RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Question on Composition (Balance): The subject is awkwardly positioned in the frame. (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18069)

cyberdoctorind 03-08-2018 05:41 PM

Question on Composition (Balance): The subject is awkwardly positioned in the frame.
 
I have earned one more rejection :(, this time with Rule of thirds. Does this pic not confirm to the Rule of thirds?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...44&key=6526196

Thanks in advance

bigbassloyd 03-08-2018 06:02 PM

The main area of interest (the train) is centered vertically in the shot. So make a call on whether to crop some of the top or bottom to make it more RP-ealing :D

Loyd L.

baggydave 03-08-2018 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would respectfully suggest that they are looking for something like this. However I am not the one who regularly gets things right on this site!!:):):)


Attachment 9591

bigbassloyd 03-08-2018 07:02 PM

I like the corrections sir baggy of dave did, including the adjustment of the underexposure on the original :)

Loyd L.

Grewup on the CW 03-08-2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 193631)
I like the corrections sir baggy of dave did, including the adjustment of the underexposure on the original :)

Loyd L.

I agree except, I would crop the pole on the right edge out as it gives the appearance of unlevel even though it is spot on.

JimThias 03-09-2018 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW (Post 193632)
I agree except, I would crop the pole on the right edge out as it gives the appearance of unlevel even though it is spot on.

Or, just do some simple perspective correction of the pole. :-)

bigbassloyd 03-09-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 193633)
Or, just do some simple perspective correction of the pole. :-)

10 characters

Loyd L.

troy12n 03-09-2018 11:03 PM

Jesus Christ, India looks so depressing

(love the half-built decaying building on the left)

It's like Detroit, but it was never nice

troy12n 03-09-2018 11:04 PM

Also, caternary, but shitty alco powered pollution machine?

JRMDC 03-11-2018 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 193635)
Jesus Christ, India looks so depressing

(love the half-built decaying building on the left)

It's like Detroit, but it was never nice

You need to spend time seeing more of the US! Looking at this shot, and many shots I have seen, or places I have seen, in the US, I would not single out India.

troy12n 03-11-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 193641)
You need to spend time seeing more of the US! Looking at this shot, and many shots I have seen, or places I have seen, in the US, I would not single out India.

I've seen plenty of depressing places in the U.S. like Detroit, NYC in the early 80's, Baltimore, the ENTIRE state of Ohio, parts of rural WV post-coal, but the difference is here at least structures were at least finished, and nice once.

What is pictured looks like someone started building it, said "fuck it", then let it rot. Not sure too much of that exists here.

miningcamper1 03-12-2018 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 193644)
I've seen plenty of depressing places in the U.S. like Detroit, NYC in the early 80's, Baltimore, the ENTIRE state of Ohio, parts of rural WV post-coal, but the difference is here at least structures were at least finished, and nice once.

What is pictured looks like someone started building it, said "fuck it", then let it rot. Not sure too much of that exists here.

Another classic Troy charm offensive! :lol:

ALL of Ohio???

Decapod401 03-12-2018 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193645)
Another classic Troy charm offensive! :lol:

ALL of Ohio???

The consummate diplomat!:lol:

troy12n 03-12-2018 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193645)
Another classic Troy charm offensive! :lol:

ALL of Ohio???

Ohio is about the most shitty of flyover states... yeah, I stand by that

cyberdoctorind 03-12-2018 05:17 AM

I have been travelling so couldn't get to RP in the meanwhile :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 193629)
The main area of interest (the train) is centered vertically in the shot. So make a call on whether to crop some of the top or bottom to make it more RP-ealing

Loyd L.

Thank you, I will carry out these changes.

[quote=baggydave;193630]I would respectfully suggest that they are looking for something like this. However I am not the one who regularly gets things right on this site!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 193631)
I like the corrections sir baggy of dave did, including the adjustment of the underexposure on the original :)

Loyd L.

Thank you. I will redo the exposure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW (Post 193632)
I agree except, I would crop the pole on the right edge out as it gives the appearance of unlevel even though it is spot on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 193633)
Or, just do some simple perspective correction of the pole. :-)

Agreed with your perspective. Will take the pole out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 193635)
Jesus Christ, India looks so depressing

(love the half-built decaying building on the left)

It's like Detroit, but it was never nice

It's the not only with India but with every so called Megapolis'es across the world. You will find on-going construction, abandoned buildings etc. The half-build decaying building is being constructed, talk about quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 193644)
I've seen plenty of depressing places in the U.S. like Detroit, NYC in the early 80's, Baltimore, the ENTIRE state of Ohio, parts of rural WV post-coal, but the difference is here at least structures were at least finished, and nice once.

