RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Class 1 Railroad Discussion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Union Pacific 1983 (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2304)

4kV 08-10-2005 10:04 AM

Union Pacific 1983

The Western Pacific engine is scheduled to leave Dupo, IL on IDULA 10 this morning around 04:00. This may make a good opportunity for a shot in KC this afternoon. It is the lead unit in front of UP 4689 and NS 8944. This will be the first opportunity to catch it on a freight train rather than pulling business cars.

dodi4200 08-10-2005 01:29 PM

yea thats will be very nice chance for catching in it in frieght train
so iam wait to see yur pix of this this union pacific loco.

bnsf sammy 08-10-2005 04:48 PM

are any of those units planning on coming to california?

4kV 08-11-2005 01:16 AM

This one is on IDULA 10, so it should be in LA on the 13th. Last I saw it was supposed to be 8 in the morning, but that will change as the next couple days progress.

4kV 08-11-2005 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodi4200
yea thats will be very nice chance for catching in it in frieght train
so iam wait to see yur pix of this this union pacific loco.

No pics from me. I had to work until 6:30 in the morning. I got to Kirkwood, MO in hopes to catch it, but arrived 10 minutes after it went through. Lighting would have been bad anyway, since it was heading west at sunrise, so I likely would not have shot it unless I could find some interesting silhouette shot or something.

4kV 08-11-2005 06:42 AM

Here is a shot by John Witthaus before it departed at 03:21. The fog gives it a nice touch.

[photoid=115105]

dodi4200 08-11-2005 11:09 AM

this pic is really very nice one
i were coming to the topic for posting the pic after i saw it but i found that you post before me :D
is UNION PACIFIC is just have the 1982 and the 1983 in the new paint or there is more than 2 locos?
can i know the plans of UNION PACIFIC company for the new paints of there locos?

4kV 08-11-2005 11:44 AM

Quote:

this pic is really very nice one
i were coming to the topic for posting the pic after i saw it but i found that you post before me :D
is UNION PACIFIC is just have the 1982 and the 1983 in the new paint or there is more than 2 locos?
can i know the plans of UNION PACIFIC company for the new paints of there locos?

So far it is only 1982 and 1983. There are several threads on the forum discussing the future plans. I can't recall which specific ones, but they should be pretty easily located, probably in the western discussion.

BNSF7687 08-11-2005 04:46 PM

Missouri Pacific, Western Pacific, Denver and Rio Grande Western, Southern Pacific, Chicago & Northwestern.

I think they paint will be applied on SD70ACes, but possibly a GEVO or two.

NicTrain35 08-11-2005 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4kV
Here is a shot by John Witthaus before it departed at 03:21. The fog gives it a nice touch.

[photoid=115105]

Nice shot, John!

Pat Lorenz 08-12-2005 05:35 AM

"Missouri Pacific, Western Pacific, Denver and Rio Grande Western, Southern Pacific, Chicago & Northwestern."

Dont forget the MKT paint scheme too. They are painting one in that scheme. I am sure they will be all ACE's but i would like to see the C&NW and mabey the SP unit on a GEVO.

dodi4200 08-12-2005 06:40 PM

did union pacific bought MKT too?
i think that union pacific become now the most powerful company in frieght field.

cmherndon 08-12-2005 10:02 PM

Quote:

did union pacific bought MKT too?
"Hostile takeover" would probably be a more suitable term.

Quote:

i think that union pacific become now the most powerful company in frieght field.
They're the biggest Class 1 railroad (but certainly not the best).

dodi4200 08-13-2005 01:12 PM

can i know the reasons of being it not the best?

bnsf sammy 08-15-2005 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Lorenz
" I am sure they will be all ACE's but i would like to see the C&NW and mabey the SP unit on a GEVO.

yea but then wouldnt it just look like the dash 9's that were in SP?

J 08-16-2005 02:00 PM

Quote:

can i know the reasons of being it not the best?

UP had two difficult mergers in the 1990's with CNW and SP. Integrating two railroad systems is never easy but some carriers do a better job than others. With CNW, a major challenge was swinging grain traffic that often went to the nearest CNW river port to a longer haul on UP. This added congestion and slowed the cycle of cars back to the elevators. With SP, changes in switching patterns in the Gulf Coast (closing Strang TX and moving chemical switching to SP's Englewood yard) quickly bogged things down until a signficant portion of the system was choked with too much traffic and too few crews and locomotives. Much of these troubles are behind UP now. They have purchased about 2000 locomotives and conducted a major double tracking of the former SP Sunset route (Los Angeles to El Paso).

CNW4404 08-18-2005 04:30 PM

Union Pacific also had a "meltdown" in 1997 after taking over the SP. Almost the entire Sunset Route (ex-SP) became clogged down and no trains were able to get through without having their crews time out, and UP actually used trucks to get the trailers from their UPS trains moving.

Pat Lorenz 08-18-2005 10:46 PM

Your right about the trucks, UP still uses trucks as well. Union Paicific acually owns a trucking company called 'Over-Nite'. I dont know if it is my wrong thinking but i dont think UP had a UPS contract in 1997. I thought the contract was failrly recent one, as of 2002 or so. Please somebody correct me if i am wrong. I beleive it was BNSF who always had the UPS contract and then BNSF was asked to do more UPS moves and so they (BNSF) turned some of the UPS moves over to UP. Again correct my information. I belive in 1997 that the truck were used for high priority goods, like perishables and other mail, but not UPS.

4kV 08-18-2005 11:15 PM

Quote:

Union Paicific acually owns a trucking company called 'Over-Nite'.

Overnite is owned by UPS.

J 08-19-2005 01:30 AM

Quote:

Your right about the trucks, UP still uses trucks as well. Union Paicific acually owns a trucking company called 'Over-Nite'. I dont know if it is my wrong thinking but i dont think UP had a UPS contract in 1997. I thought the contract was failrly recent one, as of 2002 or so. Please somebody correct me if i am wrong. I beleive it was BNSF who always had the UPS contract and then BNSF was asked to do more UPS moves and so they (BNSF) turned some of the UPS moves over to UP. Again correct my information. I belive in 1997 that the truck were used for high priority goods, like perishables and other mail, but not UPS.

UP sold Overnight to UPS a year or so ago. While owned by the railroad Overnight was unsuccessfully targeted for organization by the Teamsters. UP won a UPS contract but subsequently was unable to deliver the specified service. BNSF chose not to compete as they had congestion of their own to deal with.

Pat Lorenz 08-19-2005 03:24 AM

Alright, now when did UP get the UPS contract? It wasnt back in '97, i thought it was a couple years ago, because UPS wanted BNSF to run a super 'hot' train between somewhere like LA and Chicago but the BNSF refused the deal so it went to the UP. But all this wasnt in '97, Right?

BNSF_SD40-2B 08-19-2005 01:37 PM

I believe BNSF gave the bullet train up because UPS didn't pay enough for such a hot train.It costed BNSF to sideline all the other trains on its trip.

So basically BNSF was losing money on that deal.