RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Does High School Make People Smarter? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6078)

Northern Limits 10-30-2007 02:52 AM

Does High School Make People Smarter?

I posted this picture today, but here is the rest of the story.

[photoid=209055]

While waiting for CN460 on Sept 26th I heard the engineer blast his horn in something other than the standard crossing pattern. There was some delay until I heard the horn again for the crossing and the wait for him to come into view seemed long.
When he did come into view he called in to the other train waiting at the next siding for a meet. The engineer reported (more politely than I would have) that teens were lying between the rails playing chicken, seeing who could stay there the longest. :confused: As a result of the emergency braking, he had to stop and rebuild his air pressure.
I couldn't believe what I was hearing. However, I packed up my gear and drove to the incident area, took a picture of the teens still there, and went to the high school principal to put in a report. (The track runs right beside the high school).
Since then the CN Police have made a few educational visits.

Any old time UP employees remember the "Written in Blood" slide show? I have a copy I was going to bring to the principal.

BTW, the clouds came before the train did so I didn't get my fantastic planned shot :roll:

Ween 10-30-2007 04:00 AM

Quote:

It does when accidents happen and these types get removed from the gene pool. I guess that's a morbid way to make a positive out of the high school education system...

dodi4200 11-01-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Limits
that teens were lying between the rails playing chicken

Im sorry i donot know what is the meaning of playing chicken as i read it before on acomment on youtube for atrain video.Please if anyone can explain it to me it will be much appreciated.

JRMDC 11-01-2007 07:04 PM

Basically, putting oneself at risk and then jumping away to safety at the very last moment. A game of (superficial?) courage and foolishness.

More than you ever wanted to know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_chicken

JimThias 11-01-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodi4200
Im sorry i donot know what is the meaning of playing chicken as i read it before on acomment on youtube for atrain video.Please if anyone can explain it to me it will be much appreciated.

Have you ever seen the movie "Footloose"?

Carl Becker 11-02-2007 02:32 AM

<b>Disclaimer: If you're not interested in reading a little bit of mildly crude humor, then don't read further.</b>

Quote:

In some ways way more than others. :lol: :wink:

Ironically, it's probably best quoted here.

Generally, it's mostly getting more educated about:

Quote:

Whos the best dressed and who's having sex
Whos got the money. Who gets the Honeys,
Whos kinda cute and whos just a mess
Sorry, just had to poke at that one. :D

Northern Limits 11-02-2007 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Becker
<b>Disclaimer: If you're not interested in reading a little bit of mildly crude humor, then don't read further.</b>

Sorry, just had to poke at that one. :D

After reading the words to the song (ironically true) I'll refrain from making a comment about your last statement. Probably not the direction we want this thread to go :twisted:

Slopes09 11-02-2007 05:26 AM

Being a recent high school grad, and a currently enrolled college student, I believe I should chime in. My answer is the following:
<B><BIG>NO.</B></BIG>

And you know the scarier part? College just seems to continue the trend.

Of course, this is speaking as a mildly ostracized, one of what seems like 20 people on my campus of 40,000 who doesn't drink/party... i.e. not your average college student.

Tg 11-03-2007 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Limits
I posted this picture today, but here is the rest of the story.

[photoid=209055]

Any old time UP employees remember the "Written in Blood" slide show? I have a copy I was going to bring to the principal.

LOL yea. Its a video now, a classic like "Getting off on the Right Foot".

Cyclonetrain 11-03-2007 05:02 AM

If an idiot like me can pull off a 3.6 GPA, then nope.
Just thinking about all the idiots and potheads I know at school, and thinking they can legally operate a 3 ton mass of steel on rubber tires. Man, it makes me afraid to ever get in a car again.

Frederick 11-03-2007 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclonetrain
If an idiot like me can pull off a 3.6 GPA, then nope.
Just thinking about all the idiots and potheads I know at school, and thinking they can legally operate a 3 ton mass of steel on rubber tires. Man, it makes me afraid to ever get in a car again.

I doubt you're an idiot. Your grammar seems good, at least.

dodi4200 11-03-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC
Basically, putting oneself at risk and then jumping away to safety at the very last moment. A game of (superficial?) courage and foolishness.

More than you ever wanted to know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_chicken

I thik now that i know it.I saw before avideo for aman standing face to face with atrain while its coming at aspeed of about 120kph and before the train was about to hit him he jumped to safety side.Its really avery dangerous game.Thanks alot JRMDC for explaining.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias
Have you ever seen the movie "Footloose"?

I havenot see it before but looks acool one.I will try to search and download it.