RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Do you Bracket (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15859)

jlg759 10-25-2012 01:28 PM

Do you Bracket

I have a question do some of you bracket your shots (not for HDR) but to be sure you get the shot?

If so what bracketing amount do you use. I have read where many pro- photographers use bracketing and just wondering if it has a place in railfan photos.

Chris Z 10-25-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlg759 (Post 160544)
I have a question do some of you bracket your shots (not for HDR) but to be sure you get the shot?

If so what bracketing amount do you use. I have read where many pro- photographers use bracketing and just wondering if it has a place in railfan photos.

Shooting RAW seems to take care of the exposure problem. At least for me. I accidently hit the bracketing button once and started getting exposures all over the place with a moving train and ended up with some ruined shots.

Chris z

Mr. Pick 10-25-2012 02:50 PM

Hard to bracket a moving train as there is usually an ideal spot you want to capture it in and they don't stand still for a second or third shot in that spot. I do sometimes bracket stationary objects and landscapes, etc.

travsirocz 10-25-2012 03:08 PM

Why would you bracket with a digital camera just to make sure you get the shot? I don't see the point as you are able to see your image's exposure instantly along with a histogram on many cameras.
Bracketing is a film technique which is now great for HDR in the digital world.

Holloran Grade 10-25-2012 06:39 PM

No, not unless I am doing an HDR.

Planning the shot out correctly and setting the exposure and f-stop ahead of time solves the problem.

trainboysd40 10-25-2012 06:51 PM

I voted sometimes because, while I don't do HDR per se, I only use it for multiple exposures. I find that getting the exposure right beforehand is better than saying 'Well, the train was in the wrong spot in the correctly exposed one'

nikos1 10-25-2012 08:12 PM

I honestly see no point in bracketing unless your going to do HDR, thats the only time I use it. Bracketing a moving train is dumb imo, better to get your exposure right to begin with so you can focus on getting the composition right.

Joe the Photog 10-25-2012 09:31 PM

I do once a year in late March, early April. I usually suck at it though. One time the bracket was won by a girl picking on the team nickname.

CSX1702 10-25-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 160555)
I do once a year in late March, early April. I usually suck at it though. One time the bracket was won by a girl picking on the team nickname.

Is it sad that you had me confused for a second there? :lol:

jnohallman 10-26-2012 12:50 AM

Before I answer, which railroad are we referring to? :twisted:

Jon