What is pictured looks like someone started building it, said "fuck it", then let it rot. Not sure too much of that exists here.

Agreed !!. In this case, some one started building it and is still building it. :-D

Chase55671 03-19-2018 03:32 PM

In the latest version you uploaded, just give us a little exposure boost. Composition is improved. thx

Chase55671 03-19-2018 03:55 PM

[photoid=652076]

miningcamper1 03-19-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 193717)
[photoid=652076]

Wow, so dark and smoggy looking, and my editor agrees with that assessment.

Oh, well. Plenty of other photos to look at.

cyberdoctorind 03-20-2018 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 193716)
In the latest version you uploaded, just give us a little exposure boost. Composition is improved. thx

Sure will do. Thank you for your feedback :)


Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193719)
Wow, so dark and smoggy looking, and my editor agrees with that assessment.

Oh, well. Plenty of other photos to look at.

I am not sure if this is a correct one to get accepted or not, but nevertheless one more. I brighten it up, It gets rejected with an overexposure clause. I tried it and it has been rejected. I do not say this is a great photograph to look at and as you say there are better one's out there to look at but as far as I see the consistency of review is kind off On / Off in RP which confuses me. You might call it "learning the correct / hard way"

miningcamper1 03-20-2018 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberdoctorind (Post 193722)




I am not sure if this is a correct one to get accepted or not, but nevertheless one more. I brighten it up, It gets rejected with an overexposure clause. I tried it and it has been rejected. I do not say this is a great photograph to look at and as you say there are better one's out there to look at but as far as I see the consistency of review is kind off On / Off in RP which confuses me. You might call it "learning the correct / hard way"

Good that it was accepted, but Dave's suggestion above is so much brighter looking.

RobJor 03-20-2018 12:47 PM

I realize we are restricted by our subject but seemingly in a country like India you could find more like your most recent.

[photoid=652201]

Lot to look at, rich in detail, can overlook some hiccups in the processing.

The prior one we were talking about is basically a nose shot and like many along lines here, you can sit all day and take similar photos, different train, 1 mile up the track, same photo.

There are some other nice ones, your best unfortunately has the watermark TDC.

Bob

A little oddity to me, I see a lot of images from India. Back a month ago I posted an image from Mexico and it is still the last one.

cyberdoctorind 03-21-2018 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobJor (Post 193724)
I realize we are restricted by our subject but seemingly in a country like India you could find more like your most recent.

[photoid=652201]

Lot to look at, rich in detail, can overlook some hiccups in the processing.

The prior one we were talking about is basically a nose shot and like many along lines here, you can sit all day and take similar photos, different train, 1 mile up the track, same photo.

There are some other nice ones, your best unfortunately has the watermark TDC.

Bob

A little oddity to me, I see a lot of images from India. Back a month ago I posted an image from Mexico and it is still the last one.

Thanks Rob for liking this photograph :)

The rail fanning community in India is very active and there are a few very good photographers in India who share their work here on RP and yes there is a lot of variety that can be captured in the sub-continent as rightly pointed out.

Coming to me, My work has started being accepted on RP after being rejected Right, Left and Center over a period of time. Most of my work will not be accepted at RP either due to cloudy shots,High sun,soft images when resized to RP Specs coupled with my novice Post Processing Skills.

I use 500px to showcase my work

https://500px.com/shivakalyans/galle...ian-railways-1

Please feel free to suggest improvements which I shall gladly incorporate.

JimThias 03-22-2018 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 193717)
[photoid=652076]

With the poles leveled on the right, all the poles on the left side are leaning to the right.

That either means the image is very unlevel, or wide angle distortion correction was only applied on the right side.

The building is leaning too...just like the poles.

cyberdoctorind 03-22-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 193730)
With the poles leveled on the right, all the poles on the left side are leaning to the right.

That either means the image is very unlevel, or wide angle distortion correction was only applied on the right side.

The building is leaning too...just like the poles.


Yeah Agreed, I stay close to the place where I have made this photograph. I will shoot a few sample shots to understand the distortion better. Thanks for pointing out.

cyberdoctorind 03-22-2018 05:46 PM

Here I am again :)

1. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...45&key=3700957 -- Rejected due to ROT
2. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...63&key=7588205 -- Rejected due to ROT

3. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...89&key=7219836 -- Rejected due to softness

The question that I have is. How does #3 conform to the Rules of thirds while #1 & #2 do not. I am seriously contemplating to sell my gear and stop photographing going by the rate of Rejections :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.