that's not an excuse. Just like having bad equipment, "the train came after the sun set behind the mountain" or other excuses.

Oskar 02-11-2014 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 175366)
I hate to side with the establishment, but that's not an excuse. Just like having bad equipment, "the train came after the sun set behind the mountain" or other excuses.

But do you really think is that bad? I didn't notice it, nobody told me anything about image quality, it's been published on Flickr for months, it wasn't rejected for that reason.
It won't be seen here anyway.

troy12n 02-11-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oskar (Post 175367)
But do you really think is that bad? I didn't notice it, nobody told me anything about image quality, it's been published on Flickr for months, it wasn't rejected for that reason.
It won't be seen here anyway.

It's not horrible, there's been much worse lately. But it's lacking. That is what I was getting at.

Not sure what you mean by the Flickr comparison, they dont screen pictures...

Oskar 02-11-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 175368)
It's not horrible, there's been much worse lately. But it's lacking. That is what I was getting at.

Not sure what you mean by the Flickr comparison, they dont screen pictures...

Right, I understand.
I meant it wasn't rejected here for that reason and nobody told me anything on Flickr where it had a respectable number of views. I wasn't too clear on my response.