RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Distracting Shadows? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10080)

CP990 06-25-2009 11:38 PM

Distracting Shadows?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=839052259

Dave.

Save The Wave 06-25-2009 11:43 PM

That's a little beyond distracting.

JimThias 06-26-2009 12:02 AM

Dave, that might work for bridgepictures.net. I'm sure they'd like that morning light on it. :twisted:

CP990 06-26-2009 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 92995)
Dave, that might work for bridgepictures.net. I'm sure they'd like that morning light on it. :twisted:

.............. or davesphotopages.com :lol: He'll take anything hahahaha

Dave.

jlev 06-26-2009 12:08 AM

I know that Norfolk and Southern's motive power is black, but I do see a big shadow on the nose. In addition, the train itself is poorly lit.

This is definately a "let go" situation. Unfortunately, this shot isn't going to get in. Keep learning. The image quality isn't too bad.

TheRoadForeman 06-26-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlev (Post 92999)
This is definately a "let go" situation. Unfortunately, this shot isn't going to get in. Keep learning.

Good advice! I think someone else needs to learn, more than Dave does though.

Ween 06-26-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman (Post 93002)

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! :lol:

TheRoadForeman 06-26-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween (Post 93003)
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! :lol:

I'm far from the best photographer myself but, I call it as I see it Chris!! LOL :-D

ccaranna 06-26-2009 12:48 AM

I like it. If we're talking about the shadows on the bridge being distracting, I feel they can be overlooked by the fact that the nose glint is great. The truck in the background adds something to it as well. Too bad. Great golden hour pic.

Chase55671 06-26-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman (Post 93002)

Hehehe.. Epic win!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccaranna (Post 93008)
I like it. If we're talking about the shadows on the bridge being distracting, I feel they can be overlooked by the fact that the nose glint is great. The truck in the background adds something to it as well. Too bad. Great golden hour pic.

I sure hope you're joking! Either you're, or you just like to start arguments. The shadows on that engine are beyond repair. The image is too dark, and lacks detail.

Chase

ccaranna 06-26-2009 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 93011)
Hehehe.. Epic win!

I sure hope you're joking! Either you're, or you just like to start arguments. The shadows on that engine are beyond repair. The image is too dark, and lacks detail.

Chase

Nope, dead serious and not trying to start an argument. I'm not sure where there's a written rule that all pictures have to show the train in perfectly even lighting.

And there's enough detail. I think you're missing the bigger picture here. There's more to the picture than the train. I'll grant you it may not be perfect, but it's got value to me. It's better than a lot of things I see make it in. Where's that thread that someone posted the other day showcasing questionable images? I'll trade all 4 or 5 of them for this one.

He doesn't need me fighting his battles, but do you know how much experience Dave has? Easily more than twice than you and I combined.

Dave, there's a plug for ya! :D

Chase55671 06-26-2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccaranna (Post 93020)
Nope, dead serious and not trying to start an argument. I'm not sure where there's a written rule that all pictures have to show the train in perfectly even lighting.

And there's enough detail. I think you're missing the bigger picture here. There's more to the picture than the train. I'll grant you it may not be perfect, but it's got value to me. It's better than a lot of things I see make it in. Where's that thread that someone posted the other day showcasing questionable images? I'll trade all 4 or 5 of them for this one.

He doesn't need me fighting his battles, but do you know how much experience Dave has? Easily more than twice than you and I combined.

Dave, there's a plug for ya! :D

I personally think that an image with either full light or no light at all is far better than a half lit NS dash 9. There is very little detail. As Loyd has said, if you cannot tell coupler/air hose structure, the image is too dark. I've found it to be pretty accurate in several images of my own and others.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "I'm missing the picture". There is nothing that makes this image stand out to me. There is a bridge, and a cut off truck in the background. Not very exciting to me.

Just to make things clear, Dave. I'm not bashing YOU, I'm just not a fan of this image, although I generally do like the images you submit and I do visit your website often.

stevenmwelch 06-26-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 93022)
I personally think that an image with either full light or no light at all is far better than a half lit NS dash 9. There is very little detail. As Loyd has said, if you cannot tell coupler/air hose structure, the image is too dark. I've found it to be pretty accurate in several images of my own and others.

That makes total sense. The shot is just a wedgie of a half lit Dash 9 with some glint on the nose. Whoopdie do!

Quote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "I'm missing the picture". There is nothing that makes this image stand out to me. There is a bridge, and a cut off truck in the background. Not very exciting to me.
There's a truck in that shot? Where? Seriously. I just see glint on a bridge and half a nose of a Dash 9. Even in good light this shot is sub-par. The bridge isn't attractive at all and it looks very bland and blah.

Quote:

Just to make things clear, Dave. I'm not bashing YOU, I'm just not a fan of this image, although I generally do like the images you submit and I do visit your website often.
ChaseyBoy, wipe your nose... :lol::lol::lol:

For sure you'll want to file this shot into the archives, Dave.

CP990 06-26-2009 12:02 PM

Wow .......... you guy's been talking bout me while I was sleepin'? haha

OK .. for those who aren't too sure here's the daylight shots of Alliance, east and west. Now we got plenty of light on the knuckles and hoses (I don't see why you need that in your shots, they are all the same anyways haha) ....

Personally, I love this shot, mainly 'cause I took it, of course I might be biased but that's Ok. If you look at the 2 attached you might realize why this shot is very special. It doesn't happen too often.

And No ............ I won't be filing this one away in the archives, it's front page material.

Dave.

milwman 06-26-2009 12:22 PM

As far as getting it on here thats a long shot, If it just had more sun on it. A lot of good shots don't get on here with a flaw small or big, and normal boring lit shots that we all have get in groves. Thats just the way it go's. Now if you try to get the train in the window shot on here you may get photo of the week with that. You just have to figure out what they want or will take.

CP990 06-26-2009 12:49 PM

I don't take too much very seriously here. Matter of fact I mostly agree with the rejection reasons for my stuff. I take photos for myself and not RP, so it comes as no surprise that a lot of it doesn't get in.

Here's a reflection shot for you. I used it on the front cover of my CVSR book that I published last year.

Dave.

Chase55671 06-26-2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP990 (Post 93027)
Wow .......... you guy's been talking bout me while I was sleepin'? haha

OK .. for those who aren't too sure here's the daylight shots of Alliance, east and west. Now we got plenty of light on the knuckles and hoses (I don't see why you need that in your shots, they are all the same anyways haha) ....

Personally, I love this shot, mainly 'cause I took it, of course I might be biased but that's Ok. If you look at the 2 attached you might realize why this shot is very special. It doesn't happen too often.

And No ............ I won't be filing this one away in the archives, it's front page material.

Dave.

Hmm, if they were nice and sunny, I'd say they'd be accepted. Perhaps you should try standing on the bridge (assuming that is possible)? I like the platform you have in your second image. Seems like a good spot for a nice wedgie.

Chase

CP990 06-26-2009 10:45 PM

More sunny wedgies .................... just what we need :twisted: :-D

Dave.